Bulovski

The TV Decision Making thread

LG 2019 OLED details: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1546474656

Bottom line: 120 fps support via HDMI. 2nd gen processor, but seems only marketing speak. Panels remain the same. Better anti-reflective coating. 

• Like 1

LG 2019 OLED details: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1546474656

Bottom line: 120 fps support via HDMI. 2nd gen processor, but seems only marketing speak. Panels remain the same. Better anti-reflective coating. 

5 hours ago, AtheK said:

Guys who have C8, is Alexa support enabled for your TV. 

I think you need to have the ThinQ skill enabled in your Alexa settings (and it also needs the ThinQ app ?). Apparently bit of a pain in the a*s. 

BTW, the voice remote does a good job of searching content on the native apps of TV. Much better than Fire Stick which cannot search Netflix etc.

I think you need to have the ThinQ skill enabled in your Alexa settings (and it also needs the ThinQ app ?). Apparently bit of a pain in the a*s. 

BTW, the voice remote does a good job of searching content on the native apps of TV. Much better than Fire Stick which cannot search Netflix etc.
Figured it out yesterday, it's for some reason not enabled for India region, change region to Australia and you have the setup pop up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hands down. Wish I had waited for this. Sigh.
But now leds dont cut it, for me. I have been spoilt. What brilliant PQ on these OLEDs, it's like way ahead of the league. Can't get to stop myself from watching tv

50 minutes ago, AtheK said:

But now leds dont cut it, for me. I have been spoilt. What brilliant PQ on these OLEDs, it's like way ahead of the league. Can't get to stop myself from watching tv emoji14.png

Hahhaa :D But what about the burn-in concern with gaming? I am thinking of picking one up a year or so down the line but would hold back from investing if this is a concern. 

Hahhaa  But what about the burn-in concern with gaming? I am thinking of picking one up a year or so down the line but would hold back from investing if this is a concern. 
Until. You have the same HUD up for 7-8 hrs shouldn't be a problem, anyway I never get to play that long in one sitting. Also no DTH for me on this TV in my HT room so chance of burn in is hugely reduced.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, l33tmaniac said:

Knowing Xiaomi, the panel will be sh*t.

Also any HDR is useless without FALD. And FALD is NOT happening at that price point. 

I wish I had all the money in the world to buy that LG rollable TV and Samsung's MicroLED. *drools*

Also, for those wondering about burn-in on OLED TVs, Rtings did an amazing year-long test with various scenarios. Here it is.

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Knowing Xiaomi, the panel will be sh*t.

Also any HDR is useless without FALD. And FALD is NOT happening at that price point. 

It's certified hdr 10 at the very least which is something even TVs a lot more expensive than this can't say. 

2 hours ago, adity said:

It's certified hdr 10 at the very least which is something even TVs a lot more expensive than this can't say. 

This.
@Bird Bird Bird I mean, this is obviously for the price conscious buyer. For the price that you are paying, you can't really complain. What's the cheapest FALD TV that you know? It's like saying I want to pay the price of a1050 and get the performance of 1070. 

40 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

This.
@Bird Bird Bird I mean, this is obviously for the price conscious buyer. For the price that you are paying, you can't really complain. What's the cheapest FALD TV that you know? It's like saying I want to pay the price of a1050 and get the performance of 1070. 

True, as simple it is there is no TV with 10 bit panel at that price. Let's see how PQ is. 

12 hours ago, adity said:

10 hours ago, l33tmaniac said:

This.

HDR 10 is an OPEN format. There is no certification for HDR 10, just baseline requirements AFAIK. Certification is issued for Dolby Vision and HDR10+ (currently Samsung and some Panasonic TVs). 

Moreover, HDR without FALD is quite literally buying a Ferrari with a Santro engine. Yes, the marketing looks awesome, but the gains are negligible. You cannot produce micro dimming zones all along the panel (specially bigger ones like 55 and 65 and beyond) with Edge LED. It is physically not possible. Not to mention this won't sell, heck, at that price point just putting a 10 bit panel makes it look much cooler than any product in the market, but there will be a lot of compromise. Also depends a lot on internal processing (primary reason of difference between Sony vs LG vs Pana even when panels are similar).

But then again, with Xiaomi pushing ads on TVs while changing channels, inputs, switching it off and on, it's just a sh*t experience. This looks more like a stop gap approach considering we will see cheaper OLEDs in the market pretty soon (from these same companies), maybe even by Q2 2019. 

P.S: Even the last Mi TV was advertised with a 10 bit panel (remember reading it in some of the reviews: https://www.digit.in/tvs/xiaomi-mi-tv-review-126079.html)

Edit: Any reviews of the soundbar ? Could locate only Geekyranjit's video and I find him annoying as f**k. :/

Edited by Bird Bird Bird