Gameloft shutdown its Hyd office

hi people.

we share about outstation offices getting shutdown and worried about games we are not going to get ..same thing happen today in Hyd

yes it really happened and i wont be posting any link bcz no one will cover this.

gameloft hyd " where i learned everything about gaming "and made new friends of this industry.Closed its office today under 1 day notice.

Its just a simple story ,gameloft HQ decided to close india office and today India office (Hyd) was shutdown under 1 day notice and each staff over 400 people was asked to leave office and not to come from tommorow bcz HQ felt.

Just to mention in india we do quality testing for handheld games which are used majorily across World .

Lot of people in india from gaming industry who use to bring quality games to us are jobless now.

Majorily testers and developers who are freshers from this industry has to start fresh search for there living.

i Just pray they get good job ..

hope people will avoid my english on this and will comment some thing more suitable.

and yeah i am waiting for some special comment from some special guy who knew about this all long...Sir i believe now u will comment

That's sad :(/>

I thought they were doing pretty good. Is it true that the employees were asked to sign a form stating that they were resigning voluntarily due to personal problems??

Anyone hit by the layoff can conatct me.

Jobs at Ubisoft Pune

1. Junior Score Designer

2. Associate Producer

3. Intern 2D Artist

4. Data/ Build/ Release Engineer

5. Intern Game Designer

6. Intern - 3D Artist

7. Intern Technical Artist

8. Technical Director – Mobile Gaming

9. Senior 3D Game Artist

10.Senior Recruiter

11.Senior 3D ANIMATOR

12.C++ Game programmer

13.Senior Game Programmer - Android

Concerned persons can contact me on asad.mukri@ubisoft.com. Further details will be communicated via mail.

Two things:The comment in Gamasutra which says

"India's labor laws have their roots in the British raj and were last fully updated in the Industrial Disputes Act of 1948. They prohibit companies with more than 100 employees from making positions redundant and firing people for any cause other than criminal misconduct. An additional 45 national laws intersect or derive from the 1948 act, and about 200 state laws control the relationships between employees and employers"

this is not entirely correct here because  IT and software companies (under which Gameloft was also registered) are not covered by these laws.

Infosys/TCS fired many of its employees last year and nothing happened.

Secondly, Industry is not in that bad shape.. it is about cost cutting or saving on operating costs.. when the same work can be done in Philippines, malaysia, indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand and the cost is substantially less, companies will always prefer those locations...Remember the call center jobs shifting from US to India.. its the same reason.. Normally when a studio runs into losses or is no longer profitable is is sold but in case of companies like gamloft this solution is not vialble because when you sell studio you also sell IPs and not just man power.. here these is only man power, no buyer will ever get his hands on the IPs

At 2:00 all employees were informed of a company-wide meeting 45 minutes later, where HR and studio manager Sarang Nafdey explained the bad news.

That's IVG member Udham.

I'd like to cover this news, so anyone who worked from Gameloft and is affected by this, please PM me.

Two things:The comment in Gamasutra which says

"India's labor laws have their roots in the British raj and were last fully updated in the Industrial Disputes Act of 1948. They prohibit companies with more than 100 employees from making positions redundant and firing people for any cause other than criminal misconduct. An additional 45 national laws intersect or derive from the 1948 act, and about 200 state laws control the relationships between employees and employers"

this is not entirely correct here because IT and software companies (under which Gameloft was also registered) are not covered by these laws.

Infosys/TCS fired many of its employees last year and nothing happened.

Secondly, Industry is not in that bad shape.. it is about cost cutting or saving on operating costs.. when the same work can be done in Philippines, malaysia, indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand and the cost is substantially less, companies will always prefer those locations...Remember the call center jobs shifting from US to India.. its the same reason.. Normally when a studio runs into losses or is no longer profitable is is sold but in case of companies like gamloft this solution is not vialble because when you sell studio you also sell IPs and not just man power.. here these is only man power, no buyer will ever get his hands on the IPs

IT industry is covered by these laws too. Sadly, they ask you to join the organization as a partner instead. Read up the agreement document you signed at your job, it will list you as an associate. This is also the reason, they can give you a performance bonus and call it profit share legally.

Secondly, what you just said, describe a bad shape. Soon enough, most jobs will move to other countries, and we will have only our country as a consumer. And I don't think I need to tell you, what kind of sh*t will happen then, considering people here are practically immune to technological advances.

quick question. if you are told that you have to give your resignation or else you will be fired. what will you do?

now, if your answer is the same as those 250 employees, feel free to be sad. or else, just think how much bad this dumbassery will do to help the blatant screwing of labor laws.

Employees in India are treated like absolute sh*t. Not offering a severance package or exit clause is evil. No two ways about it. You can't treat people because of whom you've been making money all this while like drivel.

OP mentions someone knew about this for sometime. If I'd have been them, I would have tried to get the word out. Worst case what would Gameloft have done, fire me?

Honestly, I'm not too sure about how IT/Gaming companies work or if they have separate laws or not, but aren't there any ethical codes or something that the company must follow? :unsure: I understand that the company shutting down is not something that anyone can predict, but shouldn't there be clauses in the joining contract/agreement explaining what would happen if the company shuts down?

IT industry is covered by these laws too. Sadly, they ask you to join the organization as a partner instead. Read up the agreement document you signed at your job, it will list you as an associate. This is also the reason, they can give you a performance bonus and call it profit share legally.

Not entirely correct but can't debate on this for now..

Archived