The Anime and Manga thread

TheCoCkyRussian

if you liked te violence, check out berserk

for scifi/cyberpunk elements go for GITS and ergo proxy

Gantz is not going to be similar to any anime, especially not Ergo Proxy. The pacing of Gantz is like 1,000,000,000,000 different than that of Ergo Proxy.

GITS is still slightly closer, without the whole sexual themes and gore.

Anyways, just for the record i'm the ultimate otaku who lost most of his anime in a fatal HD crash. :P But so is life, while we're still on the topic of anime let me name some of my favourites:

Favourite Anime Series:

-Samurai Champloo

-Zegapain

-Ouran High School Host Club

-Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

-Karas

-Yu Yu Hakusho

-Chobits

-Furi Curi (Fooly Cooly)

-FMA

-Green Green

-Hellsing

-Honey and Clover

-Big O

-ROD TV

-Elfen Lied

-Mezzo series

-Birdy the Mighty

-Witch Hunter Robin

-Paranoia Agent

-Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

-Bleach

-Death Note

Favourite Anime Movies:

-Grave of the Fireflies

-Princess Monoke

-Spirited Away

-Akira

-Ninja Scroll

-Samurai X movies

-Castle in the Sky

-Millenium Actress

-Perfect Blue

I have many, many more that i've seen and like, bold animes are specially good.

PS: Subs > Dubs

Edited by Systematic

• 2 weeks later...
So i was searching for the J-RPG thread and this popped up. Sweet!

Currently watching Bleach, love the show. i've watched Robotech (all 85 episodes), the Shadow Chronicles Movie and plan to get my hands on MegaZone 23. Plus i've got a copy of Akira lying around that i'm yet to watch.

Guys, any other anime suggestions?

Also, Subs>Dubs (try watching Robotech's first generation, also known as Macross and see if you can survive Minmei's irritating voice).

rurouni kenshin

Fk... n ithough i was the only anime freak around here....niiiccee!!!!

Oh btw im dlding Ninja Scroll at home...i hope it finished dlding...cant wait to watch it today!!!!

The movie? There was a series also if I remember right. I saw Kawajiri Yoshiaki's Highlander anime a few months back and thought it was quite good. It's well worth a watch if you like his style and the Highlander movie (only the first though, the rest are horrible. Christopher Lambert ftuw.)/mythology.

My favourite series has to be Ghost in the Shell. Jap, mindf**king, happiness screwing, cyberpunk at its best.

Kojima who ?

MT u havta see the Ninja Scroll movie...its the most goriest anime i hv ever seen till now..n its got some hot scenes aswell... :D Awesome bloody gruesome fights...Damn it reminds me of Ninja Gaiden 2... just check it out..

hey can you suggest me something similar to GANTZ.. some scifi anime with a different take ..

Believe it or not, the running theme for The World Ends With You for the DS comes pretty close to what GANTZ is all about. There are still some stark contrasts hither and thither, but otherwise if you have a DS and enjoy a good Action RPG - its a must-buy. A manga also seems to be in the works for English translation.

As for myself, I've seen and read more than a hundred series over the last decade or so. Everything from Angel Cop to Zendaman, I think I'll never tire of Japanese animation. However, I'm not particularly passionate with it as I am with gaming, so I hardly ever goto message boards and talk about any particular series. Recommendations are good and all, but it's ultimately upto you on what you like and if you're willing to adjust yourself to the various idiosyncrasies that a lot of series carry either before or after translation.

ps Soul Eater is awesome

I just watched Akira....holy God...i cant believe it was made in 1987...its just unbelievable...

N that testuo guy was a playable character in Kof 2001 n Kof 2002...n he is one of my favourites...damn that player is so identical to tetsuo...im still in a shock... wow jst wow...

• Heaven Angel changed the title to The Anime and Manga thread