[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

Yes, I would recommend the XFX 650i. Rock solid, and OCs like crazy. But I don't get why so many people are going for quad cores. Unless you are doing some heavy rendering, or encoding HD movies, there is no use in buying quad cores. You can get an E6750 5k cheaper, and gaming performance is the same as quad core. You can probably OC it better as well on stock cooling. Save the 5k, spend more on the GFX card, better PSU, or a bigger hard drive.

But im not getting a new computer for 3-4 years after this and i cant change the processor so i might as well get the newest 1 and i can upgrade the rest when i need to.

Wouldn't it be better to upgrade the processor when needed? I change my processor almost every 6 months. Even with this processor, it's going to get obsolete withing 2 months. It's always better to buy the 'mid range' processor of each generation (which lasts about 5-6 months), which cost not more than 7k. Just my 2 cents..

I got a 2.4 core 2 duo.

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/artic...&cat_id=556

Building a PC under 20K Version: 10.07

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ CPU - 3,000

Jetway M2A692-GDG (AMD's 690G chipset) - 3,150

Kingston 2 x 512 MB DDR2 667 MHz Memory - 1,500 (Suggest you opt for 2GB + 1,500)

VIP ATX Cabinet with 300 Watts SMPS - 1,250

Seagate Barracuda 250 GB SATA Hard Disk - 2,900

Samsung SyncMaster 793S Monitor - 4,500

ATI x1250 onboard Graphics - Onboard

Lite-On 20X DVD Writer - 1,500

Onboard Azalia HD 8-channel audio - Onboard

Artis S500 2.1 Channel Speakers - 1,300 (Nahh, get headphones instead)

Logitech Spill-resistant Standard Keyboard - 300

Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse - 400

Onboard LAN - Onboard

--------------------

Total: Rs. 19,800

Not a bad rig, pop in a 8600GT (+ 7-8k) and you can play Crysis (the demo is out, woohooo!) at 1024x768 (medium image quality) comfortably!

V

That sounds pretty good. Go for the 2gb ram, you wont regret it. As for the speaker, if your into music go for them, otherwise normal speakers would be good enough and you'll save 800 bucks. How many inches is the monitor?

Guys i'm also planning to buy a pc very soon and wanted to know how much i can get out of my existing rig and add that money to buy the new one.

Current rig (3 yrs old):

Mobo: Intel 915GAV

CPU : PIV 3.2 Ghz HT

Graphics : Nvidia XFX 7600GT (256MB) PCI-E

2 Seagate SATA 160 GB + 80 GB HDDs

Sony DVD Writer

RAM : 2 x 512MB Hyunix

New rig :

Intel 3 Ghz Core2 quad

Mobo: MSI 975 PLATINUM or ASUS P5N32 E SLI

Western Digital 2x500 GB SATA II

Graphics : 8800 GTX PCI-Ex (if the price comes down to a reasonable level)

RAM : 2 x 1 GB DDR2 (667 Mhz) Corsair

LiteOne dvd writer

Monitor : already have a 17" Samsung Syncmaster 173p

Sound Card : going to re-use my old Creative SBLive! 24.

Edited by MightySkate

Guys i'm also planning to buy a pc very soon and wanted to know how much i can get out of my existing rig and add that money to buy the new one.

New rig :

Intel 3 Ghz Core2 quad

Mobo: MSI 975 PLATINUM or ASUS P5N32 E SLI

Western Digital 2x500 GB SATA II

Graphics : 8800 GTX PCI-Ex (if the price comes down to a reasonable level)

RAM : 2 x 1 GB DDR2 (667 Mhz) Corsair

LiteOne dvd writer

Monitor : already have a 17" Samsung Syncmaster 173p

Sound Card : going to re-use my old Creative SBLive! 24.

Avoid the ASUS P5N32-E SLI at all costs. Severely burnt my fingers with that MoFo MoBo :wallbash:

An 8800GTX with a 17 inch monitor? Overkill don't you think..

If it's a WS monitor, then the maximum resolution it's going to be able to handle is 1440 x 900....an 8800 GTX isn't necessary for that. An 8800 GT should be enough. It should land here for around 15k.

If you're talking about 20"+ monitors, then maybe an 8800 GTX would make sense.

^ yup great advice - you'll mostly be gaming at 10x7 on a 17" screen - at that resolution, a mainstream graphics card would suffice (fcuk crysis, that game needs a 2009 rig to enjoy it and we're still stuck in 2007)

V

^ maybe its better to purchase a 8600gts today (pretty affordable) and switch to another mainstream consumer graphics card 9months down the line - that would also offer acceptable levels of gaming for 18-20months at almost the same price :wallbash:

V

I heard that people with quad cores and 8800GTXs had trouble with Crysis and all that. Looks like that game's gonna need some serious horsepower to run at everything maxed out. :wallbash:

^ maybe its better to purchase a 8600gts today (pretty affordable) and switch to another mainstream consumer graphics card 9months down the line - that would also offer acceptable levels of gaming for 18-20months at almost the same price

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. And besides, the next gen mid range cards will probably be more feature rich too. And MightySkate, have you thought about the power supply? If you're going with a 8600GTS/8800GT, then a Corsair 550 Watts should do well. I don't know how much power the GTX consumes though, if you're going through with that.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. Appreciate it. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for issues Crysis has with quad cores once the game reaches the masses. Like you guys said, maybe the 17" won't do it justice and might go for a Dell 22" WD and budget won't be an issue. Since i'm planning to upgrade by mid-nov or sometime in dec i'll keep track of Nvidia's future cards and the whole processor/mobo news.

But i'm definitely looking forward to Crysis and Alan Wake next year :)

Edited by MightySkate

^^ 8 cores ?? I heard about multiple cores requirement for Alan Wake as it is rumoured to use one particular core entirely for the game physics. But from the numerous delays and the absence of any sort of news till date, I doubt if this game would ever make it to the market !

I really hope I'm wrong....the game looks awesome and would love to play it !

^^My bad.

Here is a quote from Wiki:

Alan Wake was demonstrated at the Intel Developer Forum in September 2006, running on an Intel Core 2 Quad processor clocked at 3.73 GHz. The demonstration took the form of a tech demo, showcasing engine features such as day/night cycle, volumetric light, weather and physics. It was revealed that the game engine is multi-threaded and able to make full use of all four cores, with separate threads for physics, graphics & sound processing and seamless streaming of world data. It is therefore likely that the Xbox 360 version will also utilize all of the Xenon CPU's three cores which have a total of six threads.

LINK

^^My bad.

Here is a quote from Wiki:

Alan Wake was demonstrated at the Intel Developer Forum in September 2006, running on an Intel Core 2 Quad processor clocked at 3.73 GHz.

LINK

The date is of relevance. There has been little made public since then. It should be released net year around April-May.