The Careers Thread

MarketTantrik

On 10/21/2017 at 4:56 PM, Pushy said:

anyhu, just got back from a trip, meanwhile dad had got a call from them(i have Jio, so i gave them my old old number, which is used by le dad), he told that i was out of station, so they said they would again after 4-5 days, so what am i supposed to say if the salary is negotiable or not and if not then how to reject the offer?

Be confident in asking the package you want. Don't worry about whether you are asking more or not. If you don't put forward your case then no one will. If they are not fine with the amount then they will definitely tell you, at least that is what i would do.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

reviving this thread because looking for some advice

any online courses related to marketing or management that one can do?
I have 2 months off from college and would like to learn a new skill.

Any suggestions?

On 6/15/2018 at 11:45 PM, harjas said:

reviving this thread because looking for some advice

any online courses related to marketing or management that one can do?
I have 2 months off from college and would like to learn a new skill.

Any suggestions?

Look on Coursera or Udacity.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2017 at 7:02 PM, Pushy said:

okay, so, got a call from maybe HR of UBISoft, Pune, for the job of video game tester, will get a call again tomorrow from technical person...so they offered like 2L p.a and will be on contract basis wherein at the end of one year contract they will evaluate the performance and then make the decision of making me permanent or not, and they want me to relocate to Pune, as that's where the studio is, well i am fine with relocating to Pune, but the salary is somewhat disheartening :| 

any expert comments?

also, i am yet to go to GlobalTech Pune for their job offering for the same position (mentioned in earlier post, details in previous page), don't know how much they gonna payout :| but if it's like UBI's offering, then i will have to reconsider getting into game testing :( and look elsewhere maybe :( 

Don't go for this. You may ask them to match the salary for IT companies like TCS etc around 3.5 lakhs. Ideally, it should be more since there are no fringes. 

Also, most of these companies actually push their menial back-end jobs here. May not be viable just owing to their brand

Edited by Vip3r
missed a point

• 1 year later...

Anyone done CPA USA? Any advice would be helpful. Advice regarding how it compares with indian CA etc.... would be specifically helpful.

I often see people in this forum using American accounting Jargon, thats why I thought i will ask here.

Planning to make a career in auditing in the UAE.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by kmkaks

On 8/24/2019 at 11:32 PM, adity said:

You don't need US CPA for making a career in auditing in UAE. Indian CA should be good for that afaik. 

Regarding US CPA, it's a lot less intense than Indian CA. CPA also has a lot more recognition than CA. 

I'd warn you though, audit is not a great career. Money is half decent but the work life is crap and work is quite boring as well. 

Yes

Edited by kmkaks

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, kunjanp said:

Depends why you want to go abroad.

I have a travel bug lol.

Anyway I wanna go abroad and see whats its like. Not just from a fun standpoint but maybe go there and see what its like to study/work there. Without having to spend a whole lot of money. 

18 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Is that weird?

Also when I said soon, I dont mean immediately lol. Just trying to gather general info from people.

Im sure some of us have been abroad to work/study/scholarships/something else. 

Well, via the work route you will need to earn a minimum amount and your company has to sponsor you for a work visa. Unless, you are running a business. This doesn't apply to you yet.

If you get into a good college and by that I mean atleast the levels of DTU/NSIT (assuming that you are gonna pursue B.tech), you will have an opportunity to intern abroad in your 2nd year, you will be paid for it and mostly all the expenses will be covered but can vary. Again, your CGPA and CV need to be good enough.

For going to study from the get go, you will need to start thinking about SAT, TOEFL and IELTS. But mind you, even scoring high in these won't land you a decent scholarship. Your extra and co currics need to be exceptionally good otherwise you gotta pay.

Most straight forward way I think, is to score 97.5%+ in 12th boards or <1000 (<800 to be safe) in Jee Advanced, then you will be able to get into NUS with financial aid, you will have to work in Singapore for 2 years after graduation but that's totally fine.

And for the something else part, spend and tour is relatively straight forward.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Does anybody know here free CV Maker(which has template options available) which actually lets you save and download the resume from their website for free. All of them which I tried. I wrote everything but in the end when I try to download and save it asks for money. :\ All efforts wasted.

48 minutes ago, GameAnalyzer said:

Does anybody know here free CV Maker(which has template options available) which actually lets you save and download the resume from their website for free. All of them which I tried. I wrote everything but in the end when I try to download and save it asks for money. :\ All efforts wasted.

https://cvmkr.com/

Basic 4-5 templates are free. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://cvmkr.com/

Basic 4-5 templates are free. 
This is really great thanks. Also any recommendation for career sites for non IT roles? My personal experience with LinkedIn hasn't been great. Not a single one replied even for posts that I was Over qualified for. Having a really hard time with it.

Sent from my ASUS_I001DE using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I attended GATE 2020 to pursue MTECH in CS and I was able to achieve AIR 312 GEN category. Pursuing final sem of my CSE BE (no update but we are expecting some form of general promotion).

The thing is, it's been 4 rounds of counselling for IIT's (through this portal called COAP) and I still haven't got an offer. I Applied to 7 iits (core courses in CSE) and top 4 NITs. Still waiting for NITs to publish the result as it's been delayed. Today was the second last round for COAP and I couldn't get an offer. The last few months have been very rough and I have pretty much lost hope for IITs.

Can anyone from a similar background provide some info? How is going for PG at NITs? What about vs IITs? IIITs?

16 minutes ago, Aloy said:

I attended GATE 2020 to pursue MTECH in CS and I was able to achieve AIR 312 GEN category. Pursuing final sem of my CSE BE (no update but we are expecting some form of general promotion).

The thing is, it's been 4 rounds of counselling for IIT's (through this portal called COAP) and I still haven't got an offer. I Applied to 7 iits (core courses in CSE) and top 4 NITs. Still waiting for NITs to publish the result as it's been delayed. Today was the second last round for COAP and I couldn't get an offer. The last few months have been very rough and I have pretty much lost hope for IITs.

Can anyone from a similar background provide some info? How is going for PG at NITs? What about vs IITs? IIITs?

I am from IITD (b.tech+m.tech), not sure what your exact query is. Ping me for anything specific.

• 10 months later...