Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Karooo

I had written this game off with a vengeance when it came. A few weeks ago, saw the cd and decided to give it a try. My complain still stand,the story is uninspiring, insipid and confusing. True for all the AC games. But the gameplay on this was as perfect as anything i have ever played. The whole game felt like i was floating on ice. Even the idiotic bombmaking grew on me, and i was using it in encounters. The whole thing had the polish of a well oiled machine. I am glad i went back.

Initial impression -

Game is meh ..

AC: B was so much fun at the start levels

Hope Revelations catches up later

I completed some 4-5 missions

That tower defense thing wtf :doh:

I bought this game for the combat , free run and MP

And I found that combat isn't smooth like Brotherhood

I dunno but there are fps drops or something

• 4 weeks later...

so i decided to finally start this game last week. the reason i had held off so long, despite the fact that i pre-ordered it, was because of all the impressions of the game that range from tepid to downright bad. after having finished the game, i'm at a loss to understand why people disliked the game so much. i can understand if people say that it's only an incremental or evolutionary change from the core formula, but how is that a bad thing when the formula they are iterating on is so damn fun in the first place?

the city of istanbul was gorgeous, the music was fantastic and the game just oozes quality. high production values with no bugs or glitches or anything like that. you can still wander around aimlessly in the city and just get lost in the atmosphere and the music. the tombs this time around were especially cool, at least as good as some from ac2 (these were apparently outsourced entirely to ubi singapore). i skipped the desmond missions because i didn't want to collect feathers and i only ever did one den defense that was mandatory because i spent a lot of time upgrading the city and locking down my assassin dens before i was even half done with the game. the game stripped some nice stuff (like horse riding, which made the world feel smaller) but they also got rid of some of the annoying stuff (timed tombs, vehicle missions etc.). it still lasted me a good 23 hours to get to 78% sync without doing quite a bit of stuff. as for the story, i don't think revelations was a good name because there hardly were any. i did like how ezio's and altair's stories were ended though. for the first time i felt genuine empathy for altair and a real connection to ezio and i'm going to miss him in the future games. it was a fitting if predictable end to his story. for anyone who might be interested, ubisoft released an animated short called assassin's creed embers that is about ezio's life after the events of revelations. desmond's story was left hanging because of course they want to drag it into ac3.

i think this game is best viewed as an expansion than a proper sequel. if you ever felt that this is just more of ac2/acb, you'd be right, but it has also been a while since you played those games. if you enjoyed them, there's no reason that you wouldn't enjoy the gameplay of this one too.

from what i've heard, ac3 is shaping up to be pretty good as well. friend of mine in ubi says he has no idea about the story because the cutscenes aren't ready yet, but the gameplay looks great and they've made the anvil engine look even better than it does now. he said there are times he was blown away by the visuals.

I don't know how you got to 23 hours.. For me one of the major complaints was the length and size of the game. There are very few side missions (and I completed them all as soon as they became available, so was disappointed when more didn't turn up in later sequences) It's been some time since I played AC2 and ACB, but they had so much more variety and quality in side missions.

Take a look at the things that ACR added -

Den defense (bad)

Desmond journeys (bad)

Bomb making (meh)

Mediterranean defense (Absolutely pointless except for levelling up your recruits)

Hookblade (slightly smoother platforming)

Not to mention the whole Lucy storyline in ACB and ACR is bullshit.

Yes, the game still delivers on atmosphere, platforming and combat as much as(if not better) than any AC game, but that's about it. I agree it's more of an expansion than a full sized release.

Yea the game was good ... it's soundtracks, new hook-blade, changeable atmosphere...

Den-defense and Desmond's memory was that fun ...

Story was better, Loved the ending of 2 great assassins .. :bigyellowgrin:

@spindoctor - If you liked it, then great. I liked the city too. The atmosphere is good. The only complaint about Constantinople I have is that there's no variation, like the country side in Rome. It's buildings buildings everywhere. Other than that, I liked the colours. You seem to have stayed clear of the abominations (Den Defense+Desmonds Journey). There are lots of design decisions the game makes that is counter-intuitive, I've elaborated on it before.. don't care to now. Btw, you didn't give your impressions about the Bombs.

bombs were okay i guess. there's something kind of cool about dropping a smoke bomb at your feet and disappearing all ninja like :P. i got the feeling that they would be useful for people who play a lot more tactically than i do. for example, i have no qualms about killing enemies even if it means that i'll lose the 100% sync requirement, so i had a more straightforward approach to situations and that rendered diversion bombs somewhat less useful. i did play that one mandatory den defense mission and while it wasn't great, i also thought it wasn't terrible enough to make someone dislike the game because of them. and they were completely avoidable too... i locked all my assassin dens near the end of sequence 5, but before that i always made sure not to let my notoriety get to the point where my dens were in danger in the first place. it really wasn't hard to avoid the den defense missions for half the game until i didn't need to anymore.

won't comment on the desmond missions because i didn't do them at all, but i will say that i'm glad that they keep trying new stuff with the games. it would get pretty tiring if they never added new gameplay ideas to the series. sometimes it works (like the hookblade was a neat addition) and sometimes it doesn't and they'll drop it in the next game. they've done it in the entire series. remember how frustrating those timed dungeons were in ac2? they changed those and put the timers as a 100% sync requirements. or those absolutely lousy vehicle missions in acb? they got rid of that sh*t altogether. i'm sure they've heard enough criticism about stuff in this game that they will not bring back in the next game.

btw, if you are worried about the size of ac3, i'm told the map is 4 times as big as rome in acb.

I bought Assassin's Creed: Embers and it's awesome..... Fans of Ezio should certainly watch it...

I cried at the end of it.....

yea it was a sober and touching piece.

another point was that i liked the music a lot more than in acb. it was subtle but very beautiful at times. this was my favorite track which played during missions, and i especially love the part that plays from 0:30 to 0:50

it's crazy how many people they have working on these games. something like 6-8 different studios in different countries. managing the project must be one hell of a job. the credits for revelations were at least 20 minutes long. of course, that's what you have to do when you need to put a game out every year. then again, assassin's creed is the jewel in the crown for ubisoft so it makes sense they'd throw all the resources possible at it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived