Movie Discussion Thread

HundredProofSam

Also most of these superheros were unknown to non comic book readers. The way they managed to establish these characters is seriously an achievement.A decade back no one ever thought that a Guardians of the Galaxy or AntMan movie was possible.

Even Iron man wasn't that popular outside of comics. But then Marvel released iron man and it was a hit, because the presentation was really awesome. Edited by Playstationdude

Exactly.They have put tremendous amount of effort in establishing the cinematic universe. The casting is also perfect, which is one of the major reasons of their success.Marvel took risks and it paid off in the end!

DCEU on the other hand, had two very weak movies last year. But if they plan properly and don't rush the movies, their Phase 2 after JL can be better.

Edited by Star Lord

And on a sidenote, i think that a lot of the fuss over Bhallaladev's wife is unwarranted. Using similar logic, I can just as well ask why Egos

decided to return to Earth and plant a tumour in Meridith's head?

Ego clearly mentions that

he actually loved Meredith and would always want to be with her as long as she was alive, thus deviating from his life's true purpose. So he killed her.

Okay, did I watch some other movie? I don't know, because I didn't like GOTG 2 too much, which is weird because I loved the first part and can still watch it and enjoy, and after reading the reactions here I fully expected to like the second part too. Eh.

We went IMAX for this one, and the 3D was absolutely incredible and the VFX was trippy, and some sequences, specially with Yondu were amazing, but overall I was kinda.. bored. Yup. The fun bits were spaced and few and far, the story itself wasn't up to snuff and was cliché AF. The whole bit about his dad and what he was and everything seemed dimwitted and honestly, I didn't really buy it.

It wasn't funny enough, wasn't fun enough, and overall I just couldn't wrap my head around a few things.

Then there was that whole bit of them going MOS around the end which was uninspired. Why does every "celestial" just has to, has to go batshit bonkers, every single time in every story ever told? And, if this guy was gee oh dee, wouldn't that make him a superior being to Thanos?

Lastly, there was also just too much melodrama which just killed it for me. The first one is way, way better. :( Edit: The music too wasn't up to the first one's levels. Not even close.

PS: In IMAX sometimes the subjects were so small compared to the rest of the screen, it felt like we were in a toy world.

LOL finally! Didn't write anything here earlier coz everyone seemed to be head over heels for it and I didn't want to be the sole party-pooper for the umpteenth time :P

I liked the parts with Drax and Rocket and thought they were funny and entertaining. But every time the movie switched to the main storyline involving Star Lord, Ego and even Gamora, it would take a nosedive. I didn't really care about their "emotional" moments either and thought they all fell flat.

And then the third act happened which was boring as f**k. So many superhero movies these days seem to have this problem where they devolve into nothing more than just white noise towards the end.

They went overboard with the soundtrack in this one too. So much so that it actually started feeling monotonous.

And to think I actually thought the movie was going to pleasantly surprise me after watching the great intro credits scene. But nope!

Edited by STICK3Rboy

Ego clearly mentions that

he actually loved Meredith and would always want to be with her as long as she was alive, thus deviating from his life's true purpose. So he killed her.

But when is Bhallaladev's wife mentioned anywhere in either movie? Where's the sense in complaining about her absence?

Edited by pixeljunkie

They went overboard with the soundtrack in this one too. So much so that it actually started feeling monotonous.

Every song has a reason to be there.It's not like they made up some random mixtape.Most songs have some kind of symbolism to the movie. :)

The Chain by Fletwood Mac plays once towards the beginning when the guardians go their separate ways with Ego. The lyrics in particular reference "never break the chain", which I took for the Guardians breaking up momentarily due to tension between Rocket and Peter.

During the climax, the song comes back, switching to the upbeat chorus "Chain keep us together", perfectly symbolizing the reformed guardians before they kick some a*s.

Lake Shore Drive plays after they try to escape from The Sovereign.The lyrics clearly match with that scene. "There's a road I'd like to tell you about, lives in my home town

Lake Shore Drive the road is called and it'll take you up or down"

With the climax scene, it specifically plays The Chain when Ego and Peter begin their fight, and the lyrics that play are "If you dont love me now, then you'll never love me again".

It referred to Peter and Ego kind of accepting that their relationship is truly beyond repair for either, because Peter wants to kill Ego to prevent him from destroying the galaxy and avenge his mother.

The song 'Father and Son' plays after Yondu and Ego's death when Peter is seen taking care of Baby Groot.The song frames an exchange between a father not understanding a son's desire to break away and shape a new life, and the son who cannot really explain himself but knows that it is time for him to seek his own destiny.

I know it's hard to notice all these stuff while watching the movie for the very first time.

There's also a reference to Alfred Hitchcock's classic Crop Duster action sequence from North by Northwest.

Edited by Star Lord
  • Like 1

James Gunn had around 500 songs ready, and he added the songs during screenplay. There is a pretty good interview where he mentions this. That guy knows his stuff. Vol 3 will be epic.

• Like 1

Tickets booked for Alien: Covenant! Might rewatch Prometheus tonight, the movie has so many problems but it's so damn good looking.

As for GOTGv2, loved it! Didn't feel as fresh as the first one but I'm glad they didn't go unnecessarily "big" with this one. Yondu was the best part of the movie. Some really great lines...

I'm Mary Poppins ya'll!

Also as a Marvel nerd loved all the cameos!

The original Guardians of the Galaxy

Stan Lee and The Watchers

Adam Warlock

• Like 1

Actually many people believe that Stan Lee is one of them in MCU and it makes sense too. If they have planned this all along since Iron Man 1 then holy sh*t that's an awesome way to respect the man.

He is IMO.

I never thought they would introduce The Original GoTG in the movies.According to rumors, they'll play a huge role in Vol 3.Also,Sylvester Stallone as Star Hawk in the MCU :panic: It remains to be seen whom they cast as Adam Warlock.

Edited by Star Lord

Watched GoTG 2 last week. It was everything i expected from Marvel! :thumbsup:

But James Gunn simply couldn't recreate the magic of the first movie. And to be completely fair, i don't blame him because he's going up against this...

:rofl:

This is arguably the most original climax of this century! A genuinely special moment in film-making history! It set the bar so high that Marvel Studios should never have considered including it in the first movie!

This scene subconsciously emblazoned the upbeat tone in the minds of the audience who watched the first movie. Betcha they're regretting having brought on Joss Whedon as a creative consultant while filming GoTG vol. 1.

Nobody in their right mind can expect

You shouldn't have killed my mom and squished my walkman

to match up to a dance-off challenge!

Overall the movie was a lot of fun even though the consistently upbeat tone form the first movie was missing. The humour was right on cue. I genuinely enjoyed Rocket fending off the Ravagers with Southern Lights (by Glen Campbell) playing in the background.

I have but a few gripes. Firstly, what were they thinking pairing the scene where

Yondu butchers the mutineers

with Come A Little Bit Closer (by Jay and the Americans)?!? And that cringe-worthy moment where Rocket thinks he's being funny when he tells Peter

"Hope Daddy isn't as much of a d**k as you are orphan-boy"

but really comes across as a f***ing sore loser!

EDIT: Father and Son (by Cat Stevens) during

Yondu's funeral

brought up a lot of good ol'memories! :)

Edited by pixeljunkie