Next-Gen Consoles Rumors & Related NEWS

Details on PlayStation 4's Processing Specs

Some new details on PS4 specs -

The PlayStation 4, reportedly codenamed Orbis, may utilize AMD's A8-3850 APU and Radeon HD 7670 GPU, sources have told IGN, offering the combined performance of both integrated and discrete graphics processors.

According to the official product specs, the A8-3850 packs a quad-core 2.9GHz processor with an integrated graphics chip. The APU will work in tandem with the system's dedicated GPU, the HD 7670, a DirectX 11-enabled card clocked to 1GHz with up to 1GB of dedicated VRAM.

The HD 7670 is a rebranded version of last year's HD 6670, sporting identical specs across the board. If you recall, the HD 6670 is the same card that we reported will be used in the Xbox 720. The implication, of course, is that the two systems will effectively go toe-to-toe as far as discrete graphics are concerned.

By current standards, the HD 6670 is an entry-level processor with a price of about $74.99. Benchmark tests place framerate performance for taxing titles games like Metro 2033 and Crysis 2 set to high settings at a resolution of 1920x1080 (1080p) with average framerates of just over 30 frames-per-second. The chip also supports HDMI1.4a output, which is necessary for the system's rumored 4k output. Naturally, a comparably lightweight operating system and console-optimized games will likely improve performance, but the PS4's real edge could come from the secondary GPU provided by the APU.

Onboard the A8-3850 is an HD 6550D, which makes the APU capable of running games at baseline specs and lower resolutions without the help of a discrete GPU. When the APU is paired with the HD 7670, however, Sony will be able to utilize an asymmetrical CrossFire configuration to share the load of realtime graphics processing.

Our sources caution that while current plans for the device make use of the the chipsets mentioned, it is possible that changes could be made prior to the system's launch.

SOURCE - IGN

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/04/04/sources-detail-the-playstation-4s-processing-specs

yeah, no one even talks cell processors

its not a good idea to upgrade at this stage in gaming...I mean most of the best exclusives coming out now are on consoles only( i mean the last of us,the last guardian.gta 5(it may come to pc also),halo 4 and many more)...on top by the time these games you finish up next gen consoles will be literally be here(which will have latest tech to compete with your current pc tech and all that at much less price compared to pc upgrade) ...

correct if i am wrong but pc i believe is always best to upgrade when next gen console is in middle of its life term...

:ha:

720 Devkit Specs Detailed, Includes 16-Core Processor

According to the latest issue of Xbox World magazine, devkits for Microsoft’s next generation console are already in the wild, and were shipped to developers in March. The first devkits reached a select number of developers after Microsoft’s hush-hush developer’s conference in London on February 28, 2012. The purpose of the conference was to brief European representatives on the new hardware, which is codenamed Durango – the meeting was subsequently confirmed by a senior technical artist at Crytek, who tweeted that he was “enjoying the Durango developers summit in London. So far, great swag and interesting talks.” Further meetings were held for American developers at the Game Developers’ Conference in San Francisco, with Durango devkits shipping “shortly afterwards.”

The publication states that current devkits will not mirror the final hardware in appearance, however, initial specifications are representative of the console set to ship in late 2013. Sources close to Xbox World magazine have revealed that Durango’s devkit features a “monster” 16-core IBM PowerPC CPU, a GPU comparable to AMD’s Radeon HD 7000-series graphics cards, and a Blu-Ray optical drive.

“Even if you had a 16-core processor in your gaming PC there are currently no games built to use it, but games for the next Xbox could put all sixteen cores to work on day one for a level of performance far in excess of current gaming PCs. It’s a ridiculous amount of power for a games machine – too much power, even. But remember, Kinect 2 could chew up four whole cores tracking multiple players right down to their fingertips, so it’ll need a lot of power.”

Discrete sources at GDC also confirmed to the publication that developers expect Sony’s Playstation 4 to be more powerful than the next Xbox, and that various studios are aiming to unveil their next generation software at E3 2012 in June, regardless of whether “Microsoft and Sony are ready or not.”

“Regardless of whether the next Xbox makes it to E3, the arrival of those Durango devkits is the starting gun for the next generation and once again Microsoft have beaten Sony out of the gate by getting hardware into the developers’ hands first. Sony keep denying any possibility of PS4 at E3 2012 too, but if they don’t move fast Microsoft could roll into June’s LA showcase with dozens of next-generation exclusives from third-parties. When Epic shows that first Unreal 4 demo they’ll only have one console platform to talk about – call it Durango, call it 720, call it what you like, but if Microsoft move fast it might be the only game in town.”

src: sillegamer

but if they don’t move fast Microsoft could roll into June’s LA showcase with dozens of next-generation exclusives from third-parties.

MS flat out confirmed that there is no info/showcase for the Xbox 720 this E3. In clear words leaving no doubt. If you are gonna make sh*t up at least pay attention to whats happened. :doh:

So, so far... 16 cores. Double GPU. All we need is a rumor that it has 64 GB RAM while we are at it.

Next Xbox to feature 64 GB RAM

Yes, you heard it right. Microsoft's next console, lovingly known as 720, code named Durango is going to feature a massive 64 GB RAM. This news was confirmed in a snide comment by an IVG author (name withheld on request). We are still speculating as to how much effect it will have on the gaming scene, but it looks like Microsoft is trying best to get the advantage over their rivals Sony. There are also rumors that Sony's next console will feature only 32 GB RAM, to which we still do not have any confirmation. As usual, both Microsoft and Sony has denied to comment on any rumor about the size.

Source: xyz/euro/uk/usa/silly/troll/idiot gamer/console/tv/network .com/net/ru/cn

^^ haha :lol:

I think if sony used a 16 core cell processor , their development cost and manufacturing cost would be really less ..

I mean they really dont have to overhaul anything console hardware wise ... just upgrade it ...

microsoft on the other hand has to go blu-ray compatible ..

if the specs are nearly identical .. I think sonys console would be cheaper to manufacture .. this time around ..

but after ac2,acr,me3,skyrim etc .. I dont think they would bother much with ps3 architecture though ..

i hope they dont bring that bubly sh*t to the next gen UI

No. I included both troll and idiot in there. B)

referring to someone in the forums using that language is not allowed ...zodak who uses that often has been warned also by MT.... so think about it before using again just my advice to you before you may also end up getting banned ...

referring to someone in the forums using that language is not allowed ...zodak who uses that often has been warned also by MT.... so think about it before using again just my advice to you before you may also end up getting banned ...

Are, joke tha re.

Archived