The Laptop/Notebook thread.

khanak

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone on this forum used an external HDD to play / install games like wolfenstein the new order, GTA etc? My laptop has a 256GB SSD and hence, am always short of space. Hence, thought of installing all games from my USB 3.0 HP 5400 RPM external HDD.

Question in want to ask is if anyone has tried it and is there any degradation in terms of performance of games or any negative effect on laptop hardware like cpu etc?

^ There would ideally be no problem with the hardware of the laptop.

You might face issues when it comes to running titles that have a high I/O requirement because of the transfer speed and slower RPM drive.

Edited by ALPHA17

Why don't you invest some more money and get a pc.

You won't have to buy ps4 then.

Buying 4 games would set you back by 15000 anyways

Thanks for the advice though I already bought the laptop as I needed one....already have a pc but my card has gotten old...its a 460..I think next up will be a 970 instead of the ps4

Thanks for the advice though I already bought the laptop as I needed one....already have a pc but my card has gotten old...its a 460..I think next up will be a 970 instead of the ps4

Yea get a GPU upgrade

Sony might announce PS4 Slim this year or next year, im sure it will be 20k or 25k.You can buy then,Also exclusives will become Platinum versions and hence cheaper as the years pass

Is it possible to get a laptop in 20k?

Looking for 15 inch-ish screen,320-500GB HDD Or a 2.5" hdd bay,Ubuntu/Linux or Windows preferably though DOS will do and the ability to play 1080p 60 FPS YT Vids

Mainly will be used as backup computer,I have a "smart" phone and tablet,but they are only good for casual web browsing and content consumption,nothing else,still feel the need of a Computer everytiem

Looking for 15 inch-ish screen,320-500GB HDD Or a 2.5" hdd bay,Ubuntu/Linux or Windows preferably though DOS will do and the ability to play 1080p 60 FPS YT Vids

Mainly will be used as backup computer,I have a "smart" phone and tablet,but they are only good for casual web browsing and content consumption,nothing else,still feel the need of a Computer everytiem

HP 15-g221AU on Flipkart is 20k.APU quad core, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd, DOS.

HP 15-g221AU on Flipkart is 20k.APU quad core, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd, DOS.

^ Check out your options on flipkart, HP and DELL have APU based machines with Windows 8.1 retailing for ~24000/-. If you can overlook AMD's average driver support for its notebook SKU's. They are pretty decent.

Just a word of advice, do not go for anything but an A8 quad-core from AMD, anything below would be anaemic to the point of infuriation.

Hope this helps, Cheers!

Yea get a GPU upgrade

Sony might announce PS4 Slim this year or next year, im sure it will be 20k or 25k.You can buy then,Also exclusives will become Platinum versions and hence cheaper as the years pass

Is this your current state :

bobmarley-_q3ra9xqw.gif

• 5 weeks later...

Guys,

Need a compact laptop that is light and easy to carry even when travelling to some remote places..can import it from USA also if i can find good price.

It is mainly going to use for general information and some entertainment media. Budget is $300 or Rs 20K.

Also would like to know if i can get a good rugged cover also for the laptop....Some of them are freaking expensive...like thousands of $....bc.

The operating system that comes installed in these laptops are mine to keep forever right?? I mean i will get license key isnt it??

Edited by playstation

^ flipkart.

Get the Dual-core APU or quad-core Celeron's. Should be able to handle most things, ideally would suggest that you upgrade the RAM to four GB.

About the license copy of Windows, you can at max keep a rescue disc in-case of failure but you cannot keep the key or any other aspect.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

• Like 1

Thanks Alpha.

Hows this

http://www.amazon.com/EeeBook-X205TA-11-6-inch-Laptop-Office/dp/B00NY29UIO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1434962528&sr=1-1&keywords=Asus+X205TA+EEEbook&pebp=1434962448143&perid=044CKQMF86Q2KCNDG939

The price is USA is literally Rs 5k-7k less in almost all models i am looking at and comparing to Flipkart prices...i think i better import it from there only.

• 6 months later...

Officially on the PC-gaming bandwagon now. Got a decent laptop that can play games. Not Glorious PC Master Race type, but does the job. Mostly want to play games from a few years old which I missed out on during the PS360-gen.

Games I'm looking forward to playing:

- Mass Effect Series. (Never got around finishing the first ME on my PS3)

- The Witcher Series. (Bought The Witcher Enhanced Edition right now for INR 55 from Steam)

- Transistor

- Grim Fandando Remastered

- Ori and the Blind Forest

- Undertale

- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

- Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

- Games by VaLVE

- South Park: The Stick of Truth

- DuckTales Remastered

Any other games you guys can suggest? Also, will I have problems playing these games (or others) on the laptop which has these specs:

Intel Core i5-5200U

8GB RAM

nVidia GEFORCE 920M

P.S.: I am not too fond of high-end graphics. Even if the games play at 30FPS on the laptop's screen resolution (1366x768), I'm fine with that.

Officially on the PC-gaming bandwagon now. Got a decent laptop that can play games. Not Glorious PC Master Race type, but does the job. Mostly want to play games from a few years old which I missed out on during the PS360-gen.

Games I'm looking forward to playing:

- Mass Effect Series. (Never got around finishing the first ME on my PS3)

- The Witcher Series. (Bought The Witcher Enhanced Edition right now for INR 55 from Steam)

- Transistor

- Grim Fandando Remastered

- Ori and the Blind Forest

- Undertale

- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

- Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

- Games by VaLVE

- South Park: The Stick of Truth

- DuckTales Remastered

Any other games you guys can suggest? Also, will I have problems playing these games (or others) on the laptop which has these specs:

Intel Core i5-5200U

8GB RAM

nVidia GEFORCE 920M

P.S.: I am not too fond of high-end graphics. Even if the games play at 30FPS on the laptop's screen resolution (1366x768), I'm fine with that.

Off the list, Mordor might be difficult for your laptop to manage 30 FPS @ 768p. Also, Witcher 2 often dropped below 30 FPS @ 768p/Medium in my laptop (i7 4500U/8850M).

Rest should be alright though.

Edited by quixote_1989
  • Like 1

Intel Core i5-5200U

8GB RAM

nVidia GEFORCE 920M

• Knights of The Old Republic (both of them)
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
  • Homeworld Remastered (although at reduced settings)
  • Company of Heroes (at-least the original)
  • Deus Ex (Original)
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (the complete franchise)

Yeah! These would be my picks, for now.