The Android Thread

pArth

^@Jigsaw, Yeah, and Outsider, you cant do much besides what me and Tyler suggested. Thats a bug in ICS that google is working on.

I say download CPU Spy and post the screenshots here. The main problem is that CPU is not going into Deep Sleep mode even when its off (standby).

I faced this issue on my S2 when battery drained 24% in one night, and wifi, sync, Edge etc was off. The culprit was Latitude in which I signed in before sleeping.

It triggered the maps continuosly (even when internet was off) and prevented the CPU from going in deep sleep mode.

Edited by Super Zombie

I have the maps issue as well. How do I shut it off completely?

It keeps triggering even when data mode is off. Same with the Yahoo mail application. I wasn't able to find any option in the settings menu of the respective softwares.

EDIT: Force Stopping these from the applications menu works, but do I have to do that everytime?

Edited by devil_angel

EDIT: Force Stopping these from the applications menu works, but do I have to do that everytime?

Yes. Everytime. You can see them running in Settings> Application.

I removed them from my phone itself. Though i kept a .apk just for emergencies. ;)

Android OS: 47%

Screen: 31%,

How do I take a screenshot of the bar graph?

Hold Volume down and Power till the animation kicks in. It doesn't happen instantly, you gotta hold it.

Also, percentage is no good, the values inside are what's important.

^@Jigsaw, Yeah, and Outsider, you cant do much besides what me and Tyler suggested. Thats a bug in ICS that google is working on.

I haven't faced any such problem, neither has one of my friends.. it seems like it's intermittent, and hard to reproduce. I'm not saying it's not there, but it doesn't affect everyone.

My standby time has been excellent, I get around 3 and half to 4 hours of screen on time before it dies. Varies between 12-20 hours, depending on usage

Screenshots.

mKfaV.png

x6Z1G.png

hBzjp.png

Completely rapes the Sensation and the Nexus S I have when it comes to consuming the least amount of battery in standby.

If you can provide the above three screenshots, it'll let us know what's happening.

It was plugged in to my laptop for transferring data, that's the charging part. Might be around 65-68 without the charge.

Edited by Superfrag

It keeps triggering even when data mode is off. Same with the Yahoo mail application. I wasn't able to find any option in the settings menu of the respective softwares.

If your device is rooted, freeze/remove those apps using Titanium backup or similar software. Remove Yahoo mail and Getjar (if you have it), these are battery hogs.

For maps, sign out of Latitude, that should reduce the frequency.

What I did was downloaded Advanced task manager, and enabled auto kill and regular kill in it. I set the frequency of Regular Kill to half an hour (dont reduce the time, else it becomes a battery hog :D ), and selected all these applications who start a lot. If I have to use one of them and dont want them to be closed, I uncheck the checkbox in the Advanced TM for the time I use it.

My battery life is very good now, with 2-3 hrs of browsing over wifi daily, 1-2 hrs of music, few hrs of calls it lasts two days easily. Still nowhere close to my N82, which lasted like 4-5 days with much more usage.

If your device is rooted, freeze/remove those apps using Titanium backup or similar software. Remove Yahoo mail and Getjar (if you have it), these are battery hogs.

For maps, sign out of Latitude, that should reduce the frequency.

What I did was downloaded Advanced task manager, and enabled auto kill and regular kill in it. I set the frequency of Regular Kill to half an hour (dont reduce the time, else it becomes a battery hog :D ), and selected all these applications who start a lot. If I have to use one of them and dont want them to be closed, I uncheck the checkbox in the Advanced TM for the time I use it.

My battery life is very good now, with 2-3 hrs of browsing over wifi daily, 1-2 hrs of music, few hrs of calls it lasts two days easily. Still nowhere close to my N82, which lasted like 4-5 days with much more usage.

Thanks for the suggestions mate, will try out advanced TM and see how it goes. :)

» ADW EX Launcher

Icon Size: 140

» Icons

s2w Dark3rRizeIcons (colorize edition) - Changed normal app icons

» Screen 1

Clock: mClock Widget - Using the DotClock xml available on XDA

» Screen 2

Music: DoubleTwist

» Screen 3

Elixir 2 App and Widget app

Tune-in Radio

Edit: All apps are available free in the market.

<You have been Tapatalked from my GT-I9100>

hey hi..

i have downloaded the above s2w Dark3rRizeIcons Icon set...

how do i apply those Icons now..

can u pls elaborate ?

hey hi..

i have downloaded the above s2w Dark3rRizeIcons Icon set...

how do i apply those Icons now..

can u pls elaborate ?

Long-press an app on the homescreen. Edit it and change the icon. Simple.

BTW, you can do the same on any of the other good launchers.

Other than Qik, can you please suggest a Video Chat option for my SGS-II. And for some reasons I cannot do gtalk video from phone :(

^^ yes, gtalk doesn't give video option on phone. Did you try skype ?

Yes.. But apart from Qik & Skype, are there more options?

Does viber have video calling?

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk

Try out this Gtalk Apk...It has Video Calling working on my Galaxy S Captivate...It's ripped off of a Custom ROM..You need to use a File explorer which has root RW abilities ( I use Root Explorer normal ones such as myFiles,Astro etc won't work)..simply installing this apk won't work.(i.e you cannot just click on it and install it like normal APKs)

1)You have to copy it and paste into : System>Apps> (paste here)

2) Restart phone.

Download Gtalk APK here

Edited by -= L O L =-

GetJar offering 100 paid apps for free as part of Christmas promotion

By now you may have heard of GetJar Gold, the alternative app store’s answer to the “Free App of the Day”. For the holidays there are more than 100 new apps available for free, all of them normally paid, and many were also featured as part of Google’s 10 Billion Apps promotion.

Of course, you’ll have to deal with the normal pitfalls of third-party app stores. The free “purchases” you make on GetJar will not show up in the Android Market. Instead, you’ll need to install GetJar’s primary application from their website, then browse either the on-device app store, the mobile website or the holiday catalog. Thankfully, you do not need to set up a new account to start using the free apps, but that means that your “purchases” won’t be saved, either – if you uninstall one of the paid apps, you’ll have to pay for it once the price returns to its normal value.

Source : http://androidcommunity.com/getjars-gold-apps-catalog-shows-you-freebies-in-a-phone-friendly-interface-20111221/

Worth checking out, though am still surprised over the lack of any account registration at Getjar. I bought an app using the AndroidPit app and that shows up in that account (not in Market though).

So effectively, one should install GetJar and download all 100 apps and then take a backup of the APKs.