The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

3 hours ago, AtheK said:

And also comparing a 40K TV with 1+ lac tvs. I say it is a perfect secondary TV, for some probably even primary. 

Yeah I thought that was stupid. 

Its like comparing a Nvidia 1050 to a 1080Ti. 

Most of the big brand HDR tv's dont achieve 1000nits. Even my Lg 43uj752t doesnt reach that. Still Hdr is quite good with proper calibration. If the panel and display engine is strong to produce good quality image. Its better than all of the Vu and other chinese oem. What this will do is eat into big brands sale and ultimately lower prices. Issue is flash sales people buy it and sale it for higher prices elsewhere.

24 minutes ago, HEMAN said:

Most of the big brand HDR tv's dont achieve 1000nits. Even my Lg 43uj752t doesnt reach that. Still Hdr is quite good with proper calibration. If the panel and display engine is strong to produce good quality image. Its better than all of the Vu and other chinese oem. What this will do is eat into big brands sale and ultimately lower prices. Issue is flash sales people buy it and sale it for higher prices elsewhere.

its a samsung panel, i am sure with proper calibration, a very very decent output can be achieved.

1 hour ago, HEMAN said:

bad even for single player and if you are playing a racing game its even worse.

My Sony x900e does 4k + 8bit HDR at around 30-35ms and to be honest I have never faced the issue of lag in any single player game even if it is racing. 

Didn't even experience once in forza 7.

Have played a fair bit of multi player too, unless you are going for being the quickest of the quick or hard core competitive, it doesn't disappoint.

Now I can't compare the tv's at such different price points but if Mi really pulls off 8ms then I think it's pretty great, given hardly any tv goes below 10, unless you go OLED.

Source for lag and pretty much everything: Rtings.com

Edited by kunjanp

1 hour ago, Playstationdude said:

The issue I see is that most of the 4k TVs even from LG, Samsung and Sony have a response time in the range of 6-8ms. So that raises the question of which TV to buy for gaming.

A bigger concern for me would be judder, people really don't comprehend how much it can ruin the experience in tv sets. 

I always check whether a tv can remove judder at hardware level on all inputs because software based interpolation just isn't that good. 

And I read in an early hands on that Mi 4 did exhibit a lot of judder, so if it's noticeable when it's being shown off, it might be a problem.

I would suggest you to wait for the reviews and till you can personally demo it before buying it.

Edited by kunjanp

14 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

A bigger concern for me would be judder, people really don't comprehend how much it can ruin the experience in tv sets. 

I always check whether a tv can remove judder at hardware level on all inputs because software based interpolation just isn't that good. 

And I read in an early hands on that Mi 4 did exhibit a lot of judder, so if it's noticeable when it's being shown off, it might be a problem.

I would suggest you to wait for the reviews and till you can personally demo it before buying it.

What tech specs to look for judder removal? I don't see any specific tech being marketed in tvs.

12 minutes ago, Playstationdude said:

What tech specs to look for judder removal? I don't see any specific tech being marketed in tvs.

Hardly any TV manufacturer mentions about the device's native capability to reduce judder, they will throw terms like 1000XR or Motion Plus to convince you that it doesn't have it but that's just software Interpolation, they are basically software emulating frames so the tv's native refresh rate matches with the input's. That may rectify experience sometimes but most of the times it just adds extra lag.

You would have to look for reviews like rtings.com, they do pretty good analysis but I doubt that they will do for Mi.

Best bet would be personal demo because everyone is affected differently by judder.

Now keep in mind that Judder is majorly pronounced over 24p signals sent over 60p/60i, given most games will run below 60p on consoles on a native refresh rate of 60 of Mi, you should definitely check it out before buying. 

Mi might be lucky to produce a judder free display.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Playstationdude said:

The issue I see is that most of the 4k TVs even from LG, Samsung and Sony have a response time in the range of 6-8ms. So that raises the question of which TV to buy for gaming.

Maybe Some. 5ms or less if you want to game. I dont know what Tv you are looking at.

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread