[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

Change the motherboard to the GIGABYTE B250M-D3H (DS3H is a cheaper model). Rest all is good. You can cut down on RAM and go with Kingston HyperX Fury kits.

Okay thanks . This is a mini atx board right ? what option do i have if i want full atx-board ?

Wouldn't mind if i5 had 8 threads. 4/4 is the problem. though I doubt Ryzen 5 will beat it with all its "optimization" issue. if gaming is a priority i5 might be the better option. Ryzen 7 weren't that good (there i said it!). They say Ryzen 5 will be THE gaming CPU but only time will tell. I'm personally interested in the Ryzen 5 1500X. But I have a small nitpick. I want a good preferably mid-high end RoG-level micro-ATX board which Ryzen doesn't have.

How much does the i5 7500 cost? if its not huge (~1-1.5k) get that instead. SSD price is fine to me.

CPU+board 2-3k. No point buying them. Too old.

i5 7500 was available for 16k. Not worth 2k IMO .

But I have a small nitpick. I want a good preferably mid-high end RoG-level micro-ATX board which Ryzen doesn't have.

Check this out, not as funky as a RoG board but capable little bugger.

Also, I find the not good enough for gaming factor a non-entity because even if you say it performs worse than the Intel Core i7 7700k, it manages to deliver more consistent frame times while streaming (recording) and saying that playing at ~110 frames is worse than ~140 frames is a bit of a fallacy unless you are the absolute best competitive player who needs frame rates over ~165 at all times or they will suffer.

i5 7500 was available for 16k. Not worth 2k IMO .

Since you cannot over-clock, that price difference makes sense because if you think it through Intel processors rely exclusively on high clock speed to get the IPC advantage. So getting the fastest piece possible for yourself is the best bet.

For your motherboard query, get the GIGABYTE B250-HD3 in-case you want a full size board.

Don't see why anyone should buy i5-7500 for 16k. R5 1600 is way better option. Most people don't upgrade cpu for atleast 5 years so R5 1600 is the logical choice.

I5-6500 for 14k? That's a bit better but again R5 1400 for 12k is better long term option.

Don't see why anyone should buy i5-7500 for 16k. R5 1600 is way better option. Most people don't upgrade cpu for atleast 5 years so R5 1600 is the logical choice.

I5-6500 for 14k? That's a bit better but again R5 1400 for 12k is better long term option.

where did you come across R5 benchmarks, before making this judgement call ?

Two 1tb blue of each? Or can I go for single 2tb instead?

Single 2TB is a slower unit.

where did you come across R5 benchmarks, before making this judgement call ?

It is not hard to extrapolate results from available Ryzen 7 data comparative to Intel Core i7 / Core i5.

Whats the minimum specs I should look at for video production. Main software I'll be working with is After Effects and Premiere Pro. Some work will also involve Nuendo for audio. At the moment I'll be leaving out the graphics card since my funds will need to be diverted elsewhere. I'll be setting up within the next 2 months.

Edited by Walker

Check this out. Looks like R5 is basically an R7 with locked cores. So same single core performance for gaming.

Does it matter?

Gaming performance although not the best, is not absolutely terrible. And the extra cores will come handy when you do tasks like gaming and video-recording / streaming.

Overall, if you are going to lose a tops of ~20fps in games, while gaining everywhere else (more cores, over-clocking), more efficient µ-arch, stable AM4 based platform for prices which are comparable if not better than Intel's unlocked multiplier designs, why the hell not?

Whats the minimum specs I should look at for video production. Main software I'll be working with is After Effects and Premiere Pro. Some work will also involve Nuendo for audio. At the moment I'll be leaving out the graphics card since my funds will need to be diverted elsewhere. I'll be setting up within the next 2 months.

If you are waiting, lets see how Ryzen 5 parts scale compared to Ryzen 7 and Intel's Core i7 platform.

I would suggest you look into investing in a half-decent GPU as well because plug-ins for After Effects and Premier Pro can be offloaded onto the GPU instead of being dependent on the CPU.

Either way, for now, patience.

Edited by ALPHA17
  • Like 1

Check this out, not as funky as a RoG board but capable little bugger.

Also, I find the not good enough for gaming factor a non-entity because even if you say it performs worse than the Intel Core i7 7700k, it manages to deliver more consistent frame times while streaming (recording) and saying that playing at ~110 frames is worse than ~140 frames is a bit of a fallacy unless you are the absolute best competitive player who needs frame rates over ~165 at all times or they will suffer.

Since you cannot over-clock, that price difference makes sense because if you think it through Intel processors rely exclusively on high clock speed to get the IPC advantage. So getting the fastest piece possible for yourself is the best bet.

For your motherboard query, get the GIGABYTE B250-HD3 in-case you want a full size board.

If i select msi b250m mortar arctic instead of gigabyte b250m d2h , is it still good . Asking because i am really liking the look of the msi mobo .

If you are waiting, lets see how Ryzen 5 parts scale compared to Ryzen 7 and Intel's Core i7 platform.

I would suggest you look into investing in a half-decent GPU as well because plug-ins for After Effects and Premier Pro can be offloaded onto the GPU instead of being dependent on the CPU.

Either way, for now, patience.

Cool. What would you suggest for the GPU. I'll be picking that upto 2-3 months after the PC simply this is more of a hobby/part time work thing. Call it testing the waters for now.

If i select msi b250m mortar arctic instead of gigabyte b250m d2h , is it still good . Asking because i am really liking the look of the msi mobo .

Yeah! No problems with that.

Cool. What would you suggest for the GPU. I'll be picking that upto 2-3 months after the PC simply this is more of a hobby/part time work thing. Call it testing the waters for now.

Depending on the situation in that time, a GTX 1050Ti or AMD RX 470 equivalent card.

• Like 2

Two 1tb blue of each? Or can I go for single 2tb instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just a note, there are two kinds of WD Blues with different RPM's. Get the one with 7200RPM. Should have model number code "EZEX" in it. The other one is a slower unit.

Just a note, there are two kinds of WD Blues with different RPM's. Get the one with 7200RPM. Should have model number code "EZEX" in it. The other one is a slower unit.

Yeah I was aware of that. Also the other in the 5k something rpm seems to be of the stopped green units just changed to blue.

I did buy the 7200rpm models only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As far as I am aware, 1TB variants of the Blue drives are all 7200RPM and anything over that is ~5400RPM.

When is amd Bristol ridge apu supposed to launch? I don't see it available anywhere for purchase.

Good luck finding anything recent from AMD in the laptop space here.

Good luck finding anything recent from AMD in the laptop space here.

Yeah i don't understand why that is? considering how much amd has hyped its mobile apu changing the laptop landscape. Even the desktop apu market seems dead. Bristol ridge desktop apu a10-9800,a8-9600, a6-9500 are good options for people looking to build office pc/basic home pc but amd has not yet officially launched it anywhere.

efe110b320e2a01b1277067645e72cf0.jpg

Edited by mohit9206