Thief 4

Bulovski

Thief 4 officially uncloaked

Eidos Montreal crafting the cutpurse Garrett's new adventure; release date, platforms, gameplay details still under wraps.

For almost a year now, it has been an open secret that Eidos Montreal has been working on a new entry in the Thief franchise. Back then, the company issued a teaser notice explaining that its next project would begin with the letter 'T." Nothing was then heard officially about the project until last month, when yet another teaser was posted by Eidos Montreal, followed by a print advertisement indicating that news was coming today, May 11.

Today, the sequel was finally officially confirmed by Eidos Montreal, the Quebecois studio of the Japanese-owned British publisher. "We're in the early development stages for Thief 4," said Stephane D'Astous, the shop's general manager. "While it's too early for us to offer any specific game details, right now we are focused on recruiting the very best talent to join the core team at the studio." The game also has an official Web site, www.thief4.com, the forums on which are live.

The Thief franchise began life in 1998 with the highly rated Thief: The Dark Project, developed by Looking Glass Studios. The now-defunct shop released Thief II: The Metal Age two years later, followed by 2004's Thief: Deadly Shadows from Austin, Texas-based Ion Storm, which was shut down by owner Eidos in 2005. Series protagonist Garrett was rated one of the best game heroes ever in GameSpot's Greatest Games of All Time feature.

Eidos Montreal was founded in February 2007, and was revealed in November of that year to be working on another new game in a classic series, Deus Ex 3, due out in fall 2010.

When Game Announcements Go Bad: Thief 4

So, Thief 4 (we are not calling it Thi4f) has been announced! You happy? Can't see why. It's not like Eidos actually announced anything.

Let's see. They did announce that a fourth Thief game is coming. That counts for something. And they gave it a "snappy" title (at least Driv3r's "3" looked like an "E"). And...that's it. No information on the game itself. Nothing on its setting, no screenshots, nothing on its protagonists, nothing on a release window, nothing on the game's design, nothing on...well, anything.

They couldn't even offer target platforms, telling IGN:

As for platforms and consoles, things are moving so fast. There's some contradictory noise on when there's going to be the next generation, so we're going to be prudent on that one. So we're going to wait a couple of months to announce more about that. It's going to be cutting edge technology, that's for sure. It would be imprudent for us to say which console because, first of all, we don't know exactly the window of release and we don't know the first-party strategy.

In other words, Thief 4 probably exists only as some doodles on a napkin, and is so early in its production schedule it won't be shown in any form at E3 this year.

Eidos: this is not how you announce a product.

Don't expect to see Thief 4 soon :giggle:

Wipe the tears of glee and cork the anticipation. It looks like we popping skulls with blackjacks in Thief 4 for a while. An Eidos-Montreal developer recently told IncGamers (via Joystiq) that the game is currently in pre-production -- a step shy of full-blown production (or development, if you will.)

The dev, Stephane D’Astous, went on to mention that Eidos-Montreal is currently hiring. The studio is looking for 40 capable hands (which shouldn’t be that hard in this economy) to take the game into production.

If you’re wondering how long this could take, consider this: D’Astous wouldn’t comment on the platforms. Instead he said, “With the fast evolving world of hardware, there's a lot of things that will be happening in the following years so we need to be close to that - but either way, there's a lot of work to be done.”

Like we said, cork the anticipation for now. Put it away in a special place that you can retrieve in 2012 ... if the world doesn’t explode.

---------------------------

Pls don't go the DNF way

When Game Announcements Go Bad: Thief 4

So, Thief 4 (we are not calling it Thi4f) has been announced! You happy? Can't see why. It's not like Eidos actually announced anything.

Let's see. They did announce that a fourth Thief game is coming. That counts for something. And they gave it a "snappy" title (at least Driv3r's "3" looked like an "E"). And...that's it. No information on the game itself. Nothing on its setting, no screenshots, nothing on its protagonists, nothing on a release window, nothing on the game's design, nothing on...well, anything.

They couldn't even offer target platforms, telling IGN:

In other words, Thief 4 probably exists only as some doodles on a napkin, and is so early in its production schedule it won't be shown in any form at E3 this year.

Eidos: this is not how you announce a product.

agreed

peace

• 1 year later...
Thief 4 (or 'Thi4f') looks set for a GDC reveal late next month, after Square Enix announced a talk on the game's audio by staffer Paul Weir.

The session, titled 'Stealing Sound: Generative Music in THIEF', will mark "the first time that the game has been spoken about," reads its GDC blurb.

"Developers should more enthusiastically embrace alternative music models to resolve ongoing issues with linearity and to create a musical aesthetic that pushes away from the shadow of film," it reads.

The session description goes on to commit that the talk will mark "the first public insight into Thief and its generative music engine."

Just like a real burglar, Thi4f broke cover back in May 2009, then it slipped back into the darkness, taking all of your expensive power tools with it.

Eidos Montreal boss, Stephane D'Astous promised in the same year that the fourth game in the series was shaping up nicely.

"Let me reassure you that the team is making leaps and bounds. Personally I have NEVER seen a team, at this milestone (middle of pre-production) in such good shape," he said.

At least there's a three second video of versus out there. There's not even a sound bite here.

:rofl:

Pity. :( , its better they take all the time in the world and deliver rather than throw up a Conviction type scenario.

Sacrilege :bash:

No stealth game can match the atmosphere of Thief 1 and 2. From the Shadows to the footsteps and even the guard voices, everything works together to immerse you in the game. Its fantastic.

Thief 3 was a letdown except that Shalebridge level which also happens to be one of the best f**king horror levels ever designed.

Pity. :( , its better they take all the time in the world and deliver rather than throw up a Conviction type scenario.

Considering how most games under SE have gone recently - FF, TR, Front Mission etc., I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of reboot here, for the better or worse.

Lets just hope they don't try to copy something like AC here.

Are the thief games like Splinter Cell without guns? I've never played a Thief game.

Then again I've never played a Splinter Cell either :ko:

Have you ever been in love??

There are moments in the game which are ridiculous, awesome, ridiculous and awesome and they will take you to heaven. There are moments in the game when you feel that your lover is enticed by another man fantasizing about cradling in another bed while you lie in yours hoping to sleep alone and never wake up, because if you do you will endure the hellish nightmares and beat your chest.

I have completed all 3 games more than a dozen times and every f**king time they take me to a place of complete tranquility. My senses blend with the game, we are together, as one, it gives me joy and heart ache and yet it's beautiful every time.

In summation: Sam Fisher and Solid Snake suck a*s and deserve to be lit alive.

I have completed all 3 games more than a dozen times and every f**king time they take me to a place of complete tranquility. My senses blend with the game, we are together, as one, it gives me joy and heart ache and yet it's beautiful every time.

and this, children, is why doing weed while gaming is encouraged.

Have you ever been in love??

There are moments in the game which are ridiculous, awesome, ridiculous and awesome and they will take you to heaven. There are moments in the game when you feel that your lover is enticed by another man fantasizing about cradling in another bed while you lie in yours hoping to sleep alone and never wake up, because if you do you will endure the hellish nightmares and beat your chest.

In summation: Sam Fisher and Solid Snake suck a*s and deserve to be lit alive.

:hug: for the rest as well.

This is a game which makes waiting in the shadows an exercise! I can go on and on about Thief and why it's so great but I may come across a bit creepy.

• 1 month later...

8vwER.png

sqYCg.jpg

Hold your horses, for the first screenshot of Thief 4 has been found.

The most immediate thing about the snapshot (caught by JeuxVideo) is that the game is presented in third-person, even when a bow is being aimed.

There's also no glaringly obvious 'how dark is it - can I be seen?' icon on the HUD, although the transparent white circle in the middle of the screen could be it.

Eidos is expected to unveil Thief 4 at the Game Developers Conference next week.

A second team at Deus Ex: Human Revolution studio Eidos Montreal will make Thief 4.

Archived