The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Karooo

finally finished the game after ~130 hours. and by finished i mean i've done the main quest and the major side stories, there's still a ton of stuff left to do. was completely enthralled with the game world all the way to the end. even the main quest, which i did last, has you doing some very cool things to progress. i even found the impetus to do this, something which is very rare for me. the game has some bugs and glitches but virtually all of them can be solved trivially with console commands, and it's a completely fair trade off for the sheer scope and size and ambition that this game has. performance and stability is far better than any bethesda game in the past, it runs beautifully even on older hardware like mine and the game is just flat out gorgeous. there are so many times you will just lose yourself in the moment while you are walking around the game world they have built. it is truly magical when that happens.

thank you bethesda for creating one of the greatest games i have ever played.

Edited by spindoctor

If any game is worth spending extra cash on. This is it. How many games give you a ~150 hour (or longer) single player experience?

@spin.. good to hear that the main quest is good. I'm still at the 85 hour mark and got loads of things left to do. I agree that this is one of the best games ever made.

FACK! I am addicted to this game. When I am not playing it, I'm thinking about playing it. If not for the random crashes, I wouldn't even be bothering to eat.

I used to be addicted to skyrim too. Then I took an arrow in the knee.

So, after getting out of the first dungeon I went strolling up the mountain nearby as macho wood elves do. What happened next was eerily similar to something in LOTR — out of nowhere, an apocalyptic blizzard (à la the Caradhras scene) was blowing in my face and an eagle was circling the peak above.

Link

Unfortunately, I seem to have an audio issue right off the bat. The sound is all right when I use earphones but otherwise is extremely attenuated. Any ideas as to how to fix this?

Edited by Art Vandelay

Skyrim is the Fastest-Selling Game in Steam History

Outsold other PC games 3 to 1 in November.

Skyrim is the fastest selling title in Steam's history," said Jason Holtman, Director of Business Development at Valve. "Bethesda's commitment to and understanding of the PC as a gaming platform shows in the great review scores, spectacular launch, and continued high player numbers that Skyrim has received. We are delighted that Bethesda chose to use Steamworks to support Skyrim both at retail and digitally."

http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1214990p1.html

200 reviewers say Skyrim is the perfect game

According to Bethesda's findings there have been some 200 perfect review scores which we'll assume equals 10/10s, 5/5s and five star ratings. 200 impressed critics is a lot, although if we head on over to Metacritic.com a slightly different picture is formed.

Xbox 360 - 86 critics - 31 gave 10/10 that's 36% of critics

PS3 - 13 critics - 1 gave a 10/10 that's 7.6% of critics

PC - 27 critics - 7 gave a 10/10 that's 25.9% of critics

The figures are extremely good generally, as Skyrim sits with a review average of around 95/100

http://www.msxbox-world.com/news/article/17495/200-reviewers-say-skyrim-is-the-perfect-game.html

‘Skyrim’ 1.3 patch breaking auto-saves, causing various problems

Only hours after the much-needed 1.3 patch for Skyrim has been released for Xbox 360 (and PS3 in Europe), users are beginning to report a variety of new bugs and unfixed issues. Some of the complaints include infinitely hanging loading screens, dragons that don’t give souls when defeated, Lydia falling through floors, and broken auto-saves. And, based on feedback in both comments and forums, players with a penchant for archery may be losing a considerable amount of skill points.

We decided to test the 1.3 patch on our own Xbox 360 copy, and found that when loading auto-saves (pressing continue or manually loading the auto-saves from the load screen), the load screen would freeze indefinitely. This occurred with all 3 of our auto-save files. Regular, manual saves could still be loaded properly.

Different issues seem to be affecting different people, so we wanted to run down a quick bullet point list of what we’ve seen reported so far. Note that we can only personally vouch for the auto-save issue, but that’s no small problem. You may want to, yet again, avoid updating Skyrim to patch 1.3 until some of these problems get shaken out.

* Invisible dragons

* Broken or non-loading auto-saves

* Textures are improved on HDD installs for some, but not for others

* Some cases of dragons still flying backwards

* Dragons not giving souls when defeated (existing issue not fixed)

* Lydia falling through various floors

* Markath bug still not fixed

* Archery skill level dropped dramatically

UPDATE: Upon more investigation here at VGW HQ, it appears that auto-saves created prior to installing the game to HDD are broken, while auto-saves created after installation work fine. To be safe, you may want to disable autosaves by booting up any Skyrim save, then press Start, and tab over to System Settings -> Gameplay, then disable Save on Rest, Save on Wait, Save on Travel, and Save on Character Menu.

Early reports from European gamers seem to indicate that the deadly PS3 lag is fixed for some, and not for others.

This is bound to be disheartening to even the most devout of Bethesda fans, and we can only imagine that testing these patches internally is nothing short of a nightmare for Skyrim’s developers, given the nearly infinite amount of variables with any given game save, character, or quest line.

Skyrim is not for consoles :P