Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HundredProofSam

Review: Need for Speed: The Run

34 posts in this topic

Review: Need for Speed: The Run

by Murali VenuKumar aka keyofx

You could perhaps write an engaging literary treatise on how the slow motion crashes in Need for Speed: The Run somehow represent the gradual destruction of the NFS brand and legacy, but there isn't any need to dig as deep as that. A few minutes with the game and it'll be clear enough that The Run is just another inherently flawed video game, mostly owing to an oversized raft of questionable design decisions. What's more disheartening than the game itself is the fact that Black Box had two years to work on their follow-up to the (surprise!) also timidly received Need for Speed: Undercover. Now, two years may not seem like a long time, but it bears extra weight when you consider the fact that we've had three great Need for Speed games by other studios in the interim. Criterion's Hot Pursuit and Slightly Mad's Shift 2 are a class apart and can be picked up together on the cheap as opposed to paying MRP for The Run.

Full review

Sadly Frostbite 2 makes my laptop bite the dust. I wish they'd gone with whatever HP used though, which runs well even on somewhat decent configs and looks good. I gather this stuff might look really good on a kickass rig but for me it sucks to have to play this all dialed down when the environmental detail is probably the best part of the game.

Sadly Frostbite 2 makes my laptop bite the dust. I wish they'd gone with whatever HP used though, which runs well even on somewhat decent configs and looks good.

i'm pretty sure that hot pursuit was built on frostbite 1. it isn't worlds apart from frostbite 2. turns out i was wrong, they used something called the chameleon engine.

either way, the engine isn't what makes this a bad game.

Edited by spindoctor

^ It's not about Frostbite and the use of the engine is quite subdued here anyway. Plus I think the PC version is locked to 30fps.

This is really f**ked up , firstly you build a game on a sophisticated engine and then limit it down

either way, the engine isn't what makes this a bad game.

It isn't, but the game has no business looking this meh when its using a next gen engine..

BF3 made me consider buying a PC. It was that bad. Thankfully I played Batman: AC and UC3 after it and realised it wasn't the hardware that was bad.