X-Blades

KeezNah

gixbladesxr0.jpg

Developer: Gaijin Interactive / TopWare Interactive

Publisher: SouthPeak Interactive

Platforms: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, PC

Genre: Hack-and-Slash Action/Adventure

Release Date: Late 2008 (Already released in Mother Russia D:)

Following a recent trip to Sandbox's NYC-based PR office, where I visited to go hands-on with their upcoming Pandora’s Box-inspired FPS Legendary, I wondered why I hadn’t heard about "that" game before. Not Legendary—I’ve been following that one since it was announced—but a little game titled X-Blades. When I was offered a demo of the pre-alpha effort, I politely accepted, expecting—given the generic title—I’d be subjected to some lame extreme sports title based on rollerblading or ice-skating. A few minutes later, though, I found myself controlling a blade-wielding, gun-toting hottie through a colorful fantasy-inspired landscape. Cutting a swath through a sea of demonic baddies and ugly ghouls, I seamlessly switched from guns to blades, not unlike Devil May Cry's Dante, while rockin’ some amazing acrobatic feats. I was having a blast with this out-of-nowhere title—where the hell did it come from?

As it turns out, X-Blades was once Oniblade, a promising title without a publisher. One name change and publishing deal (with Monster Madness: Grave Danger's SouthPeak—Sandbox is helping out with PR) later, and we’ve got X-Blades, an anime-styled hack-and-slasher starring Ayumi, a blade-baring babe that could possibly teach Heavenly Sword’s Nariko a few tricks. The hotter-than-hell heroine packs quite a punch behind her Gun Blades—yup, those are sword/gun hybrids she’s wielding—and her rapid-fire moves, including a variety of air-catching leaps, jumps and flips complement gameplay that’s equally fast, furious and fun to watch.

Matt Cabral, AtomicGamer

Official Trailer (Russian!)

Official Website

I'll give you that, but it doesn't seem nearly as open-ended though (you're just limited to playing Ayumi throughout the entire time, or so I'm told). But then again, I haven't played the game yet. Trying to get my hands on a Russian import. :rolleyes:

I would prefer a Russian import getting her hands on me.

bow-chika-bow-b-BUT ANYWHO

xblades_int_intro.jpg

TAP Interviews President and CEO of Gaijin Entertainment - Anton Yudintsev.

Speaking of Ayumi, does she have a sister? Preferably a younger sister who is also a playable character?

No, I’m afraid I have to disappoint you on that one! Ayumi doesn’t have a sister… not right now anyway… she might have one at some point in the future, but at the moment she’s mostly on her own during her adventures - I use ‘mostly’ because she’s sometimes helped by the young fighter Jay. We’re currently thinking hard about doing something with Multiplayer - and another female character would be right for that – like a sister, niece, aunt, stepsister, girlfriend… who knows?

Sadface :)

'X-Blades' (PS3/X360/PC) Fighting Techniques - Screen

UPGRADES

1. Long-range Combat (pistols)

* Level 1: Ayumi’s pistols cause even more damage. Single shots are more effective than bursts of fire targeting nothing in particular.

* Level 2: Damage caused is again increased. Ayumi can from now on target more opponents simultaneously, bringing death to more opponents.

* Level 3: This level is the highest – and our clever treasure hunter perfects her shooting talents, causing correspondingly more damage. She also finishes a specific close combat combo with a huge burst of fire.

2. Close Combat I (blades)

* Level 1: Ayumis blitzende Klingen teilen unter den Monsterhorden zusätzlichen Schaden aus. Darüber hinaus beendet die kampfeslustige Heldin eine gelungene Nahkampfkombo mit einem besonders beeindruckenden Finishing-Move.

* Level 2: Damage caused is again increased. From this point on, Ayumi is proficient in the use of a new, even more hard-hitting double combo, which is finished with a formidable and dazzling sword strike.

* Level 3: At the highest level, Ayumi's blades are even more deadly. She also end a successfully completed complex triple close combat combo with the unbelievable "dancing swords all-round strike".

3. Close Combat II (airstrike)

* Level 1: Ayumi leaps high in the air and carries out a vertically-directed sword attack which kills all opponents in her way.

* Level 2: The heroine propels herself high in the air with a double leap and on the way down carries out a powerful blow with her blades, killing all nearby monsters – but after two leaping attacks in succession, Ayumi must take a rest period - and for a few seconds is exposed to any kind of attack.

* Level 3: Ayumi can now carry out the downward-moving leaping attack three times in succession without having to regenerate. She can also move during her rest periods and defend herself against the attacks of the monster hordes.

Source: WorthPlaying

GamesRadar: X-Blades - EXCLUSIVE Hands-On

Sex appeal is a common ingredient in videogames, but X-Blades may represent a new level in blatant eyeball-grabbing. The anime-tastic heroine, Ayumi, wears a shockingly small amount of clothing, even by gaming standards. Luckily, while she may have forgotten to bring a pair of pants on her evil demon-fighting, treasure-hunting hack 'n slash adventure, she did remember two rather badass swords... that just happen to also serve as a pair of badass guns.

Source

Gamespot has their hands on preview up here

But the feature that really sets this game apart from others in the genre is the heavy focus on the elemental qualities of your enemies and unlockable attacks.
I select you Diablo!

The controls in X-Blades are simple. You've got a button for attacking with your blades that you can tap repeatedly for a combo, and another pair to lock on and fire with your pistols.
Rage spells are mapped to any of the buttons on the controller not taken up by the sword and gun attacks.

I am a huge fan of simple button mashing and no clothes hot heroines.

• 5 months later...

Major bump - for sweet booby justice!

TopWare Unveils Amazing X-Blades “Royal Bundle” Collector’s Edition

Most Collector’s Editions suck these days. There, I said it. It may be harsh, but it’s true. Downloadable content bonuses, cheap poster maps and so called art books that are typically glorified pamphlets don’t really say “Collector’s Edition” quality to me, but nowadays that’s generally what we get. X-Blades, however, will be a rare exception thanks to TopWare Entertainment’s continued efforts to put the “Special” back in Special Edition game packages.

Today TopWare pulled the curtain back on the X-Blades “Royal Bundle,” one of the most extravagant special edition game bundles you’ll ever see. The Royal Bundle will be available for all three platforms (PC, PS3 and Xbox 360) when the game hits Europe on January 14th and include the following: a 22 cm. hand-painted statue of the game’s heroine Ayumi,

OH DAMN

a “top-class” art book (the art book that will showcase winning pieces from the recent fan art contest),

OOH DAAMN

the game’s soundtrack on CD, a strategy guide and a “double-theme” poster. PC gamers will also be treated to a spiffy mouse pad as an exclusive bonus.

*explosion*

Pricing has not yet been announced, nor has any indication been given as to whether or not SouthPeak will offer this bundle when the game comes out in the US. I certainly hope so!

:bow

Does SouthPeak have a distributor here in India?

• 1 month later...

Archived