Starhawk

Karooo

http://ps3.gamespy.com/playstation-3/lightbox-interactive-project/1168126p1.html

Starhawk wouldn't be Starhawk without aerial battles, but the Hawks aren't quite the same as Warhawk veterans might expect -- and that's due to feedback from players of the original game. Players griped of spawn-camping in Warhawk; Hawk aces would go into hover mode and keep bases covered with a rain of death. If you get backed into that particular corner, "you're kind of hosed," Sutphin says. So LightBox tried to find a way to balance the power of the Hawk without reducing its air superiority. That's when the developers settled on transformation. As a ground unit, the Hawk is slower and slightly more vulnerable, with no melee attack. Though, "If you jump, you can stomp people," Sutphin admits. In mech mode, the Hawk is also vulnerable to death from above. A well-placed airdrop can crush a rampaging robot under 10 tons of concrete bunker. It is a sight to behold.

Warhawk devotees will be pleased with LightBox's dedication to making Starhawk bigger and better -- with many of the changes based on suggestions made in the official Warhawk forums. Fan requests like an in-game calendar, cross-server clan voice chat, and a full automated tournament system are just a few of the features that LightBox is implementing. With 32-player multiplayer, four-player co-op campaigns, splitscreen multiplayer, and slew of other as-yet unannounced modes and features, Starhawk looks like one of the PlayStation 3's most ambitions online exclusives. 2012 suddenly feels like a long way off.

Yeah they've toned down the A2G attacks so ground soldiers stand a chance against planes. Planes can't hover any more. The RTS elements are going to be addicting as hell. Lightbox creators are huge SC2 fans so I can see where they were inspired from. Starhawk is pretty much going to be Starcraft 2 from the perspective of a soldier in a huge battlefield and things happening about 5 times as fast.

i mean it plays like a tower defense game....? :bigyellowgrin:

Dabba

read some previews dude... :threatenlumber:

i'm the only one not going :rofl: @ u... n u :threatenlumber: me... :cry:

y zodkaaaaaaaaaaa YYYYYYYYYYYYYY :chair:

More info from Destructoid :

Imagine giving every player in multiplayer the ability to build anything at any place in any map, in any game type. Warhawk was already known for its fast-paced, insane multiplayer battles, but this Build & Battle system in Starhawk takes it over the top. With the increased possibilities this system provides, tactics have to constantly evolve, making every type of standard multiplayer game mode newly fresh. Lightbox Interactive says that they had play tests that have lasted over five hours on the same map. They say that with all the possibilities provided, battles play out differently every single time.

The few tries I had in sessions of Capture The Flag were a blast, and a lot of my enjoyment came out of seeing how this battle system opens the doors for player types beyond the typical offensive and defensive positions. At first, my defensive tendencies took over, and I found myself building a sniper tower at a prime spot, and then manning it to pick off attackers. Later I tried building a wall in front of my base and found that walls could be linked together to create gates that only allies could enter and exit. Bunkers could also be built, and they come fully stocked with fine defensive weaponry including missile launches to take incoming Hawks out of the sky. Later I found that with some communication, some really advanced strategies could be devised to keep the enemy out of the base.

Pure offense was a joy with all the fun vehicle and weapon types available in Starhawk, though I'm usually more comfortable on the defensive side. An offshoot of the defensive player, the Troll, is made possible with ease of building in any place on the map. Imagine taking a ride along with an ally in a jeep to an area in front of an enemy base and then quickly jumping out to build a wall that holds the enemy in their base. While full-on offensive players are busy taking out any attackers, I found myself helping out with the placement of obstacles to create bottlenecks. I dreamed of sneaking past the enemy guard to create a bunker behind their base lines so that I could constantly bombard them with missiles. I could never pull it off, but I was told that it was easily possible.

The Build and Battle gameplay system allows a different type of gamer to finally give the skilled shooter player a run for his money. Creative types and troubleshooters can now stand toe to toe with the headshot wonders of the world now. The wealth of possibilities this new system provides makes Starhawk's multiplayer side much more accessible than Warhawk was. That said, the game still manages to keep that fast-paced, addictive multiplayer action that Warhawk was known for.

More at the link :

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-starhawk-201024.phtml

warhawk is epic, and this looks like its gonna take over that, but I really hope that they apply this "build ability" in a way that the core gameplay does not get affected. I know that the ctf will return, hopefully they also bring back hero, and collection. And this time around maybe Sony actually promotes this so it goes mainstream, then the masses will understand why so many have a cult following for Warhawk and Dylan jobe's work.

To all the haters calling it a halo wannabe or a stupid flying game, you guys don't know sh*t, first play warhawk and then speak. Played warhawk for more than 200 hours and my total time in a plane was not even 2% of that.....on foot with a launcher or turret seat in the jeep or a freaking tank is enough to scare away any plane.

warhawk is epic, and this looks like its gonna take over that, but I really hope that they apply this "build ability" in a way that the core gameplay does not get affected. I know that the ctf will return, hopefully they also bring back hero, and collection. And this time around maybe Sony actually promotes this so it goes mainstream, then the masses will understand why so many have a cult following for Warhawk and Dylan jobe's work.

To all the haters calling it a halo wannabe or a stupid flying game, you guys don't know sh*t, first play warhawk and then speak. Played warhawk for more than 200 hours and my total time in a plane was not even 2% of that.....on foot with a launcher or turret seat in the jeep or a freaking tank is enough to scare away any plane.

Who? :unsure:

Yeah they've toned down the A2G attacks so ground soldiers stand a chance against planes. Planes can't hover any more. The RTS elements are going to be addicting as hell. Lightbox creators are huge SC2 fans so I can see where they were inspired from. Starhawk is pretty much going to be Starcraft 2 from the perspective of a soldier in a huge battlefield and things happening about 5 times as fast.

It's pretty obvious that the transforming planes are "inspired" by StarCraft 2's Viking.

viking-thumb3.jpg

Archived