The Laptop/Notebook thread.

khanak

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How reliable are Lenovo laptops in general ? My friend is flying in from good ol Murica, planning to get a Yoga 720 15" from him. Unfortunately, I checked with Lenovo US and they said that if the model isnt available in the local country, the warranty isnt valid i.e. will have to send it back to the US to get it repaired. The Macbook is a tad bit over my budget and hence thinking of getting the 720. Used a Samsung for the past 6 years, zero issues so far. If anyone has owned or is owning Lenovo, just thought would check if they are reliable ? 

^ I would avoid Lenovo, they have been getting hammered with issues regarding security and intentionally putting bloatware that can be used as a back door by malware. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ALPHA17 said:

^ I would avoid Lenovo, they have been getting hammered with issues regarding security and intentionally putting bloatware that can be used as a back door by malware. 

aside from this their India customer service is known to be terrible and they use cheap parts in their stuff

• Like 1

Yikes, that definitely sounds like a nightmare. No wonder most of the UHD config laptops had negative reviews of screen failures on BestBuy. Hence thought a FHD screen was a safe bet, but anyways, will avoid Lenovo completely.

Next on my list is HP, unfortunately they too have the same policy, model unavailable in the region = No warranty in the region. I used to own an HP laptop a while back and it constantly had motherboard issues hence I was avoiding HP. My friends too have had numerous issues with their respective HP laptops. Guess will have to stick to Dell or Apple to avoid all this warranty hassle. 

16 hours ago, ALPHA17 said:

^ What about the XPS 13? 

I want to go for a 15" laptop. The XPS 15 is around $1800 including international warranty. 

Just to take a vote, between 2016 15.4" Macbook Pro: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1293726-REG/apple_mlh32ll_a_15_4_macbook_pro_with.html

and 2017 HP Spectre x360 with 8th Gen i7 8550 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-spectre-x360-2-in-1-15-6-4k-ultra-hd-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-512gb-solid-state-drive-dark-ash-silver/6082118.p?skuId=6082118#tabbed-customerreviews

Which seems like a better option ? The HP Omen seems like the best bang for the buck, but gaming laptop, so will definitely be quite heavy to lug around. 

Gaming laptops are getting slimmer and lighter0 over time. How much depends on what you want to spend. 

There is the Razer Blade if you are looking for the thinnest or most obnoxious, depends on how you look at it. Assorted cheaper offerings from companies like MSi and GIGABYTE are also there, which offer more palatable solutions

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ALPHA17 said:

Gaming laptops are getting slimmer and lighter0 over time. How much depends on what you want to spend. 

There is the Razer Blade if you are looking for the thinnest or most obnoxious, depends on how you look at it. Assorted cheaper offerings from companies like MSi and GIGABYTE are also there, which offer more palatable solutions

Thanks a lot for the reply Alpha !

Dont need a gaming laptop per say. Just need a laptop which can crunch my visual computations well. Hence was looking at options with dedicated GPUs. Given up on this as I shall be soon upgrading my desktop, so not a factor anymore. 

My budget is around the $1500 mark. Was considering Apple only for the peace of mind. Luckily my Samsung gave me zero issues over its lifespan. Never owned a Mac before and the 15.4 with $500 off seemed like a good deal ($1899) with a Radeon pro 450. But still, its 6th Gen i7 and with the 8th Gens releasing, plonking 1900 Dollars doesnt feel like the right move to me :/ Hence, massively confused. 

PS: Just read that Dell is launching the 8th Gen XPS's. :D

Edited by sid_008

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend a GTX1060 these days but your budget would need to be extended for that. 

Looking at your location it would be better to stick with ASUS or DELL, in that case, MSi has a pickup and drop system for warranty claims but needs to be pushed to pick up your unit. 

2 hours ago, ALPHA17 said:

I would recommend a GTX1060 these days but your budget would need to be extended for that. 

Looking at your location it would be better to stick with ASUS or DELL, in that case, MSi has a pickup and drop system for warranty claims but needs to be pushed to pick up your unit. 

Thanks. Would it be worth it to go for Alienware in Dell by spending a little extra?

Just now, adity said:

Are you absolutely sure about a gaming laptop.
Because, you can have a really good PC with that money. Whereas 1050 is only gonna get you a passable performance.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

I don't mind getting a PC but the problem is of logistics and support. At present place i am located doesn't offer any good options for a gaming PC and going to Delhi or Kolkata and getting a PC is just not working out due to lack of time. Whereas I can buy a gaming laptop online easily

51 minutes ago, yash_495 said:

Thanks. Would it be worth it to go for Alienware in Dell by spending a little extra?

Should work with all brands offering you the GTX1060 at that price point.