Nvidia Takes Back GFX Card Market Share from AMD!

WhiteWolf

After a troublesome first quarter, Nvidia has, in the second quarter of this year, managed to take back some of the market share lost in favor of AMD thanks to a significant increase in the notebook GPU market.

According to the latest data provided by Market Watch, Nvidia has managed to secure in the second quarter of this year 54.6% percent of the total graphics card market, 3.8% more than what it managed to achieve in Q1 2011.

The rise is due mostly to strong sales in the notebook space, where Nvidia gained 8.9 points for a total of 50.6% market share.

The gains come at the expense of AMD, which slipped to 49.4 percent from the 58.3% it held in the first quarter of the year.

However, AMD did manage to score a small victory in the desktop graphics card market, where it has gained 0,2% from Nvidia for a total of 40.8 percent market share.

The battle between AMD and Nvidia comes at a time when analysts believe that the advent of compact notebooks designs, such as Intel's Ultrabook project, will significantly shrink demand for discrete GPUs in the notebook sector.

“We expect Intel Corp. and AMD to increasingly focus on notebooks with longer battery lives, lowering power consumption by about 50% over the next two years,” wrote Mark Lipacis, an analyst at Jefferies, in a note.

“We believe that lower notebook power limits would make it increasingly difficult for [manufacturers] to fit power-hungry discrete [graphics chips] in their notebook designs, representing a secular headwind for Nvidia and AMD’s notebook discrete [graphics chip],” concluded the analyst.

In the overall graphics market, which also includes integrated solutions, the winner is Intel, which commands 55.4 percent of the entire market. This is followed by AMD, with 24.1%, and Nvidia, with 19.9 percent. (via ComputerBase)

Nvidia-Takes-Back-Graphics-Market-Share-From-AMD-2.png

AMD is the reason, Nvidia had to drop prices of the card, i hope there is an equilibrium maintained like this where in the difference in market share is always a fraction higher then others, consumers are the biggest winners in such a scenario.

Can AMD even compete anymore? They did well, but it seems like every PC game runs well on Nvidia cards compared to Amd ones.

lolz

in ur dreamz

ur talking about cpu market,where every system is almost intel cpu

gpu is altogether defferent game,it's the amd leading the market since 48XX series.

lolz

in ur dreamz

ur talking about cpu market,where every system is almost intel cpu

gpu is altogether defferent game,it's the amd leading the market since 48XX series.

Nah it's true , it's partly because AMD is extremly lethargic in making new drivers and NVidia pays developers to optimize it for their card . If they improve on this , AMD will kick NVidias a*s

Nah it's true , it's partly because AMD is extremly lethargic in making new drivers and NVidia pays developers to optimize it for their card . If they improve on this , AMD will kick NVidias a*s

i thought u will post some sh*t

amd have been doing good vwith new drivers.

and i own a 580 gtx lightning

i thought u will post some sh*t

amd have been doing good vwith new drivers.

and i own a 580 gtx lightning

And if you ever visit the PC ask the experts thread you will know I always suggest AMD GFX cards as NVidia can never beat them in VFM

Archived