Publisher: Namco Bandai

Genre: J-RPG

Platform: Xbox 360

Modes: Single Player, Local Co-op

Release Dates: Japan: June 14, 2007

North America : September 19, 2007

Official Website : http://eternalsonata.namcobandaigames.com/

STORY

The story takes place in a dream world which centers around famed piano composer Frédéric Chopin, who died at the age of 39 due to tuberculosis. The plot centers around the concept that three hours prior to his death, Chopin dreamed of a fairy-tale land, in which people with incurable diseases have great magical powers.

In the dream world, Chopin meets a young girl in the Village of Tenuto, Polka, who also suffers from an incurable disease.

Eternal Sonata features a battle system centered around musical elements and character-unique special attacks. Light and darkness plays a part in the appearance and abilities of enemies on the battlefield, as well as the types of magic that can be cast.

The game features a selection of Chopin's compositions played by pianist Stanislav Bunin, though most of the in-game music was composed by Motoi Sakuraba.

CHARACTERS

Chopin

Sex: Male

Weapon: Baton

"I can basically use all kinds of magic. I am dreaming up this world, after all."

His full name is Fryderyk Franciszek Chopin. Born in Poland in 1810, he is known as the "poet of the piano". Of weak constitution, he nevertheless has a deeply sensitive and subtle personality. In particular, the loss of his 14-year-old sister Emilia to tuberculosis left a deep scar on his heart. Chopin can see traces of her in Polka, also 14 and destined to die. While knowing that the world in which he meets Allegretto and Polka is just a dream he is having on his death bed, gradually he becomes more and more confused by how real the world feels. He begins to question where his true feelings lie. All the words he speaks come out as poetry.

Allegretto

Weapon: Sword

"It doesn't make sense! In this world the people with shining hearts are the ones who suffer! ...That's supposed to be okay?!?"

A boy who works as a bread thief in the port city of Ritardando to provide food for poor children. Though he knows what he is doing is wrong, his strong sense of justice refuses to let him abandon the children. He uses rough language and occasionally even hits his young friend Beat, but in reality he is deeply emotional, and thinks of his young friend as a little brother. With the contradiction of a world where the gap between rich and poor lying especially hard on his mind, Allegretto sets off on journey. He is captivated by Polka, who makes light of her own tragic fate while living each day with earnest, and resolves to save her.

Polka

Sex: Female

Weapon: Parasol

"I want to use this limited life of mine to give everyone happiness."

A girl who lives with her mother in the village of Tenuto, on top of a hill overlooking the port of Ritardando. She makes her living by selling Floral Sealing Medicine, extracted from Tenuto's unique flowers. However, due to the circulation of cheap government-recognized Ore Sealing Medicine, lately she has been unable to sell any medicine at all. In a world where magic is a side-effect seen in those cursed by a fatal and incurable disease, death is always close to a magic-user such as she. Added to such a cruel fate are rumors flying about that the disease is transmitted simply through contact, leading Polka to be shunned by humanity and causing her to lose all trust in others. However, after meeting Chopin, she decides to use what little remains of her life to help others.

Beat

Weapon: Clarinet Gunhammer

"Why is bread this expensive? If it were a little cheaper, we could just buy it..."

Works as a bread thief with Allegretto in the port city of Ritardando. Beat calls Allegretto "Niichan" (big brother) and adores him like an older brother. A camera that is the only surviving memento of his father is his treasure. Beat is short for his age and is bothered by his height. Sporting a bright and cheerful personality, he is able to talk to anyone and everyone freely. Though he does not usually think very hard, in many cases his sincere words come surprisingly close to the real truth.

BOX ART

esboxarthl4.jpg

New Eternal Sonata details, still 360 exclusive

From Xbox360 Fanboy

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/08/17/ne...-360-exclusive/

During an Eternal Sonata conference call last night, we managed to clarify some details on the game and even uncover some new details. First of all, we learned that the game should take about 30 hours to complete for players that wish to simply charge through. If, however, you wish to complete all the side-quests (and you won't get the full story if you don't), it will take much longer. In fact, some of the side-quests aren't even accessible on the first play-through, so players will have at least some incentive to go through the game more than once. RPG fans hoping for some downloadable goodness on par with Blue Dragon will likely be disappointed to hear that very little is planned at this point. In fact, the only DLC planned right now is actually an unlock key to listen to music from the game. What's more, this content is unlockable in the game itself, so the DLC is basically moot. On a more positive note the game will contain both English and Japanese voice tracks, so purists won't have to cover their ears.

On the gameplay side of things, we did learn that there are a total of 10 playable characters in the game, though you can only have three in your party at any given time. Furthermore, not every character will be available at all points in the game. Also, the game has a multiplayer feature of sorts. While not a true multiplayer mode, you can control each party member with a different controller during battles, so you can let your friends get in on at least some of the action.

Finally, Eternal Sonata is still planned as an Xbox 360 exclusive at this point in time. So, if you want get down with Chopin's fever dream fantasy, you can only do it on 360 (for now anyway). Eternal Sonata is due to arrive next month.

Anticipation for the game seemed high prior to release, with the game having reached number four in Amazon Japan video game pre-orders not long after a demo was made available on the Japanese Marketplace, and even number one on Amazon Japan's video game charts not long before the game's release. Famitsu rated the game 9/9/9/8, for a total score of 35/40. During its release week, the game reached second place on the Japanese sales charts. The following week, it had placed 35th.

At E3 2007, it won GameTrailers.com's award for Best Role-Playing Game and IGN's award for Best Artistic Design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Sonata

Anticipation for the game seemed high prior to release, with the game having reached number four in Amazon Japan video game pre-orders not long after a demo was made available on the Japanese Marketplace, and even number one on Amazon Japan's video game charts not long before the game's release. Famitsu rated the game 9/9/9/8, for a total score of 35/40. During its release week, the game reached second place on the Japanese sales charts. The following week, it had placed 35th.

At E3 2007, it won GameTrailers.com's award for Best Role-Playing Game and IGN's award for Best Artistic Design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Sonata

whats the point of posting this ,the game was a disaster in japan.

It might have been a disaster in Japan, where they have awesome RPGs like the Final Fantasy and Shin Megami Tensei series, but as far as the Xbox 360 is concerned, Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon are like the first proper JRPGs for the console. For a country that grew up on and feeds on JRPGs (crap, they're even CALLED JRPGs) of course a game like Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon will feel like playing a game from 10 years ago on a PS1, except with better graphics. Compared to a game like Final Fantasy XII, BD and ES are little pre-schoolers.

But they are the first good JRPG experiences on the Xbox 360, which is why all this brouhaha exists in the first place. What you are saying is just because someone doesn't measure up to the standards of people who judge the most beautiful supermodels in the world, doesn't mean they're ugly. :lol:

As for the demo itself, it was short and sweet and really fun, but I still love Blue Dragon a tad more. I shouldn't talk about these games just with the demos though. A demo for an RPG, especially a Jap themed one, is like trying to decide whether a 7-course meal will be nice by sampling the raw ingredients.

i never said that the game was bad or looked bad,infact i myself am looking forward to this game more than shu dragon,but what is the point of posting awikipedia entry saying that the game is on no4 at amazon ,when the game really released and bombed over there

s the point of posting this ,the game was a disaster in japan.<<

Umm nope

The game sold well in Japan and the rest of NE Asia as per the actual (Current) MS sales figures. Perhaps the third party sites you go to for your info have the wrong stats.

eternalps3.jpg

Oh Bandai Namco. You're such fibbers! It was only a month ago that you were saying you were "not aware" of a PS3 version of Eternal Sonata. Not aware? Someone is, because the game's official listing on the company's site now has it listed as a PlayStation 3 game. No release date, but it's right there under "platforms". PlayStation 3. Could be a typo, but then, we're only a week and a bit away from TGS. Could also be announced there.

• 2 weeks later...

An ode to Chopin: the history behind Eternal Sonata

By Frank Caron | Published: September 24, 2007 - 09:18AM CT

From Ars Technica : http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars...-eternal-sonata

Over the weekend, I finally made my way to the local Electronics Boutique to pick up a copy of the recently released Namco-Bandai RPG Eternal Sonata. I'd been looking forward for the title for quite a while—perhaps even longer than Blue Dragon—and finally getting to play it has been expectedly satisfying.

For those who don't know, the game revolves around the dream world of dying composer Frédéric Chopin. The game is an imagining of the dream world that Chopin was said to inhabit during his waning time alive. As usual, I'll save my full thoughts for the forthcoming review, but one aspect in particular that I'd not seen in any of the pre-release media, impressions, or even during my play-tests at E3 and at PAX was the historic asides.

At a point during each chapter, the game cuts away from the action to give you a history lesson of sorts about a specific aspect of Chopin's life and a context for many of his different compositions. I'll use the first aside as an example. The opening chapter, entitled "Raindrops," sets the mood for the game and focuses on Chopin's composition "Raindrops Prelude"—which you may know as the moving piano theme from the recent Halo 3 trailers. About two-thirds of the way through the chapter, the game cuts to a series of high-resolution shots of France and other locations important to Chopin and details one particular aspect of his life.

While some may find these interludes a tad on the long side, I can't help but marvel at what Tri-Crescendo has done. In many ways, Eternal Sonata is a proper history lesson as much as it is a Japanese RPG, and I've grown to truly enjoy and anticipate the next bit of history, music, art, and culture that has made its way into the game. It's a novel and appreciated idea that is also strangely moving.

• 1 month later...

New Characters for PS3 Enternal Sonata

From Kotaku

http://kotaku.com/gaming/notag/new-charact...nata-318069.php

PS3 owners, Bandai Namco is rewarding your patience. When the PS3 version of Eternal Sonata hits sometime next year, the game will feature new playable characters. That's right, previously non-playable Serenade and Prince Crescendo will be playable, and the PS3 version will have extra story sequences. Actually, this is pretty smart of Bandai Namco! If a game is going to be multiplatform, why not tailor each version a little?

Archived