Protest Against The Sudden Price Hike By EA (OP updated)

best way to protest is, buy games from psn and share them. Then send them pics of PSN sharing with id's blacked out :P

no, the best thing to do is to not buy the games. then there are about a hundred other things on the list which are still better than pirating the game as you suggest. or did you think sharing isn't piracy?

no, the best thing to do is to not buy the games. then there are about a hundred other things on the list which are still better than pirating the game as you suggest. or did you think sharing isn't piracy?

I think a good number are still under that impression.

People will buy games despite this price hike. There will not be any drop in numbers compared to the previous year because the number of console/gaming PC owners increases significantly. Face the facts. And "protesting" will not really help.

I am not happy with the price increase at all but when Battlefield 4 is launched, I will buy it day 1. Because I want to play the game, EA knows people want to play their games, hence. I mean, I have paid 4.9k for BF3 + Premium. As have many. So why complain?

And at the end of it, we are whining about rising cost of gaming : I mean, other than those for whom it is a profession (game devs, etc.), gaming is an indulgence and as they say, "No price is high enough for an indulgence".

Peace.

^^Ok so lets do this. Where would you draw the line for your "indulgence"? Buy it even if its 5k? 10k? 15k? 20k per game?

Now just pretend that whatever your ridiculous price point was where you drew the line, there is someone else for whom the line was drawn at 2.5k. Hope that helps you see why people are "complaining". :)

As far as "people will buy it anyway" argument is concerned, its f**king stupid. And I will tell you why its f**king stupid. You are thinking everyone is like you and from that you are extrapolating that everyone will make the same decision as you. Fortunately, that is not the case.

So feel free to buy stuff at whatever rip off prices you are ok paying. Rest of us, will whine and complaint and not buy like sane people.

It is just a hobby.

People will buy games despite this price hike

Ummm no. College students who arrange money to buy games wont buy. FIFA, BF, NFS might sell, but Dead Space and MOH etc are doomed.

^^Ok so lets do this. Where would you draw the line for your "indulgence"? Buy it even if its 5k? 10k? 15k? 20k per game?

Now just pretend that whatever your ridiculous price point was where you drew the line, there is someone else for whom the line was drawn at 2.5k. Hope that helps you see why people are "complaining". :)

As far as "people will buy it anyway" argument is concerned, its f**king stupid. And I will tell you why its f**king stupid. You are thinking everyone is like you and from that you are extrapolating that everyone will make the same decision as you. Fortunately, that is not the case.

So feel free to buy stuff at whatever rip off prices you are ok paying. Rest of us, will whine and complain and not buy like sane people.

It is just a hobby.

Fully agree with this. I might end up making $80k a year but that doesn't mean I'm crazy enough to buy a game for $200 just because I can. For me it's just a hobby. The kinda folks who "buy it anyway" will be far fewer in number, especially in India. I remember how my folks would think I'm crazy to pay 2.5k for a game. Much less 5k. So they will definitely lose a large segment of their buyers with this hike.

People will buy games despite this price hike. There will not be any drop in numbers compared to the previous year because the number of console/gaming PC owners increases significantly. Face the facts. And "protesting" will not really help.

I am not happy with the price increase at all but when Battlefield 4 is launched, I will buy it day 1. Because I want to play the game, EA knows people want to play their games, hence. I mean, I have paid 4.9k for BF3 + Premium. As have many. So why complain?

And at the end of it, we are whining about rising cost of gaming : I mean, other than those for whom it is a profession (game devs, etc.), gaming is an indulgence and as they say, "No price is high enough for an indulgence".

Peace.

One question ..

Are you really staying in India ??

Here in India many of the gamers are students who depend on pocket money for gaming

People go and pirate even a game costing 500 rupees

If you could go and buy a game for 3.5k it doesn't mean others could

I used to buy a lot of games day 1 when the price was 2.5k .. As soon as prices started to rise to 2.7k then 3k

I stopped buying Day 1 .. Instead I shifted to XBLA games and started paying a lot of attention to Deal of the week , etc

If EA rises price shamelessly , people will find a new option (not necessarily pirating the game)

There are lots of choices like BF3 has COD , Fifa has PES , etc

What about other EA games like NFS , Dead Space which have stuggled in sales ??

Any way u go EA is at loss for pricing so high

@Afty - Agreed

How many guys stopped buying Call of Duty when Activision started pricing it at 3499...i don't think many did...people were still buying it in the same numbers as before. This is something that definitely has encouraged EA to do the same.

my $0.02. It would be a very nice statistical exercise to conduct if we can make a list of all 'haters' in this list who would end up buying the aforementioned games once they come out.

The only problem with Internet protests is that a lot of people end up on the dark side in the end. They will protest/scream/howl/deny initially and then end up falling to the temptation. I still remember when MW2 had it's price jacked up by a significant margin; and folks@ivg cried heresy. However, most of those did go and buy the game once it came out at that price. And the trend continued.

From the Indian gaming landscape; I would definitely say that this is the latest in the string of setbacks we have been receiving since a few companies have been trying to 'monopolise' the local market. Given the statements most of the folks protesting in this thread made on those occasions, I would simply suggest we take it with some more sodium chloride and move on.

So feel free to buy stuff at whatever rip off prices you are ok paying. Rest of us, will whine and complaint and not buy like sane people.

It is just a hobby.

A year from now, just compare sales figures for games post the price hike and for previous iteration of that same game before the price hike. I hope I am wrong, but until then these are just facts I am pointing out, it is not a "mentality" I am supporting.

And Afty, I said "Peace" didn't I? I didn't attack anyone, I just pointed out that whining will not help so move on. Either buy day 1 at ridiculous prices, or day 30 at IVG prices (TP ftw), or skip the game altogether.

I'd rather that games be distributed similar to mobile VAS services, where you pay a rental and download it, once the time is up, the game gets deactivated. Or some other different system of distribution which would ease the burden on consumers. That might happen next gen. Hopefully.

I mean, I have paid 1/3 the price of a PS3 on BF3 alone. Just coz I am not whining does not mean I am jubilant. So chill, Afty. I'm not happy paying so much money for gaming.

One question ..

Are you really staying in India ??

Here in India many of the gamers are students who depend on pocket money for gaming

If you could go and buy a game for 3.5k it doesn't mean others could

I stay in India. My parents never encouraged gaming so I made my first gaming purchases only after I started earning. If you want to be able get your game on, solely from pocket money then good luck with that.

How many guys stopped buying Call of Duty when Activision started pricing it at 3499...i don't think many did...people were still buying it in the same numbers as before. This is something that definitely has encouraged EA to do the same.

Thanks, man. This is the point I was trying to make. That the number of people who will buy at higher prices will far outnumber the ones who don't. Not supporting the hike in prices, but just coming to terms with and suggesting others to come to terms without cribbing much. There is plenty more in life that the "college kids" will get to whine about in later years.

And who is to stop EA from pricing the online pass at exactly the price of a new game. What then?

Again, peace.

Archived