The Laptop/Notebook thread.

khanak

Guys need two different laptops for 50k & 35k, pls advise on the same.

• For - 50+ Office Goers with no technological expertise/troubleshooting
  • Usage scenario - For Office work means Excel, Mailing & maybe Net Usage that's all.
  • Requirements - Thin & Light with great performance & battery backup.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend is looking to buy a gaming laptop, he is open to ordering (getting it shipped) from the US as well.

- Budget: ~60-90k INR -or- $1200-1500

- Most games should work reasonably well for atleast the next 2 years

Any suggestions would be really appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by oxalorg

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 12:28 PM, PhantomShade said:

anyone have experience with the Thinkpad laptops?

how is the build quality?

They are the most rugged laptops which I know of. At least the ones which I've used were built very nicely. But that was a few years ago. Not sure about the newer models though. 

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, i need some help regarding "Acer Predator Helios 300", which i purchased from flipkart recently so the return window is still there.

So i was testing the laptop throughly and have some issues here and there. Atleast i think they are issues. Which are listed as most important to least.

1- There is some vibration or current flowing in the laptop body whenever i connect the charger with it. The vibration is constant and almost on all over the laptop. I've noticed it with swiping my fingers left and right. I've connected my old Acer charger with it and the same happens with it too.

2- I'm only getting the battery backup for 3 hours or 3.5 hours with WiFi always on + 100% Brightness which is not what i was expecting. I thought it would give the 5 hours backup easily.

3- There is some freezing in the OS (Win10) which i cant figure out like -

- Mouse pointer freezing for 1-2 seconds when i right click on desktop.

- Opening control panel freeze it for 1-2 seconds too.

I disabled "Add desktop context menu" option in Nvidia control panel and that solved the mouse pointer freezing but only till i restarted the laptop. After restarting it came back and now even after disabling that option it won't go away.

Please help guys, I really appreciate if anyone who uses this laptop personally can test their model for the first two points, cause i know the freezing part is some software issue that we can sort out later.

Please check with charger connected if there are any vibrations, by touching the back of the laptop, above the keyboard and the sides of mousepad.

Regards.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Hey guys, i need some help regarding "Acer Predator Helios 300", which i purchased from flipkart recently so the return window is still there.

So i was testing the laptop throughly and have some issues here and there. Atleast i think they are issues. Which are listed as most important to least.

1- There is some vibration or current flowing in the laptop body whenever i connect the charger with it. The vibration is constant and almost on all over the laptop. I've noticed it with swiping my fingers left and right. I've connected my old Acer charger with it and the same happens with it too.

2- I'm only getting the battery backup for 3 hours or 3.5 hours with WiFi always on + 100% Brightness which is not what i was expecting. I thought it would give the 5 hours backup easily.

I disabled "Add desktop context menu" option in Nvidia control panel and that solved the mouse pointer freezing but only till i restarted the laptop. After restarting it came back and now even after disabling that option it won't go away.

Please help guys, I really appreciate if anyone who uses this laptop personally can test their model for the first two points, cause i know the freezing part is some software issue that we can sort out later.

Please check with charger connected if there are any vibrations, by touching the back of the laptop, above the keyboard and the sides of mousepad.

Regards.

Comparing to what you getting for what you paid these issues are negligible or to be honest you can try to neglect those.. I too have one Helios for some 56,000/- the i7 one.. And I would say if you got for the same price.. try to figure out if there's a way to increase warranty period to 3 yrs.. and keep that beauty.. my piece of advice.. do wait what others have to say..

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Comparing to what you getting for what you paid these issues are negligible or to be honest you can try to neglect those.. I too have one Helios for some 56,000/- the i7 one.. And I would say if you got for the same price.. try to figure out if there's a way to increase warranty period to 3 yrs.. and keep that beauty.. my piece of advice.. do wait what others have to say..

I get what you're trying to say and believe me i don't want to return the laptop too cause i ain't gonna find another one near the performance of Helios.

But what i want to know from the first point atleast that is that normal with laptops or did i get a faulty piece? Talking about some kind of vibration here can you please check it with your model.

Thanks.

I get what you're trying to say and believe me i don't want to return the laptop too cause i ain't gonna find another one near the performance of Helios.

But what i want to know from the first point atleast that is that normal with laptops or did i get a faulty piece? Talking about some kind of vibration here can you please check it with your model.

Thanks.

All I can say is that your and my lappy has the same "issue".. and I am ready to live with it..[emoji4]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any gaming laptop with 8th gen i5 processor? I'm seeing only older 7th gen i5 and i7's. 

Also does anyone have any idea why there is NO gaming laptop with Ryzen chips and RX graphics cards?? Isn't it weird?? I mean if I were to choose between a 7th i5 4C/4T and a Ryzen 5 6C/12T I would definitely go for the latter. As for the video card GTX 1050 is the most affordable one but much weaker than GTX 1060 which costs a bomb. And there is no RX 560/570 cards. Anyway these gaming laptops with 7th gen i7 and GTX 1050Ti/1060 aren't exactly *affordable*

Also I want to support AMD more than Intel/Nvidia. AMD fanboys sure have it tough huh. >_>

On 3/18/2018 at 6:50 PM, Dracula said:

Regards.

1. Seems faulty. Inside cooling fan component. The vibration shouldn't be that strong or prominent. However the current passing thing happens when you don't wear any sandal/shoe ie. no proper earthing/insulation.

2. Thats normal.

3. Something is definitely wrong. I don't use Win 10 so can't tell what exactly it is. Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Asus launched new RoG laptops with 8th Gen Intel processors. 

The RoG G703 comes with an i9 8950HK 4.8GHz processor. >___<

(Note: the product link of the G703 which they give doesn't show the correct cpu model. It shows older i7 7XXX cpu's).

https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming/experience-rog-reborn-with-intel-coffee-lake-h-processors-powering-our-new-line-of-gaming-laptops/

• 3 weeks later...

^ Avoid Lenovo, simply been hearing too much about them having a bunch of security loopholes /backdoors on their end. 

Next, ask the cousin if he can get used to working with a MacBook Air. Sleek, sufficiently powerful and light enough to go into any bag and perform throughout the day without running dry. 

If he is adamant about Windows, why not look at the 13" DELL XPS or HP Envy /Spectre range of products. 

40 minutes ago, adity said:

All the laptops you mentioned are way too expensive. The laptop will be used extensively only for the 1 year MBA after which it'll probably gather dust at home. Hence, do not want to spend a lot of money on it. 

Why would it be lying at home? 

Also here is HP's Envy x360 for under ~50,000, heck, under ~40,000 options are available too.  

Here is a DELL Inspiron for just over ~30,000

Edited by ALPHA17

33 minutes ago, adity said:

Lying at home because he'd get a laptop from office once he starts working. 

I did look into dell. This one looked pretty good. 

https://www.tatacliq.com/dell-inspiron-3567-i7-7th-gen-8gb-1tb-15-6-win10-2gb-grey/p-mp000000002273712

So, someone else can use it. Also, office laptops are super restrictive so I do not see the device lying idle anyway. 

That notebook might be good but that pricing is horrendous. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, can someone recommend,which one would be better out of these two? (Someone who has used them?) Helios has twice the HDD and SSD, but I never see it available, always out of stock.

All other specs are almost same.

Or any other models with similar specs and price?

https://www.flipkart.com/acer-predator-helios-300-core-i7-7th-gen-16-gb-2-tb-hdd-256-gb-ssd-windows-10-home-6-graphics-g3-572-gaming-laptop/p/itmf3s3fszsevufj?pid=COMEZ3FRUEGPDUBG

https://www.flipkart.com/msi-gv-series-core-i7-7th-gen-16-gb-1-tb-hdd-128-gb-ssd-windows-10-home-6-graphics-gv62vr-7rf-1067in-gaming-laptop/p/itmf3s3fhg9mz7yc?pid=COMEZYRYQHPH5VVX

Thanks.

On 5/14/2018 at 12:28 PM, WhoCantBeNamed said:

Hello, can someone recommend,which one would be better out of these two? (Someone who has used them?) Helios has twice the HDD and SSD, but I never see it available, always out of stock.

All other specs are almost same.

Or any other models with similar specs and price?

https://www.flipkart.com/acer-predator-helios-300-core-i7-7th-gen-16-gb-2-tb-hdd-256-gb-ssd-windows-10-home-6-graphics-g3-572-gaming-laptop/p/itmf3s3fszsevufj?pid=COMEZ3FRUEGPDUBG

https://www.flipkart.com/msi-gv-series-core-i7-7th-gen-16-gb-1-tb-hdd-128-gb-ssd-windows-10-home-6-graphics-gv62vr-7rf-1067in-gaming-laptop/p/itmf3s3fhg9mz7yc?pid=COMEZYRYQHPH5VVX

Thanks.

Anyone? With the last day of the deal tomorrow, I think they'll go back to their regular price.

Thanks.

On 14/05/2018 at 12:28 PM, WhoCantBeNamed said:

~snip~

The SKUs must have been phased out. 

You can look at Lenovo's Legion Y520 series or HP's OMEN line of notebooks. 

Do you have to purchase a notebook immediately or can you wait for a couple of weeks?