The Laptop/Notebook thread.

khanak

Ultra Bay feature is Great!

No this is just for hot swapping of hard-drives if I am not mistaken.

And a bit of gaming if possible. Brother is in US, He's getting Alienware 14 for $1200 after student discount.

Try to get the Lenovo Y50 in that case. Less hype, more performance.

• 4 weeks later...

Experts, i need suggestions for buying a new laptop. Purpose would be everyday home use...like movies, photoshop, internet etc.

My preference for the features would be as follows :

1) Reliability - i can't stress this point enough. i don't want to get the laptop repaired time and again. it's a headache.

Especially the battery..it must have a long life. Also must provide sufficient power backup.

2) Durability

3) Memory - Atleast 2 TB

Budget - 40,000 INR

Now, if by any chance, gaming is any fun on a laptop (have all the consoles and a PC), then would be an added advantage if i can run the new spec games on it. In this case, i'm ready to extend my budget to 60,000 INR. With festive season coming, I hope i can get one within my budget after discount.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

^ You will not be able to run recent titles on decent settings on a laptop under ~85,000/- INR, that too depends on the configuration of the machine.

For your needs, I would suggest the following models @flipkart. Compare prices w.r.t. to other e-retailers or check local and make a pick. You would not get 2TB internal storage in laptops, at-least in India.

^Thanks. But if I can't use it for current gen gaming, I would like to restrict myself to 40k. Which brand would you recommend in general...especially considering the reliability and after sales support?

And which laptops would you recommend if I decide to run the current games?(upto 90K INR)

^ Lenovo, DELL, HP and SAMSUNG for reliable after sales, under ~40000/-, you will have to compromise on either the gaming front or on better performance in something like say Photoshop.

For gaming and if you are willing to part monies, starts from the Lenovo Y510 / Y50 and look at MSi's latest offerings although I cannot comment about the latter when it comes to after sales. @flipkart

Hello again, i went through the reviews of the lenovo Y50 and Y510, and all reviews suggest it has a bad screen. The colours are extremely dull.

Is that true?Any idea which screen is available in India?

Plus Y510 has been discontinued, and available only online...and there isn't much of a price difference between Y50 and Y510. Which one actually is a better pick among the 2?

and how do Dell and Samsung top models compare w.r.t performance?

Cheers.

Hello again, i went through the reviews of the lenovo Y50 and Y510, and all reviews suggest it has a bad screen. The colours are extremely dull.

Is that true?Any idea which screen is available in India?

I think PHRiCK has the same model (older variant) you can ask for his views on the same.

Plus Y510 has been discontinued, and available only online...and there isn't much of a price difference between Y50 and Y510. Which one actually is a better pick among the 2?

Go for the Y50. If it is not compromising your budget by too much.

and how do Dell and Samsung top models compare w.r.t performance?

I do not think any DELL or SAMSUNG models (at the price point) offer a considerable advantage (in price or configuration) over the Lenovo Y series laptops.

The battery of my Dell Studio 14 is not charging more than 48%. Does that means it's gone for a toss?

How much does it cost from the official sources?

If it is not charging more than ~48%, yes, your battery is damaged. Either that or the charger is faulty. You can confirm by running the laptop of the mains.

I really do not have an idea of where to get laptop replacement parts from, online.

Edited by ALPHA17

The battery of my Dell Studio 14 is not charging more than 48%. Does that means it's gone for a toss?

If that's the case which reliable online site can I buy a new battery from?

Sent from my Nexus 4

Just for the heck of it, have you checked the Dell power saving options ? I mean all those Desktop Mode, Longevity Mode stuff under Battery Meter.

If they are enabled, you might wanna try disabling them & check how it goes after restarting. Unless you have tried all that already, might be worth a shot.

Edited by soumyadipta9

^ Check these models @flipkart.

Performance will not be great but acceptable. Try to get a quad-core from AMD or Intel at the very least.

Fine bro. Thank you. And What would be the approx budget needed & what ll be the preferred configuration to get the better performance for high end multi tasking like photoshop, pinnacle studio, firefox, ms word all open at the same time?

Fine bro. Thank you. And What would be the approx budget needed & what ll be the preferred configuration to get the better performance for high end multi tasking like photoshop, pinnacle studio, firefox, ms word all open at the same time?

I would suggest ~40000/-; to get a copy of Windows8.1 and a laptop with Intel Core i5 Haswell chips based system.

• Like 1