Movie Discussion Thread

HundredProofSam

43 minutes ago, VelivolusDas said:

Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood winning quite a few of these Oscars. Is it that good?

It's one of Tarantino's weaker films IMHO. But it's still okay. Just kick back, relax, don't expect much from it and you should be good.

It does create an excellent sense of time and place though, which is why it got the production design Oscar.

Also, while I loved Pitt's performance in the movie, the supporting actor Oscar really should've gone to Pesci, who was absolutely masterful in The Irishman.

43 minutes ago, VelivolusDas said:

Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood winning quite a few of these Oscars. Is it that good?

It's one of Tarantino's weaker films IMHO. But it's still okay. Just kick back, relax, don't expect much from it and you should be good.

It does create an excellent sense of time and place though, which is why it got the production design Oscar.

Also, while I loved Pitt's performance in the movie, the supporting actor Oscar really should've gone to Pesci, who was absolutely masterful in The Irishman.

2 hours ago, VelivolusDas said:

BTW, it's up on Amazon Prime Video. Will mostly watch it this week.

Your experience will be way better if you read about the murders which happened irl. Don't read anything about how the movie treats those murders though.

• Best Picture - Parasite
  • Best Actor in a Leading Role - Joaquin Pheonix - "Joker"
  • Best Actress in a Leading Role - Renee Zellweger - "Judy"
  • Best Supporting Actor - Brad Pitt - "Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood"
  • Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Laura Dern - "Marriage Story"
  • Best Animated Feature - Toy Story 4
  • Best Cinematography - 1917, Roger Deakins
  • Best Directing - Bong Joon Ho - "Parasite"
  • Best Original Score - Joker, Hildur Guðnadóttir
  • Best Original Song - "I'm Gonna Love Me Again" - Rocketman
  • Best Documentary Feature - American Factory
  • Best Foreign Language Film - Parasite, South Korea
  • Best Original Screenplay - Parasite, Bong Joon Ho, Han Jin Wan
  • Best Adapted Screenplay - Jojo Rabbit
  • Best Achievement in Film Editing - Andrew Buckland, Michael McCusker - "Ford v Ferrari"
  • Best Achievement in Production Design - Barbara Ling, Nancy Haigh - "Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood"
  • Best Achievement in Costume Design - Jacqueline Durran - "Little Women"
  • Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling -Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan, Vivian Baker - "Bombshell"
  • Best Achievement in Sound Mixing - Mark Taylor, Stuart Wilson - "1917"
  • Best Achievement in Sound Editing - Donald Sylvester - "Ford v Ferrari"
  • Best Achievement in Visual Effects - Guillaume Rocheron, Greg Butler, Dominic Tuohy - "1917" 

Parasite - 4

1917 - 3

Ford v Ferrari - 2

Joker - 2

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood - 2

_____

Once upon a time in hollywood is exactly what some crtitics described - tarantino's love letter to hollywood.  If you watch it expecting a plot or something, one might get disappointed.  I went in with an open mind, and damn, each scene oozes style and substance - whether that fight scene with bruce and cliff or the scene where leo gets back his acting chops , the short but hilarious snippets of his italian sphagetti's , and finally the finale to just bring everything into one gigantic explosion.  I mean, I can't believe anyone else could've pulled this off except for tarantino.  It requires a real genius to keep the leading lady completely disconnected from the main plot until the last 10 mins !

Might watch it sometime later or even buy a bluray .... felt its that good !

Edited by Ne0

So Uncut Gems was really good.

I have to admit that I'm not the biggest Adam Sandler fan. I usually find him annoying and that didn't seem to change at the beginning of this movie. It was almost insufferable with an abysmal soundtrack playing loudly over people shouting over each other. 

But I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. The movie gets a whole lot better as it goes along.

Adam Sandler was good too. His character isn't exactly likeable but the film weirdly made me root for him somehow.

So yeah, do give the movie a watch. It's on Netflix.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:32 PM, Aftrunner said:

I am glad Parasite won most of the awards, it does deserve them all but I feel like there was a fair bit of bias against The Irishman. I really thought Pesci would have best supporting actor locked.

Wouldn't be surprised if there is significant bias against The Irishman. There is a dispute going on between Netflix and the various theater owners/groups. And I doubt the Academy would ever do anything to p*ss off theater associations who are both major financers and revenue generators in the film industry. 

That said Parasyte is still an amazing film and still deserves all the awards it got. 

Re-watched Contagion after a long time, coz ... well it's the season of the virus :/

Arguably the most accurate film when it comes to a new virus outbreak and how the modern world deals with it.

Also shows how fragile our existence is, a novel virus, couple of quick mutations and half of us are gone.

Ensemble cast and very well made.