The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

Symbian S40 FTW!

S60 5th edition was good. Back then it was the only true smartphone OS for phones under 10k. Nokia 5230,5800 and later N8 became big hits.

Then later Symbian Anna and Bella made the OS even better although app development had stalled by then.

After searching for a good power bank my search is going nowhere, all the sonys, syskas have bad reviews, with a prominent point that a 10k mah power bank wont give more than 5000 mah, or only a single slow charge to a 3000mah phone, i am looking for one than can provide fast charge to the note 5, preferred 12-20k mah one, since it was mentioned somewhere that any power bank provides 2000mah less than what is advertised on the box.

Service experience with Samsung.

I broke the screen of my s7 edge, and contacted Samsung service Centre via my Galaxy app. They have a pickup and drop feature. I got a message I will be contacted back, and I got a call back in 15 mins. Rep asked me the pincode and told me my area is not in the serviced area and I need to contact nearby service centre.

I gave him the pincode of my office which was serviceable so he told me someone will pick the phone the next day. Got a call early morning and phone was picked up promptly.

Got a call next day saying phone is fixed and I need to pay around 15k, told them I want to go with promotion offer of one time screen replacement for 990 rupees. They said it will take some time, as they need to get approval from Samsung and it might take 3-7 working days, quite a bummer from a near flawless experience.

Anyway contacted them after 3 days, they said that they still haven't got the approval, but as a goodwill they can deliver the phone the same day, only clause being I will have to pay 990 and I won't get any bill till they get an approval.

I was fine with it and they delivered the phone in the evening, overall very impressed.

• Like 2

Good it went well. Imagine the hassle if it was Xiomi, OnePlus, or any other Chinese brand. That's why am afraid of buying from such brands.

add Sony as well.

though not bad, but they usually take 15-20 days for replacement

i never bothered for repair thou

@Aman --> Good experience with your S7 Edge. I also had that Rs. 990 one time screen replacement but mine got broke after 18 months so it was invalid.

I had a similar problem with my S6 Edge Plus which got broke down (Backside Scratch) when it fell down from my hands at Ladakh.

Usually im that kind of a guy who doesn't like bulky covers, I always keep my mobile Naked and insured. :D

Anyway, I insured my mobile through One Assist (The Notorious Insurance Company) which costed me around 2990 and will be extended for all my future Samsung devices. I called them and explained the issue, They rejected the first time. I went to Samsung store from where I purchased and explained them, Luckily the Samsung Guy knew the one assist guys and helped me in taking the order. The pickup was quick and they gave me a standby Mobile which is Motorola (Some 10K worth Set!) and I was ok with that.

After 'n' no. of follow ups and a wait period of almost a Month, I finally got back my set. The good thing was they replaced the back palette as well as the Front Screen (Which had few rubbings & slight scrathes before)!! The phone looks like totally new!

Now I donno whether that was a good experience or Bad. Though the wait time nearly killed me but the end product received was too good. Still I would say not to go for this OneAssist insurance as I have seen many cases of Customers dissatisfaction. My case was bit quicker due to the Samsung showroom guy knew the Oneassist Agents. :D

Ya the insurance thing is a f**ckin farce.

For S7 they told me both back, front and metal frame is replaced to keep the waterproofing intact. Wish it had not broken in the first month itself, would have been good to get a new looking phone after 7-8 months, as I also keep it naked.

Liked the pickup and drop service though, atleast Samsung is trying.

what so rumored for windows surface phone?

heard its has

-5.5"

-6GB

-500Gb :blink:

-intel atom/snapdragon

-win10

definitely a next buy if that all be true

Even if it has 16gb ram and 1TB and 5.5 inch 4K display, still nobody will buy it because no apps.

Even if it has 16gb ram and 1TB and 5.5 inch 4K display, still nobody will buy it because no apps.

am not sating win 10 on mobile has apps and they out in a business for a very long time

if they do a come back and they will be back, will take time to grow in apps section

whereas, android/iphone has spent a long time in this segment and they covered majority software supports

love both OS UI and still cant deny the daily usage of many apps like google maps for example and MS might do a partnership or somethings MS put up google software in their app store

u never know.

and ideally,

MS cud put in WIn10 as it is on mobile and the softwares u using on desktop might be running on mobile like VLC,mozilla,chrome, anything u can imagine to run onto desktop will be fit iin on ur mobile, that idea is something to wait for.

Redmi note 3 doesnt have a dedicated SD slot, shares it with the SIM slot. So that is out. Wife uses the G4 plus and while its a great phone the back camera protrudes and the lens cover ended up with scratches after a few months.

Still G4 Plus might be the best bet.

@ Alpha. Is Lenovo stuff really that bad? I had heard bad things about the Zuk but is the rest of their line up shitty too?

Edited by Aftrunner

@ Alpha. Is Lenovo stuff really that bad? I had heard bad things about the Zuk but is the rest of their line up shitty too?

At-least ZUK had support in the form of CyanogenMOD community, the standard Lenovo devices do not even get that plus updates break features / leave them in a poorer state than stock.

Overall, highly negative experience, avoid them as far you can.