[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

2 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Yes, in windows you can just change settings to display it only on your monitor, then again in settings somewhere change the setting where it puts laptop to sleep on lid close, so you can close your laptop and keep it aside while you work

Sounds good. 10K is good price I guess, and that Acer monitor looks decent too. Slim bezels and all that jazz. 

Any other recommendations? Why Benq over Acer? Also does the refresh rate really matter? I didn't bother much playing on my TV before, and my TV was rated at 60Hz. Ideally though with the PS4, it should be fine I think. 

Is 27 inch too big?

Just now, Chirag2001 said:

Sounds good. 10K is good price I guess, and that Acer monitor looks decent too. Slim bezels and all that jazz. 

Any other recommendations? Why Benq over Acer? Also does the refresh rate really matter? I didn't bother much playing on my TV before, and my TV was rated at 60Hz. Ideally though with the PS4, it should be fine I think. 

Is 27 inch too big?

27-24 inch is best, 32inch and above is too big.

Refresh rate doesn't matter, atleast not for consoles now, most PC games at fancy settings will still be 60-80fps only.

The Benq one seemed VFM( 12K for 24 inch ), and used to sell like hotcakes on amazon before corona boogaloo happened.

https://www.amazon.in/Acer-EB321HQ-32-inch-Monitor-Black/dp/B07X27BHK9/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=27%2Binch%2Bmonitor&qid=1595181232&s=computers&sr=1-6&th=1

Another 24 inch from Acer. This is really confusing now.

Is there even a difference lol

The Benq 24 inch is pretty popular, more reviews on Amazon than the Acer one, probably meaning more sales as well. Also comes with keyboard and mouse bundled I think, which is a sweet deal. 

Any idea if its been OOS for a while now, or is it just today and could pop in anytime so I should wait? @PhantomShade

Sorry to bother you man, but you seem quite knowledgeable about this stuff.

Edited by Chirag2001

1 minute ago, PhantomShade said:

27-24 inch is best, 32inch and above is too big.

Refresh rate doesn't matter, atleast not for consoles now, most PC games at fancy settings will still be 60-80fps only.

The Benq one seemed VFM( 12K for 24 inch ), and used to sell like hotcakes on amazon before corona boogaloo happened.

Both Acer monitors I sent are like 24 inch for 11K.

I'll go with 24 inch, unless blowing another 4K for 27 inch is worth it. 

9 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

https://www.amazon.in/Acer-EB321HQ-32-inch-Monitor-Black/dp/B07X27BHK9/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=27%2Binch%2Bmonitor&qid=1595181232&s=computers&sr=1-6&th=1

Another 24 inch from Acer. This is really confusing now.

Is there even a difference lol

The Benq 24 inch is pretty popular, more reviews on Amazon than the Acer one, probably meaning more sales as well. Also comes with keyboard and mouse bundled I think, which is a sweet deal. 

Any idea if its been OOS for a while now, or is it just today and could pop in anytime so I should wait? @PhantomShade

Sorry to bother you man, but you seem quite knowledgeable about this stuff.

idk, i'm checking it after a long time only today. :lol:

but 2-3 months ago when i used to check regularly, it used to go out of stock and replenished in 2-3 days :rofl: , that's how much it was selling.

3 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

idk, i'm checking it after a long time only today. :lol:

but 2-3 months ago when i used to check regularly, it used to go out of stock and replenished in 2-3 days :rofl: , that's how much it was selling.

Okay then I'll wait for a bit. Unless the Acer monitor is a better buy.

By then I hope to get the Amazon Pay ICICI card as well, 5% cashback would be nice to get.

7 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Both Acer monitors I sent are like 24 inch for 11K.

I'll go with 24 inch, unless blowing another 4K for 27 inch is worth it. 

I'm assuming you'll not be more than 3 feet from the monitor anyway so 24 inch should be fine. I used the Benq GL2480HM with my laptop for work and ps4 till about 2 years back before switching to full desktop. 

To close the laptop lid and continue work only on the monitor go to setings>power&sleep>additional power settings>choose what closing the lid does and change the selection to Do Nothing.

My Benq still does work on my wife's PC. Oh yeah the built in speakers are sh*t so don't expect anything from them.

Just now, Walker said:

I'm assuming you'll not be more than 3 feet from the monitor anyway so 24 inch should be fine. I used the Benq GL2480HM with my laptop for work and ps4 till about 2 years back before switching to full desktop. 

To close the laptop lid and continue work only on the monitor go to setings>power&sleep>additional power settings>choose what closing the lid does and change the selection to Do Nothing.

My Benq still does work on my wife's PC. Oh yeah the built in speakers are sh*t so don't expect anything from them.

Don't need mind blowing speakers. Just that I have an online sem ahead of me, so I need speakers to tune into the video lessons thats all. Can it not even handle that? 

Don't wish to get a wired speaker setup. I use headphones a lot, but its nice to use speakers as well thats all.

I'm not going to sitting more than 3ft away, so I'll go 24 inch. The Benq one you both mentioned sounds good enough but its not in stock, but I hope it'll be back.

I was thinking of going the Acer route, but Benq has more feedback as I can see.

Just now, Chirag2001 said:

Don't need mind blowing speakers. Just that I have an online sem ahead of me, so I need speakers to tune into the video lessons thats all. Can it not even handle that? 

Don't wish to get a wired speaker setup. I use headphones a lot, but its nice to use speakers as well thats all.

I'm not going to sitting more than 3ft away, so I'll go 24 inch. The Benq one you both mentioned sounds good enough but its not in stock, but I hope it'll be back.

I was thinking of going the Acer route, but Benq has more feedback as I can see.

Honestly it was hard to follow anything on the inbuilt speakers. Volume was really low and everything was indistinct. So I just plugged my headphones into the monitor or DS4 instead. I would never advertise the speakers on that thing.

1 minute ago, Walker said:

Honestly it was hard to follow anything on the inbuilt speakers. Volume was really low and everything was indistinct. So I just plugged my headphones into the monitor or DS4 instead. I would never advertise the speakers on that thing.

I see. The monitor itself has a headphone jack? On the bottom/side I presume? That would be nice to have.

Or is it on the back? Maybe I could connect external speakers via the 3.5mm AUX cable then? 

https://www.flipkart.com/benq-24-inch-full-hd-led-backlit-ips-panel-monitor-gw2480/p/itm1f8ae136d52c5#:~:text=Panel Monitor (GW2480)-,BenQ 24 inch Full HD LED Backlit IPS Panel Monitor,₹12%2C750

@PhantomShade @Walker This one? Its 8K on Flipkart, but Out of Stock. If it goes live at this price, I'll just buy it. 

People in the reviews say they bought it for 8500/-

Hope I can get for that price on either Amazon/FK as its OOS on both of them right now

Edited by Chirag2001

5 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

https://www.flipkart.com/benq-24-inch-full-hd-led-backlit-ips-panel-monitor-gw2480/p/itm1f8ae136d52c5#:~:text=Panel Monitor (GW2480)-,BenQ 24 inch Full HD LED Backlit IPS Panel Monitor,₹12%2C750

@PhantomShade @Walker This one? Its 8K on Flipkart, but Out of Stock. If it goes live at this price, I'll just buy it. 

People in the reviews say they bought it for 8500/-

Hope I can get for that price on either Amazon/FK as its OOS on both of them right now

This one came out soon after I bought mine I think. All the I/O ports are on the back, facing down, just behind the bezel on mine. Not sure about this one though. I had got mine for 12k way back in 2016 iirc.

19 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

I see. The monitor itself has a headphone jack? On the bottom/side I presume? That would be nice to have.

Or is it on the back? Maybe I could connect external speakers via the 3.5mm AUX cable then? 

It has bottom facing ports, and inbuilt power-supply so no brick.

btw i've noticed this, inbuilt power supply in monitor == ports downwards, power brick monitor == ports on the back, in the open.

imo best option is getting the Benq one and connecting external speakers to it using 3.5mm jack, inbuilt monitor speakers are mostly garbage, not like inbuilt speakers you find in TV, Laptop or even Smartphone.

@PhantomShade Yeah opened up some old desktop speakers, fingers crossed they work.

But the monitor is out of stock everywhere. 8K or even 9K is a pretty good price, but the reviewers say they bough it for that much so inclined to believe.

Hopefully comes back in stock and I can make the purchase

Looking to upgrade from my core i5 3450 to something newer.

Budget of 35k for the processor, mobo, and RAM. Will reuse most of the other components like SSD etc from existing build.

Suggestions pls. Don't plan to overclock it. Usage will be general computer usage and light gaming (already have a 1650 gfx).

Common consensus seems to be a Ryzen 5 3600/2700 paired with a b450/550 motherboard and 16GB (8x2) DDR4 3200Mhz RAM.  

40 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Looking to upgrade from my core i5 3450 to something newer.

Budget of 35k for the processor, mobo, and RAM. Will reuse most of the other components like SSD etc from existing build.

Suggestions pls. Don't plan to overclock it. Usage will be general computer usage and light gaming (already have a 1650 gfx).

Common consensus seems to be a Ryzen 5 3600/2700 paired with a b450/550 motherboard and 16GB (8x2) DDR4 3200Mhz RAM.  

wait for 2-3 months for prices to return from the stratosphere and more mobos and ram sticks to become in-stock.

currently prices are inflated, and all the good items are OOS, also get a B550 mobo, and Ryzen 3600 or 3700X, 2700 is a waste in 2020

I was looking at an Asus B550 TUF motherboard, but that went OOS. :/ , now you have all shitty boards i guess.

https://www.amazon.in/BenQ-EW2480-Brightness-Intelligence-Flicker-free/dp/B07YSVNJVG/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=benq+24+inch&qid=1595416312&sr=8-2

The Benq monitor is back in stock. Its almost 13K on Amazon, wondering if I go for it. Seller is Appario so should be fine.

Although this is not the GW2480 model, this is EW2480. Any difference? Would appreciate any and all recommendations/tips as I wanna go for it today itself. 

Gave Cost to Cost a call, they have the GW2480 for 10K.

Don't wanna step out again, today was my first day outside after 4 months, but will go get it tomorrow I guess. 

Their price sheet online mentions GW2480 at 8K and GW2480 T for 10K. But that sheet is from March, so I guess whatever price I heard on call is the current rate. 

• Like 1