The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

@AtheK - thanks.

28 minutes ago, AtheK said:

I have a 55" tv  they say get 65" to get the real difference, stupidity. I watch it from a distance of around 12 feet.

I was told the same. Given my living room isn't big enough for 65", I'm planning to get around ~49-55". 

I have not calculated, but I guess one episode of breaking bad in 4K, took around 2-2.5 gb of bandwidth. 

Surprisingly low. 

Ultimately should you buy one, I guess you keep a tv for min 5 years, so make sense to buy the one with latest tech today as content will only increase, and probably next gen consoles will be true 4k machines. 

This is what I told as well. It makes no sense to invest in 1080p now, but everyone around was like, there is not much to enjoy at 4K and won't notice much difference at anything less than 65". I don't believe in latter as I'm pretty sure the colours and quality will be still stunning and better than a 1080p display even at 50". 

Even on PC, I notice quite a difference while playing at 1080p and 4K. The colours are fantastic, but again the distance is just about a foot.

39 minutes ago, AtheK said:

Also around hdr and non hdr, hdr looks better, but then it mainly looks better if you see it next to non hdr content, since you will have only one TV it won't matter in long run. All these are to sell u a TV. 

Good point. I'm going to check on the set today-tomorrow and decide. Given no interest in smart stuff and the console will cover that and 3rd party, I'm inclined on checking the new SONY set. 

Will update. Thanks, again.

[mention=584]AtheK[/mention] - thanks.

Good point. I'm going to check on the set today-tomorrow and decide. Given no interest in smart stuff and the console will cover that and 3rd party, I'm inclined on checking the new SONY set. 

Will update. Thanks, again.

The stunning part Is mainly around the content they show you on showrooms, in real life I won't call it stunning but a marginal update.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Been using 65" Sony for a year now.

1. What content do you frequently watch? Tata Sky, PS4 Pro, Plex. 

2. Do you stream? Yes, Netflix, Prime, Hotstar etc. 

3. How much bandwidth do you use? 4k  - 5 GB/hr. 1080p - 2 to 3 GB per hour. 

4. Watching SD/HD content on 4K, do you notice a big difference? Scales well? Marginal but effective. 

5. At what distance you actually notice the difference? Usually watch from 10ft. 

6. Moving from 1080p to 4K was worth it? Definitely, and HDR is a game changer. 

7. Is it mainly for PlayStation 4 Pro? Cricket, streaming, PS4 Pro in equal parts. 

8. Given the smart features aren't smart, do you use anything else to have seamless experience? No. Google Cast is a must where you can throw any app on your phone on the TV, but I guess one can get that through a dongle. 

27 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Been using 65" Sony for a year now.

1. What content do you frequently watch? Tata Sky, PS4 Pro, Plex. 

2. Do you stream? Yes, Netflix, Prime, Hotstar etc. 

3. How much bandwidth do you use? 4k  - 5 GB/hr. 1080p - 2 to 3 GB per hour. 

4. Watching SD/HD content on 4K, do you notice a big difference? Scales well? Marginal but effective. 

5. At what distance you actually notice the difference? Usually watch from 10ft. 

6. Moving from 1080p to 4K was worth it? Definitely, and HDR is a game changer. 

7. Is it mainly for PlayStation 4 Pro? Cricket, streaming, PS4 Pro in equal parts. 

8. Given the smart features aren't smart, do you use anything else to have seamless experience? No. Google Cast is a must where you can throw any app on your phone on the TV, but I guess one can get that through a dongle. 

With my lg tv I just connect my s7 edge without chromecast. 

As for talking about hdr being game changer, maybe on a 65" tv it is, on a 54" TV I find the difference not like a game changer one. 

PS I was using non hdr 4k TV for a year and now started 2atxhing a hdr 4k TV from 2 months back. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went for SONY itself. After using and trying all sort of content, it just had a slight edge over the rest. 5n183be.png Second, as a long time SONY user, I couldn't really give another TV set a try. They just work very well and last long, at least for me. 

Anyways, thanks, everyone. Really helped and cleared so many doubts I had. GHjqkOk.png 

So far I love it. Here is my early quick take on 4K Smart TVs:

• Bigger the better. Yes. From moving to 21" to 27" was good (PC). But moving from 32" to 50" is amazing. The experience you get is totally different. Gotta say I enjoyed playing on the big screen than playing in front of PC. So if you are planning to get a television set, then go the biggest you can fit in your room.
  • Smart TVs are NOT SO SMART! I got the Android TV set X800D (as X70E doesn't have Triluminos, which is quite good to ignore at ~$700+) and honestly, meh. I mean, it's nice but really not useful as I thought it would be. I used mostly Youtube (the Chromecast built-in is cool), but rest of the apps, I just don't see much use. Netflix, Prime, Youtube and Plex. Didn't even use the latter much as I was able to connect to the home server and it was fine. 
  • Android UI is indeed little slow and unfortunately, I did face few "app has stopped working" error. 
  • 4K content looks absolutely stunning. You can notice the difference compared to 1080p. The colours pop. I didn't have much to test at the moment, but tried a soccer match and wow, completely blown away. It maybe because of screen difference but again, it looks really good. So much detail.  
  • 1080p never looked this good. Hooked up STAR WARS and Doctor Who. The picture quality was miles better than what it used to be. Scales very well without losing any detail. 
  • As for gaming, tested some using steam link and honestly, it was a better experience. Waiting to pick up the console and test. 
  • Just hooked up PS4. It's downloading games. Will update when done. 

Q7ldsNG.jpg

FqvDPdw.jpg

Happy so far. vPnQGW4.png 

• Like 3

Nice. Congratulations. Check rtings.com to calibrate the display settings for gaming to reduce the lag. Mostly just switching to game mode should be good.

I personally find game mode to be dull.. i never enjoy playing in game mode..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

My 42" Plasma has started giving me trouble in the form of bars on the screen. I doubt there are people that will repair it in this day and age (plasma is supposed to be dead)
So, I have started to be on the lookout for a replacement TV

This is my requirement:

1. Preferably 50" or 55"
2. HD. Dont want to invest in 4K now becuase:
    i) I do not have 4K content in the form of next gen console games
   ii) DTH providers have little to no 4K content now and given the rate at which HD channels came out, I dont see 4K coming out for another 3-4 years at least
3. TV currently being used for:
    i) Boo hoo soap operas
   ii) Major sporting events (Tennis, Badminton)
    iii ) Some movies
4. Wary of Samsung. My first series 5 died in 2 years and about 10 people I know met with similar fates. 
5. Budget, max 70~75k. 

I did do some online searching and VU is one brand that seems to meet my requirements. 
Has anyone here used VU TVs? If so, how has been the experience? 

All suggestions heartily welcomed. 

Edited by lithuvien

No point in investing in 1080p anymore. Even if you don't have 4K content, it is better to future proof unless you plan to buy another set in couple more years. Even a mid-range 4K sets will be a better choice. SONY has launched new 4K sets at affordable prices; worth looking.

Second, the optimal viewing distance should be between 6-7 feet for 50-55" 1080p display. So I guess plan accordingly. 

I'd suggest SONY, but again have only used SONY and never had issues. I did look at the demo of LG and it actually looked great. The interface is something I wish SONY updated. It is very old while LG's interface is much better and faster.

VU sets, no idea but no point in investing $1000+ on these. Buy cheap, buy twice. 

• Like 1

Guys is sony x90e good for pc gaming?? And also ps4 pro. Iam going to ditch monitor f**king 28percent gst  too expensive .hdr monitor are going to be at oled prices. Also will 49 inches be enough for 4k content Iam going to use in bedroom which has 7-10 feet distance don't want too big.

• 3 weeks later...

Samsung has released a free Steam Link app for their 2016 and 2017 Smart TVs!
You can find it by searching for Steam in the Smart Hub app store.

Please make sure that your TV firmware is updated to the latest version for the best experience.

• Supported Controllers:
  • Steam Controller
  • Xbox 360 wired and wireless
  • Xbox One wired
  • Logitech F510/F710

• 3 weeks later...

So my almost-4 year-old Samsung 46" FHD 3D LED has this issue where there are prominent vertical lines visible on the right-hand side, covering 1/3rd of the screen, running all the way from top-to-bottom. It's mostly fine during darker scenes, but anything bright, especially green, and the lines would be an eyesore.

A local TV repair guy checked it and said that it's better to get a new TV instead of changing the panel.

So, ordered the 43" Sony Bravia X7002E today via Amazon. The price of the TV is ₹70k. However, I put my old TV up for exchange and got ₹13.5k reduced from the price. Basically, getting the TV for ₹56.5k.

Ideally, I wanted to get an LG (this is the one I was considering: LG 49UJ752T) which had HDR10 and Dolby Vision both, but at a local store, it was a little out of my budget at around ₹97k (for a bigger size, though).

Will post here once I use the new TV for a bit. Excited for HDR, though. Anyone know how good is it on the Standard PS4?

Thats a pretty good price for a 4K HDR TV from Sony. Did you check Rtings for equivalent US/UK model if it has 10bit wide color gamut? If not HDR won't be as good but still it will be enough to make the games look great. HDR quality is same as PS4 Pro on base PS4. Just that you won't have 4K benefit like in HZD etc titles.

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread