The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

well..that's about 5 times of what i get with Vodafone Edge. :(

looks like MTNL 3G should get me my 3G fix. it would be cool just to see the 3G symbol on the status bar :P

how much does it affect the battery, the 3G?

Edited by achilles

looks like MTNL 3G should get me my 3G fix. it would be cool just to see the 3G symbol on the status bar :P

how much does it affect the battery, the 3G?

I used my BSNL 3G sim on roaming while in Delhi on MTNL network & MTNL's 3G is teh sucketh :angry:

Maybe because I was on roaming :unsure:

More on 3G vs 2G battery life !

Well, here in the US, if I use 3G for a day, at the end my battery is at around 30%, and if I use 2G, its around 55%, with similar usage. No WiFi or any other connection type used. I didn't bother to try it again as the day I used only EDGE, it was horrible.. lol. T-Mobile G2.

aite so m getting a new phone and FINALLY upgrading from my beloved N95

i dont have any idea where the mobile phone segment has reached now in terms of new advancements and beefy features...literally no idea!

i dont know what ANDROID is nor the iOS! came through dese words whilst reading the nokia n8 review. i also read alien words like MAEMO and MEEGO dese words tell me to wait till 2011 if buying a new beefy phone...

Now, enlighten me!

My budget is 20k-30k. More like 22k-27k.

what i want-

1. awesomesauce camera for both photos and specifically video shooting(for making short films)

2. iphone like touch screen (donno wat its called, but as smooth as it is)

3. multitasking

4. superb sound quality (dont care bout the phone speakers quality tho)

5. technology should last me for 3-4 years

6. exceptional mobile web browsing experience

pls educate me on android too n wat it is basically! currently my only option is nokia n8. pls recommend equally equipped phone as the n8. thanks so much

@ aman

going by your requirements, i would strongly suggest a nokia n8. i am not a big tech geek so dont know about the nuances but having tried the phone (mom brought it last month) i can say the camera and touch screen are very very good.

12 mp camera, the flash can be better but then again i am coming after using a xenon flash in my n82 but the clarity is superb.

32 gb inbuilt memory which you can expand using cards.

i dont like touch screens but was pleasantly surprised here. the screen is very sturdy, mom is an agricultural scientist so her work involve lots of field travel, the phone looks as good as new even after fairly rough usage.

screen is big enough for a reasonable experience with the browser.

^^ The Symbian is now archaic compared to Android and IOS, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone who remotely cares about good apps.

The only good thing about the N8 is the camera, otherwise I would recommend skipping it.

If you want just a great camera phone and are not really concerned about apps, go for the N8. Symbian is still pretty functional, though rather clunky and can get on your nerves, unless you're used to Nokia smartphones like me.

There's the SE Xperia X10 if you want an android phone with a great camera. Knowing SE, their cameras almost always turn out to be pretty good. Plus it's getting/got an update to Android 2.1 and I guess you can get any android apps u want for it.

Don't about any other android based phones with excellent cams though.

@ aman

going by your requirements, i would strongly suggest a nokia n8. i am not a big tech geek so dont know about the nuances but having tried the phone (mom brought it last month) i can say the camera and touch screen are very very good.

12 mp camera, the flash can be better but then again i am coming after using a xenon flash in my n82 but the clarity is superb.

i dont like touch screens but was pleasantly surprised here. the screen is very sturdy, mom is an agricultural scientist so her work involve lots of field travel, the phone looks as good as new even after fairly rough usage.

oh thanks for that! after all that we've been through! :giggle:

hey but wait dosent the n8 use xenon flash too? :unsure:

If Camera is shut a great priority.. N8 is the only option.

But its technology won't last for 3-4 years like you are hoping for, and the mobile web browsing experience is not exceptional

No other 12mp phones in the market? :unsure: Any phone wid a 12mp camera and android compatibility? :cry:

Nokia n95 lasted me good 3 years considering that no monumental upgrade came to mobile phones till 2010...except ofcourse android...me thinks :fear:

If you want just a great camera phone and are not really concerned about apps, go for the N8. Symbian is still pretty functional, though rather clunky and can get on your nerves, unless you're used to Nokia smartphones like me.

There's the SE Xperia X10 if you want an android phone with a great camera. Knowing SE, their cameras almost always turn out to be pretty good. Plus it's getting/got an update to Android 2.1 and I guess you can get any android apps u want for it.

i dont know wat android is! and wat amount of actual utility it has... i mean is it just the interface? and wat kind of apps are we talking bout here?

i have been on a nokia n95 for 3 years nw, before that the n73. so ya m pretty comfortable with symbian nw. almost love it. :fear:

i mean i dont kno wat i hav missed out on without android...!!! can u shed sum light...

also, se xperia x10 is a 8mp cam yeah? or does it have a 12mp variant too? :unsure:

any mobile phone that has 12mp cam n is android 2.1 compatible? or any upcoming ones? i can wait 2 months not more for a new soon to be released mobile... :samui:

thanks in advance.. :)

oh thanks for that! after all that we've been through! :giggle:

hey but wait dosent the n8 use xenon flash too? :unsure:

No other 12mp phones in the market? :unsure: Any phone wid a 12mp camera and android compatibility? :cry:

Nokia n95 lasted me good 3 years considering that no monumental upgrade came to mobile phones till 2010...except ofcourse android...me thinks :fear:

i dont know wat android is! and wat amount of actual utility it has... i mean is it just the interface? and wat kind of apps are we talking bout here?

i have been on a nokia n95 for 3 years nw, before that the n73. so ya m pretty comfortable with symbian nw. almost love it. :fear:

i mean i dont kno wat i hav missed out on without android...!!! can u shed sum light...

also, se xperia x10 is a 8mp cam yeah? or does it have a 12mp variant too? :unsure:

any mobile phone that has 12mp cam n is android 2.1 compatible? or any upcoming ones? i can wait 2 months not more for a new soon to be released mobile... :samui:

thanks in advance.. :)

Dont go for android if u are comfortable with symbian.U have to regularly update ur firmware & phone becomes slow.Also,there are not many good cam phones.The only 12 MP cam phones in the market are Sony Ericson Satio & N8.Both are Symbian.The only real drawbacks in N8 are the OK web browser & the symbian interface.

It has got very good reviews & plus it costs 23k while galaxy S is 27k & dezire z is around 30k.

Check this detailed review.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n8-review-523.php

N8 is around 25k and its Symbian which really is a poor Touch Screen OS.

Don't go for Symbian right now period.

You are focusing too much on Mega Pixels, it has nothing to do with picture quality.

Try Android or Iphone atm.

Nokia is no longer the company they were back in the n95 days sadly :(

N8 is around 25k and its Symbian which really is a poor Touch Screen OS.

Don't go for Symbian right now period.

You are focusing too much on Mega Pixels, it has nothing to do with picture quality.

Try Android or Iphone atm.

Nokia is no longer the company they were back in the n95 days sadly :(

N8 is clearly the best camera phone in the market rite now.

If he is happy with symbian,then good for him.Android is good for those who like to fiddle with their phones.iOS is the best.But it will be way out of his budget unless he buys iphone 4 from Hong Kong. Symbian 3 is not poor,just dated.Its touchscreen feedback is quite good.

@ aman

If Camera is shut a great priority.. N8 is the only option.

But its technology won't last for 3-4 years like you are hoping for, and the mobile web browsing experience is not exceptional

have you guys tried the N8 camera? its not that great. in a lot of cases the iPhone 4 took better pictures. there was a bunch of us comparing so i'm not the only one saying this.

as far as the touchscreen goes, @ nemo..what were you smoking? the touch screen is horrible. it would've been alright in 2007 b4 the iPhone came out. and the fone looks just goddarn ugly!

plus symbian is dying dead. so for the next 4 years, no chance. Nokia itself has abandoned Symbian for its future N series phones. so none of their "smartphones" are gonna be on symbian from now. way to abandon the platform..just after your so called killer device is launched. what a mess.

none of the points put forth by aman are met by the N8 except the sound quality. let it die. you'll be doing him a favor by suggesting nothing. :P

Edited by achilles