Alien Breed Evolution

Aftrunner

Game : Alien Breed Evolution

Developers : Team 17

Platforms : 360 timed exclusive. PC and PS3 to follow.

Release date : TBA

Right! Couldnt find a thread for this so I made one. Its a top down shooter made on UE3 and it looks absolutely stunning.

Link to a very promising EG preview. Clicky.

And a couple of screenshots.

2.jpg.jpg

3.jpg.jpg

• 4 months later...

Right, tried the demo. First impressions.

For starters the demo is very short. Insanely short. 7-10 minutes tops. Visually it looks good. Its not in the same class as Shadow complex but it still looks very nice. Esp in motion. The lighting is superb, the texture detail is pretty good and the environments look very nice and detailed. The controls are nice and tight. Left stick moves, right stick aims, weapons swap with Dpad etc. At no point in the (very brief) demo I felt that controls were a problem. Sound is good. The levels look suitably creepy and when the aliens do burst out of holes it does get the adrenaline kicking. All in all it feels like a solid top down shooter.

But here is my problem. The demo is too short and all it shows off is that the game is a Serious Sam clone in topdown view. You see enemies and you start shooting them while backpedaling. Thats it. There is no strategy, no specific weapons that stand out, no items, no abilities, no puzzles etc. Just shooting and thats all. Its good fun but its not enough to sell me the game. If they had showed me more I might have bit but right now I am not impressed. Co op could be fun and it might sell the game to me but at the moment it feels very... bland.

I still get the feeling that there is a good game in there maybe the demo is doing a poor job of showing it to me but for now I think I will wait for the PC version. At least that way I will get to play it maxxed out with a mouse and keyboard.

Also from what I can make out if you die you restart from the beginning. It could be that the demo is so short that it ends before a checkpoint. But if that is not the case they can go f**k themselves. In this day and age there is no excuse for not having save points. It aint the f**king NES you are developing for.

I think the EG review did complain about the save system.

Either way, nice impressions. Sounds like a fun game (I loved the Alien Shooter games - mindless shooting FTW!). Is the PC version of this delayed or something?

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I bought this and played for a while. So far it feels a little underwhelming, I was hoping for a mindless shooter with LOUD guns but the first section which I played is a long fetch quest and endless backtracking to find keys and consoles. The guns feel weak and don't sound good enough. I was also hoping they'd throw in an Alien Shooter like leveling up system but there's nothing like that here. Graphics are nice though and the comic book like cutscenes are actually pretty cool.

I hope it picks up later because after playing for around 30 minutes I had the urge to quit and get back to playing The Saboteur.

I need to play some more before I pass judgment on this.

Ty if you got UT2004 google for Alien Swarm. Its a community made mod and its miles ahead of this game. Its got classes, specialization, tactics etc. And its got co op too.

Hard as hell though.

• 4 months later...

PC version is out on Steam. Its supposed to be the Enhanced edition with fixes and some new stuff over the XBLA version. Anyone getting it? I am kinda curious but I am not sure if its worth the 15 bucks. Esp if no one buys it and I cant co op.

Edit Spin already has it according to Steam. Where are you, you bastard? :devil:

Archived