Consoles v/s PC

So, I have been long thinking about setting up a PC for gaming to be connected to my TV.

The thing is, I went to Steam (as that seems to be the way most people buy PC games) and I see the prices of even 6-8 months old games still stuck at $39 or so. I thought that PC gaming was somehow supposed to be cheaper but this does not seem to appear so.

Can somebody please tell me:

1. What are the benefits that I may have if I buy the multiplats on the PC, I can't see the price helping me, am I doing something wrong. Is price really a deciding factor?

2. What other options do I have along with Steam?

3. What is this Steam sale you guys keep talking about, how frequent is it, how big is it, are all games on sale or only a few selected ones?

4. If I use the 360 Controller will I be able to play most (90%) games with the controller?

5. What made you move to PC for multiplats?

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

So, I have been long thinking about setting up a PC for gaming to be connected to my TV.

The thing is, I went to Steam (as that seems to be the way most people buy PC games) and I see the prices of even 6-8 months old games still stuck at $39 or so. I thought that PC gaming was somehow supposed to be cheaper but this does not seem to appear so.

1. What are the benefits that I may have if I buy the multiplats on the PC, I can't see the price helping me, am I doing something wrong. Is price really a deciding factor?

The Multiplats on PC looks quite good from console version ....some them are really easy to tell the difference .So you are actually playing same game and getting the best quality(if your pc has the config though).

Yes price to quite some extent for me atleast is deciding factor and why should it not be when you can play latest game for Rs 999 instead of Rs 2000-3000 .

There are lot of other companies also Like Origin,Ubisoft ,GOG but steam is best of them with GoG coming close but they have old games mostly.

3. What is this Steam sale you guys keep talking about, how frequent is it, how big is it, are all games on sale or only a few selected ones?

Steam is also DRm so if sales is not on steam(you can buy the game on other place and activate on steam)...other companies like amazon ,gmg etc have more than 2-3 times in a year big sales going on and it is big in a way. Latest games like tomb raider which is not yet very old is going for as low as $14 during these sales. What more can you ask?? beside in India we are lucky to have pc games going at good price.

4. If I use the 360 Controller will I be able to play most (90%) games with the controller?

Yes. These days almost every game support 360.

It is price tbh ...but other than that it is also that i get to keep my games under one umbrella -steam(i give prefence to pc games that are on steam). Since i dont have a very high end pc so i have lost the advantage of multiplats on pc. :(

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

Thanks Mohit, so you mean that I can say buy a PC game from Amazon but somehow link to is Steam even when it may be costlier on Steam than on Amazon ?

how does it work then, Does Amazon give me a key to download from Steam or a disc is shipped by Amazon?

Thanks Mohit, so you mean that I can say buy a PC game from Amazon but somehow link to is Steam even when it may be costlier on Steam than on Amazon ?

how does it work then, Does Amazon give me a key to download from Steam or a disc is shipped by Amazon?

the game needs to support Steam DRM for that. See if you plan to buy latest pc game that supports DRM why even bother with amazon steam.. just buy from retail here for Rs 999 and activate on steam ...other than that not every game are steam supported...its like 60-40 i would say.

I think i need to explain better....Digital games on amazon are also available to buy and if they support steam then yes you can buy from them and activate on steam here and download.

for most parts, yes. They can stretch to mid one thousands but never exceed the console prices. Steam has crazy sales on certain periods- holidays, fall, summer. Like really really cheap prices. Go browse through the Steam thread here to see multiple orgasms on reveal of such prices.

hmm ok, so the games that are released on PC simultaneously are like 999 only?

http://www.flipkart.com/gaming/pc?_pop=flyout&otracker=hp_submenu_new_game_Games_PC

Just check out here for upcoming games and above link for already available

http://www.flipkart.com/games/~pre-order/pr?p%5B%5D=facets.platform%255B%255D%3DPC&p%5B%5D=sort%3Dpopularity&sid=4rr%2Ctg9&otracker=ch_vn_gamingcons_filter_PC%20Speciality%20Stores

almost all of them are available for Rs 999 and some of them are steam supported as well.

^^ Steam isn't a DRM. CEG, a part of Steam, is the DRM.

When you download a CEG-protected game from Steam, you get two components. Most of the game is exactly like the one you got without CEG, the data, graphics and sound are the same files. The executable itself, usually only a few MB in size is different, and that is where the magic is. As the name may hint at, each executable is encrypted uniquely and keyed to your steam account. Only your account can decrypt the code and run the game. You can copy it between computers to your heart's content, but only when you are logged into Steam will it pull the key down. If someone else logs in to Steam, they will need to download a few MB of executable to get things going, not download a completely new copy.

Now coming to pricing - Steam follows regional pricing, albeit Valve doesn't see India as a seperate region so we have to follow US pricing. But being in India has further advatanges for PC gamers as you get gamers here for cheap. Typically 999 Rs pricing with EA games ranging upto 1499 'on release'.

Benefits

• You''ll get best looking games fully customizable according to your hardware, with a variety of official and non-offical settings/tweakings. A mid-high range card can play games on 1080p - 60FPS mark with high/ultra settings.

• Nowadays STEAM = PC gaming, almost all titles are released on Valve's platform. There is Ubisoft's uPlay as well(required for games developed by Ubisoft), but if you buy games on Steam then uPlay will be attached directly to it, ultimately facilitating as a launcher for Achievements/MP matchmaking. There is EA's origin as well(used for EA games).

Now regarding your doubt for Steam prices - Steam conducts sales almost everyday. You get a daily deal 365 days. Then there are midweek madness ( two-three games/ franchises for sale), weekend deals. You also get to play games free sometimes. As righjt now, you can play Civilsation 5, and Saints Row 3. Both are 75% off.

Then there sale fests - summer sale (weeks sales with shitload of games), winter sale etc,...

Since PC is an open platform, there are many other digital distributors - GMG, Amazon, Gamersgate etc. Then there is humble bundle as well, which gives you bundles having whole developers collection starting at 1$ ONLY. You can divide the money between Charity, humble bundle and developers.

Recently, Steam has introduced BIG PICTURE MODE, which lets you play games with the ease of a controller. It also gives you option of Starting this mode right when your PC boots up.

Not to forget Modding community is what makes PC gaming actually PC gaming.

I see the prices of even 6-8 months old games still stuck at $39 or so. I thought that PC gaming was somehow supposed to be cheaper but this does not seem to appear so.

You are looking at wrong place. Buying from Steam store directly is for kids.

GMG, Steamtrades,Reddit is way to go.

For ex: Company of Heroes 2 Deluxe is $99 on Steam. You can buy it for $50 on Steamtrades or Reddit or 3rd party sites.

or you can go RETAIL! 999 a pop and all games except EA/Ubisoft can be redeemed on Steam.

Price.

Everything. From mods to community to cloud features..chat, groups, one-click invite, etc.

Not to say, you can use Steam on your TV as well. Steam Big Picture and use controller.

Daily Sale - 24 hours

Mid-Week sale - 3-4days

Weekly sale - 7 days

3rd party site sale

Summer, Winter, Halloween, developer, Publisher sale..etc! %5-90% max.

It depends on games and yes! You can play all action/adventure/rpg/sport games with controller.

(Strategy games don't support controllers)

Always been with Steam.Consoles are only for exclusive titles.

PC Gaming = Better + games are cheap.

(first config might be bit high..but you can get decent PC to run all games better than consoles.)

(Remember Me 'AAA' game, got it for 649 INR)

Plus, Valve is continuously revamping Steam. Some of new features include - GameTrading ( No 2nd hand. You can conduct a trade with another user, making sure you haven't added game to your library), Trading cards, Steam workshop, Steam Greenlight ( You get to vote for the Indie games you want on Steam) Profile level system etc.,

Also for starters - Must read - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=569569

Get the retail copy of games which are available in India, most major titles for PC have a run in India and are sold for ~699/- -->1499/- ($15 -->$25). Which is the average price of a Season Pass outside India. Most of these retail copies these days have to be activated in STEAM, ORIGIN or UPlay! so you are covered.

STEAM direct purchase is more expensive as brand new titles go ~$39 -->$59.

Also, STEAM has regular sales which allow games whose boxed copies are not available in India to touch prices ranging from ~$2 -->$30 (depending on age, publisher, popularity). You can also get games from Amazon, Green Man Gaming, Humble Bundle and get STEAM codes for cheap.

Yes. Already told you the reason why you see a price disparity.

Most games either use STEAM DRM or are free of this, sites which allow you to purchase STEAM codes for games -- STEAM, Green Man Gaming, Amazon, The Humble Bundle.

DRM free games are sold by GoG.com (old games), The Humble Bundle (allows you a DRM free copy of Indie titles).

Two major ones, SUMMER and WINTER, others are --

• Halloween
  • Christmas Give-away (which gets folded into Winter)
  • Spring Sale
  • Publisher bundles

Also minor sales and flash sales occur on almost a daily basis.

Every title on STEAM has its page you can verify whether it has controller support or no and what grade of controller support does it have (BIG PICTURE mode = a console experience), partial support and no controller support.

5lno2f.jpg

2nurmvl.jpg

Indie games, Graphics, pricing and MOD support. Also, by choice of my genre I have no option but the PC.

Regular price drops and patching of games is an added advantage.

Hope this helps and happy gaming. Cheerio!

Price is cheaper if you buy games in retail or buy games in sales. Way cheaper. Your mind will be blown during sales. Also, multiplats look great, and tons of mod. Check GTA 4 topic for Iron Man IV mod. That is simply amazing. Then I am playing EA Cricket 07 now with all IPL teams and faces modded to real cricketers. It is simply amazing.

Steam is the prime digital distribution tool. Then you have Uplay from Ubisoft and Origin from EA. Then 3rd party sites like GreenManGaming, Gamersgate etc which sell Steam games. Also there is GOG which sells old games for cheap without DRM. It even sold new ones like Alan Wake, Witcher 2 DRM free. Then there are Humble Indie Bundles.

It is huge, massive. Tons of money is saved.

Yes, every game supports 360 controller now. Even Steam can be entirely operated with 360 controller in Big TV mode.

In my case, I started gaming on PC and was always gaming on PC along with console.

hmm ok, so the games that are released on PC simultaneously are like 999 only?

Depends on the publisher and which edition of the game you get.

Most retail copies in India retail between ~499/- -->999/- INR on launch, Premium editions / Collector's editions go between ~1499/- -->3499/- INR. As far as I know only EA takes ~1499/- for all its titles on launch (vanilla edition).

thanks a ton guys, this seems to be going well, Alpha will contact you when I build a PC :cheers:

Edit: If I plan to build one today for medium to high setting for most games then what budget am I looking at ? would be great if you could tell me separate for both medium and high.

Edit 2: do not need monitor

499 are may be for quite old games like 6-9 months but otherwise i dont see any game these days going for Rs 499 ( talking about AAA or even AA games) .

GTA IV launched for that price Sir.

Alpha will contact you when I build a PC :cheers:

Good copy.

thanks a ton guys, this seems to be going well, Alpha will contact you when I build a PC :cheers:

Edit: If I plan to build one today for medium to high setting for most games then what budget am I looking at ? would be great if you could tell me separate for both medium and high.

Dont skip this....if you dont have a HD monitor already coz trust me you will be missing a lot.

GTA IV launched for that price Sir.

Good copy.

And How old is GTA4??....in that case even Batman AA was launched for Rs 699 on pc. Those days are gone .

Without a monitor, target ~40,000/- -->60,000/- INR for a PC that can play games for the next three to four years on medium to high fidelity at 2K (1080p) resolution.

If you really want to pull out all chocks, then tops 80,000/- unless you want to add stuff like God-mode grade audio components (which I don't know a lot about).

And How old is GTA4??....in that case even Batman AA was launched for Rs 699 on pc. Those days are gone .

L.A. Noire also came out for the same price with all DLC's included.

I am confident Rockstar will keep this pricing trend in the near future and anyway, even if GTA V comes for ~999/- it will be a better deal than consoles hands down (shoddy porting not withstanding).

Archived