Next-Gen Consoles Rumors & Related NEWS

ok let me get he argument straight, I guess the developers who want next actually refer to more RAM and better processor, not VRAM, VRAM/GPU is an added benefit to make it look better, But RAM is what they actually need, not that they really need it to make better games necessarily, but if they have more then they can make the AI do fairly complex behaviors which MAY result in better games, not that it will SURELY result in better games.

BETTER LOOKING games are not BETTER games just because of looks.

What a pointless platitude. :doh:

Wow, if none of you cared about graphics then why spend money on a PS3/360 and HDTV? PS2 with a crt should have sufficed for all your gaming needs.

Still have PS2 and Wii (for GC games) connected to a CRT and play it from time to time. I wouldn't have cared about current gen if they hadn't stopped making games for PS2/Xbox.

Still have PS2 and Wii (for GC games) connected to a CRT and play it from time to time. I wouldn't have cared about current gen if they hadn't stopped making games for PS2/Xbox.

Same here, the only reason I bought a ps3 because my grey market was stocking ps2 games @ a rate slower than I was completing em.

I played all 130-150 games he had.

Next time I went to his shop he just folded his hands :)

That question wasn't meant for you guys. Just check the Vita or UC3 thread and see how many guys goes "omg gfx" whenever a new screenshot is posted, thats how majority of the gamers are. (I prefer good graphics as well, although I still emulate psone/snes games)

And still have my ps2 connected to a crt as well, but the new consoles did bring in more than just pretty graphics. I don't think you could have had a 256p game like MAG on the ps2, or an srpg with large battlefields like VC. Or take team ICO collection, playing SoTC on a large HD TV with proper surround sound was a completely different experience than the one I had on a 21" crt with stereo sound and laggy framerates. The same goes for mp infrastructure.

A better hardware would also mean smaller developers can bring out decent HD games without ultra optimization (and hence high costs). That alone would be reason enough to welcome a new console.

That question wasn't meant for you guys. Just check the Vita or UC3 thread and see how many guys goes "omg gfx" whenever a new screenshot is posted, thats how majority of the gamers are. (I prefer good graphics as well, although I still emulate psone/snes games)

vita is a different category only...and the uc3 "omg gfx" is one reason why many feel that there is still lot left in current gen that even now we are being surprised by amazing gfx......also u see it has been again that this gen has started to see some more fresh ips coming- Asura,dragon dogma,neverdead and all are coming out...hard to see need for new console right now...not totally against the idea but just saying give it some more time...2 years more i guess....till then we still have many games.....

Then wouldn't you like to see UC3 level of graphics as a standard instead of it being limited to a few of the best devs with extremely high budgets.

the reason why so many hd versions are coming out because this gen still cannot beat last gen in terms of gameplay,story and overall appeal......people still love to go back and play those....so even though uc3 level graphics is welcome it is not the only thing we ask for.....beside it is not that small time devs have not produce some great looking titles this gen with not so high budget ... i am sure everyone will agree on this atleast that Ninja theory's enslaved and heavenly sword looked awesome....and there are others too for sure....

Heavenly sword sold 1.5 mil and Enslaved 800k soon after release and still ended up being in the red. So there you go, you defeated your own argument because that is the cost of developing a decent looking game this gen.

By small time I meant a title that can sell 50-200k and still be regarded as a big success. The PS2 allowed that, the handhelds still does, which is why most of the niche genres have moved on to it.

Heavenly sword sold 1.5 mil and Enslaved 800k soon after release and still ended up being in the red. So there you go, you defeated your own argument because that is the cost of developing a decent looking game this gen.

By small time I meant a title that can sell 50-200k and still be regarded as a big success. The PS2 allowed that, the handhelds still does, which is why most of the niche genres have moved on to it.

:lol: i think we were talking abt graphics...why bring sales now??....lot of big budget games also have not been successful and sold much less despite looking great...

also please tell which ps2"great looking games compared to same gen games" sold 50k-200k and was regarded big success .....if you cosider that i believe lot of psn games also looked great and sold abt that much only and are also regarded great success ..

and handhelds you say...producing games for handhelds is one thing and producing games on console is another thing...

Seems the point completely went over your head.

The fact that 1+ mil sales couldn't bring them profit shows that the level of graphics is not sustainable for smaller developers. With a better hardware it will be.

In the case of consoles, RAM refers to VRAM, there's no other kind.

you of all people :doh:

Consoles do have RAM, PS3 has 256 MB XDR RAM

Memory:

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz

256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

Wow, if none of you cared about graphics then why spend money on a PS3/360 and HDTV? PS2 with a crt should have sufficed for all your gaming needs.

I assume you know about the whole online thing we have in this gen, anyways, my point is, was and will be that better looking games are not essentially better games

sure if they look good then it is an added aspect that appeals, but no one will actually care for a shitty game that looks good, at least nobody with enough mind

and PS2 pwns everything we have today, the sheer number and variety of games was amazing, now all we have is a shooter set in past/present/future/space/other planet

PS: Avoiding Afty's response, he has decided long back that he needs a new console, obviously not even God can convince him otherwise now :P

Seems the point completely went over your head.

The fact that 1+ mil sales couldn't bring them profit shows that the level of graphics is not sustainable for smaller developers. With a better hardware it will be.

actually no but since you jump from graphics to sales ...let me get to your point only... i think you not realizing that even in next gen the big developers developers only will be able to sustain the high level graphics demand of its time and these small time will again be competiting against them only to produce the demands of next gen instead of making it look like this gen thus again back to square one (high cost)...like they are doing now and suffering high cost for it.........no one can guarantee success like that even in next gen.......

After having seen how the next gen Wii has turned out, no high hopes for the other two.

that also.....i mean they dont look like they will produce very high end expensive hardware again ....may be balanced one this time....which wont give much from what we already seen on high end pc of today.

After having seen how the next gen Wii has turned out, no high hopes for the other two.

actually screw the wii-u. one look at the vita and you know sony are not gonna stop playing the 'graphics' card even the next console generation.

you of all people :doh:

Consoles do have RAM, PS3 has 256 MB XDR RAM

That XDR is also kind of VRAM, they just put inside Cell and called it main ram, and its even faster and more expensive than VRam. There's no place for slow-a*s PC system Ram inside consoles :P

That XDR is also kind of VRAM, they just put inside Cell and called it main ram, and its even faster and more expensive than VRam. There's no place for slow-a*s PC system Ram inside consoles :P

who says RAM necessarily should mean DDR2/3 :lol:

price is not the point, RAM =/= VRAM, I win :P

there is a lotta stuff here bout games & potential within the existing units........ any actual news bout the next gen?

it is kinda cool to stay off topic here, you will get used to it :P

Archived