The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

Looking to buy a phone for my Mom. Budget is around 10-11k can extend a bit. Its for normal usage. Just some games like candy crush, regular WhatsApp usage etc. Phone screen size can be from 4.7-5".

Any suggestions? Also, not interested in OPPO, Vivo so something other than those.

Can't think of anything other than Redmi 4

Man, my driver went out and bought the Samsung J7 for almost 18k. I was like you should have told me, I'd have found you something good for that price range. The performance is not so good off the few minutes I've used it, screen I've found bad for the price. I think there are much better phones out there for the price range. I also happened to check the performance scores later and it falls in the same league as 10k Xiaomi phones. 

Not impressed at all. 

1 hour ago, sweetvar26 said:

Man, my driver went out and bought the Samsung J7 for almost 18k. I was like you should have told me, I'd have found you something good for that price range. The performance is not so good off the few minutes I've used it, screen I've found bad for the price. I think there are much better phones out there for the price range. I also happened to check the performance scores later and it falls in the same league as 10k Xiaomi phones. 

Not impressed at all. 

Samsung,Oppo,Vivo,etc rely on clueless people like your driver.

On 19/11/2017 at 10:30 AM, Agent 47 said:

Any suggestions? Also, not interested in OPPO, Vivo so something other than those.

NOKIA 5 or the MOTO G5. 

On 19/11/2017 at 5:01 PM, sweetvar26 said:

Not impressed at all. 

You do realise your expectation is from the PoV of a much discerning user vis-à-vis his requirements of a big-screen, not really bothered by colour accuracy and other fundaments and is not going to be benchmarking his device against competitors as long as he knows he can get it repaired for cheap on the side. 

On 19/11/2017 at 6:21 PM, mohit9206 said:

Samsung,Oppo,Vivo,etc rely on clueless people like your driver.

They ship products that adhere to the trends and requirements. 

Nothing really wrong with that and the company growth and market dominance show that this is working in their favour. 

On 19/11/2017 at 0:27 PM, Agent 47 said:

I was checking the same phone out. Btw is the phone good? 

The device, in general, is good, UI is what puts me off from Chinese devices. That and the utter lack of any company or community support. 

Edited by ALPHA17

35 minutes ago, ALPHA17 said:

NOKIA 5 or the MOTO G5. 

You do realise your expectation is from the PoV of a much discerning user vis-à-vis his requirements of a big-screen, not really bothered by colour accuracy and other fundaments and is not going to be benchmarking his device against competitors as long as he knows he can get it repaired for cheap on the side. 

They ship products that adhere to the trends and requirements. 

Nothing really wrong with that and the company growth and market dominance show that this is working in their favour. 

The device, in general, is good, UI is what puts me off from Chinese devices. That and the utter lack of any company or community support. 

What more support you need other than 4 years of regular updates?

Just now, mohit9206 said:

What more support you need other than 4 years of regular updates?

No company does that. Also, MIUI update does not entail a move to the newest version of Android, so that argument is facetious. Finally, if you are so confident in the company, why have you not purchased a device from them? 

2 minutes ago, ALPHA17 said:

No company does that. Also, MIUI update does not entail a move to the newest version of Android, so that argument is facetious. Finally, if you are so confident in the company, why have you not purchased a device from them? 

My next phone has a good chance of being a xiomi.For two main reasons-battery life and value for money.

59 minutes ago, mohit9206 said:

My next phone has a good chance of being a xiomi.For two main reasons-battery life and value for money.

Good for you. Let me know when you decide which version of the Redmi 4 you pick up. 

^ Honestly, Xiaomi makes some of the best ones to be found. Would go for them over other brands. 

P.S. -- Merging thread with Mobile Phone thread. 

Edited by ALPHA17

Is Mi A1 good since it's on google stock and not MiUI? Talking in terms of being future proof. Comparing this to Moto G5s plus, this one feels better. I have been a moto user previously and their phones tend to slow down after some time has passed plus heating issues. No idea how their newer phones fair.

^ Only time will tell, although Xiaomi has a strong track record for updating its older handsets so I do not see why not this would be any worse. 

The camera on the Mi A1 is decent too plus USB Type-C over the MOTO G5 ranges micro-USB makes it a well-rounded purchase. 

P.S. -- HMD Global pushed Oreo for the NOKIA 8. 

^ You do know that VOOC /Dash Charge will only work with OnePlus /OPPO devices with the associated circuitry built into them. Better off to get the regular Xiaomi power banks.  

Opinion on Galaxy A5 2017? It seems to have everything. Water/dust resistance, dual sim slots, separate micro sd slot, AMOLED screen, good battery life, decent procesor and graphics, enough ram and storage, etc. I especially like two separate sim slots and dedicated micro sd slot. Price is 18k.