StormShadow

~The TV Shows Thread~

17432 posts in this topic

Simpsons, yes, except for Season 18. To quote Jeff Albertson, "WORST..SEASON...EVER!" And the way the movie screwed up, I am fast beginning to think the show has grown out of itself. Time to put the dog down in a humane way.

On the other hand, Futurama was, is, and will be, MUCH better than the Simpsons any given day of the century, unless of course, they don't screw up the four upcoming Direct-to-DVD movies. I STILL can't get over the fact that Jhn DiMaggio did the voice of Marcus Fenix. Everytime I play Gears, I think "HEY! BENDER! ;)"

Simpsons has a certain satirical quality that imbibed political undertones through slapstick and stupid physical comedy. Southpark has a similar theme but chooses to voice its political messages in overt, often unappetizing and unpleasant ways which detracts from the quality of the show's writing and the humour. Futurama is amazingly well written and genuinly funny, but doesn't have the lasting appeal of the Simpsons because it circumvents most of the political and sociological issues of the time and hence doesn't strike any chords during each episode. Which is why most people will remember specific moments from episodes of the Simpsons long after they have forgotten the plot of the episode of Futurama that they saw the previous day.

Yup, there are a lot of hot buttons that are pushed in The Simpsons which are conveniently overlooked in Futurama, but then I find that there are more memorable moments from the Simpsons than Futurama, simply because there are more episodes for the former. But when it comes to the quality of each and every episode that is aired, Futurama comes out on top, once again, probably because it, sadly, only ran for five seasons, and the writers had a lot less pressure going for them.

But to its credit, a lot of Futurama was pure satire on the political and socioeconomic aspects of modern day society as well, especially episodes like A Big Pile of Garbage, I Dated a Robot, Three Hundred Big Boys, and some overtly anti-US-warmongery sentiments in War is the H-Word. Plus, the first 10-12 seasons of the Simpsons were spectacular, but then, it started going too slapstick and too crude when it cames to its jokes and Homer transformed into a whole other person who was stupidly spiteful, even though there were a smattering of episodes where his sensitive side did shine through. Frankly though, I wish they get all the old writers back on board, including Conan O'Brien and then start fresh with the formula that made them great in the first place, instead of just going with the celebrity showoffs that's going around in the last two seasons, although I admit the Mandy Moore segment was the Simpsons at their funniest best, at least for that season.

southpark is good, but sometimes, they go overboard with their "sense of humor" ! I found episodes like "death camp of tolerance", "Mr. garrisons vagina implant" etc more corny than funny.

In that way, family guy is cool - its within limits of good humor and is really funny !

Simpsons has a certain satirical quality that imbibed political undertones through slapstick and stupid physical comedy. Southpark has a similar theme but chooses to voice its political messages in overt, often unappetizing and unpleasant ways which detracts from the quality of the show's writing and the humour. Futurama is amazingly well written and genuinly funny, but doesn't have the lasting appeal of the Simpsons because it circumvents most of the political and sociological issues of the time and hence doesn't strike any chords during each episode. Which is why most people will remember specific moments from episodes of the Simpsons long after they have forgotten the plot of the episode of Futurama that they saw the previous day.

i wud really appriciate if u give my english exam on my behalf ;):lol:

does any1 remember a show named "streethawk" which came on dd1 a decade ago?

Heh Heh !! Dumb show ! Came out as a response to the success of Knight Rider. Another show on similar lines was "Air Wolf". It was about a super helicopter.

i agree..... loved street hawk when i was a kid.... ..... knight rider was a bit dumb i felt ....... me too never heard of airwolf........

Edited by reaper

Knight Rider was the trend setter and had much more varied plot lines compared to Street Hawk and Air Wolf. And KITT rocks. Which other show can boast of a sentient wisecracking super car ?

EDIT: Not to mention that KITT was based on the iconic Pontiac Trans-Am. Neither Street Hawk nor Air Wolf were based on real life vehicles.

Edited by markettantrik