Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HundredProofSam

New PS3 support policy

358 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is OT, but being in pain of a conked out PS3, I figure I should post here.

My PS3 has stopped reading any kind of discs. Works fine otherwise, downloaded games from PS Store work fine. Its still in warranty (10 months left). I'll be going to the Sony service center, got a few queries first.

1. I've got the bill, but the warranty card is not signed. Is that a problem so should I get it signed first?

2. The import date on the box is well within the last 12 months. Any chance of that helping me with point 2 if I don't get the warranty card signed first?

3. I got the 320GB bundle with two games. Those games are traded and sold, does it matter?

4. Do I need to take the box along with the console?

5. Assuming they replace the console (hopefully they will), will it be brand new (sealed) or refurbished?

6. Will I get 1yr warranty again on that console if its new?

7. Should I call them up first to discuss this or just go there with the console (and box) ?

Any other experiences dealing with Sony for within warranty slim PS3 would surely help.

A DD/cheque of the amount.They don't accept cash.

All the accessories that came with the sku including the ps3 carton :ko: (they insisted on it)

and a lot of patience

in my case they never bothered for box/cartoon...and insisted that they accept cash only :P ...

Not sure if this is OT, but being in pain of a conked out PS3, I figure I should post here.

My PS3 has stopped reading any kind of discs. Works fine otherwise, downloaded games from PS Store work fine. Its still in warranty (10 months left). I'll be going to the Sony service center, got a few queries first.

1. I've got the bill, but the warranty card is not signed. Is that a problem so should I get it signed first?

2. The import date on the box is well within the last 12 months. Any chance of that helping me with point 2 if I don't get the warranty card signed first?

3. I got the 320GB bundle with two games. Those games are traded and sold, does it matter?

4. Do I need to take the box along with the console?

5. Assuming they replace the console (hopefully they will), will it be brand new (sealed) or refurbished?

6. Will I get 1yr warranty again on that console if its new?

7. Should I call them up first to discuss this or just go there with the console (and box) ?

Any other experiences dealing with Sony for within warranty slim PS3 would surely help.

1.they check the bill date only,so warranty not signed does not matter

2.import date is not your concern.the date of your purchase matter and your 1yr warranty starts from that date

3.they just take the console and accessories..wires and ds3...since they will be giving you a console with those accessories only in return.when they get the new ps3 for you ,that time they can open the seal and take away the extra games if its inside the box and just give the rest to you

4.you can take box.thats better

5.it will be brand new sealed one

6.i got it.get your warranty card stamped this time.

7.nothing to discuss.just take it along

now coming back to your question 5...previously they use to just take it..and then give a new ps3 after 3-4weeks usually,since no repairing option they had...but now as sam said below

. They said that since april, theyve started repairing PS3s in india, but only those under warranty. They said that since the fault seems to be software related, they should fix it and give it to me by tuesday.

so since your ps3 is under warranty they can go for the repair option also now...

@Killzone123 thanks for the info.

I hope for replacement. Repairing could take long. And I guess it not a software related issue so again replacement hopefully.

I just want to game again soon.

Am thinking of doing a PS3 restore (System Settings -> Restore PS3 System) . Just to see if it helps (I have five days to while away before going to Sony coming Saturday, hence trying it out).

From what I know, before doing the restore :

1. Backup the data. System Settings -> Backup Utility

2. Deactivate the PS3 system (helpful if PS store content was downloaded on this system). Account Management menu.

Anyone here tried the restore option ? Any hints/tips/suggestions would be most welcome. I'll be doing this tomorrow so hopefully will get more info by then.

@Killzone123 thanks for the info.

I hope for replacement. Repairing could take long. And I guess it not a software related issue so again replacement hopefully.

I just want to game again soon.

If its a hardware fault then definitely a replacement...a friend of mine last year got a brand new ps3 slim 120gb for his phat 80gb ps3..because the 80gb ps3's were out of production!!! He said it was the smartest purchase he has ever made! :P...lucky swine!

If its a hardware fault then definitely a replacement...a friend of mine last year got a brand new ps3 slim 120gb for his phat 80gb ps3..because the 80gb ps3's were out of production!!! He said it was the smartest purchase he has ever made! :P...lucky swine!

So far I'm hearing good inputs. In a nutshell, in-warranty PS3 = replacement = :coolspeak:

As for the PS3 restore, tried it. Didn't work. Now I have a fresh PS3 without any data on it. Thankfully I managed to backup the installed game data as well as saved data.

So I decided to pay the Sony Service Center a visit. Called them up in advance, they said bring the bill and the unit but no accessories. They took only the unit and said they'll check what the issue is.

* If its a minor issue, it'll be repaired within 3 working days.

* If its a major issue, then it'll be replaced within 7-10 working days.

So far I feel that if its a hardware fault, they don't take up the repair route and instead replace it. My concern is how will I know its a new console if they simply hand me one. Unless they take it out of a sealed box.

In any case, I can't complain much except say that since its a different piece than the one I gave them,

1. It may be a used/refurbished one in which case it may go kaput again anytime.

2. They should give me 1 year warranty, but point 1 is again important.

My console was less than 3 months old so I deserve a new replacement. Any used/refurbished one may drop dead soon after 1 year as compared to the chances of a new one doing so. But then again, mine didn't exactly live a full life, so all is well as long as there is a fresh 1 year warranty.

@they give a new console..ie bring a sealed one for you...thats the system...if the seal has to be opened then it should be done in front of you...

incase they dont do it ie bring a unsealed one and give to you,dont accept..because thats not the deal

@they give a new console..ie bring a sealed one for you...thats the system...if the seal has to be opened then it should be done in front of you...

incase they dont do it ie bring a unsealed one and give to you,dont accept..because thats not the deal

Okay, will insist on a sealed unit. Thanks for the reminder, bro.

And maybe bribe them if its a game bundle, and I want the game :naughty:

Okay, will insist on a sealed unit. Thanks for the reminder, bro.

And maybe bribe them if its a game bundle, and I want the game :naughty:

:P

since they took just the console..i guess they will just return you a brand new console only...i mean if they never took the wires and ds3 from you..they should bring a sealed pack and open it in front of you and then hand you just the console..this should be the way ideally...or they might ask you to bring the accessories later on with you,if they are sure that it will be replaced only..and then hand you a sealed pack...

but as i said before make sure its a sealed pack...i had mine replaced 2months back and the guy asked my permission and opened the seal in front of me...because he wanted to note some model no etc..and also i wanted to check if everything was inside :P

and lastly all the best...hope you get your ps3 fast

Edited by killzone123