Persona 5

'Pranay

Had a massive 6 hour session yesterday.. Just one more day types. This has to be one of the best games ever made and there is so much to do.

Finished the third palace yesterday and Tyler you were right, the persona reveal was absolutely kickass. The only thing I haven't been quite able to fathom is the persona gullitone, is there a science to it. Also the twin warden are now asking for a real random persona which does not show up Anywhere in the gullitone. How do I go about getting that? I know I can Google it but if you can't find any way in game what's the whole point?

Just started the fourth palace and it does seem Intriguing. Will be out of town for a week after a few days, will miss the game.. Lol

Had a massive 6 hour session yesterday.. Just one more day types. This has to be one of the best games ever made and there is so much to do.

Finished the third palace yesterday and Tyler you were right, the persona reveal was absolutely kickass. The only thing I haven't been quite able to fathom is the persona gullitone, is there a science to it. Also the twin warden are now asking for a real random persona which does not show up Anywhere in the gullitone. How do I go about getting that? I know I can Google it but if you can't find any way in game what's the whole point?

Just started the fourth palace and it does seem Intriguing. Will be out of town for a week after a few days, will miss the game.. Lol

Fourth Palace is great too. Probably the best in terms of story.

Coming to your questions...

Fusion definitely has a science to it. Normal Fusion allows you to fuse two personas to create a new one. Advanced lets you fuse three personas to create an even more powerful persona. The results are always fixed. I always prefer to "filter by result" so you can see what you can craft. The general rule is that you should craft personas that are at the maximum level that you can craft and match the arcana of the Confidants you're raising. The higher the rank the more "bonus XP" you'll earn after crafting. This allows you to craft and use personas that exceed your max level. When you fuse some of the powers of the original personas will also transfer to the newly crafted one. This is usually random and ideally you should transfer powers that match the type of persona. For example personas generally fall into magic-based, physical-based or support-oriented ones. Transfer powers accordingly. Transferring a magical ability that has very low magic stats won't be as effective for example. But you can definitely do that if you wish.

Later in the game the buffs and debuffs are very useful. Raising party attack/defense and lowering enemies' attack/defense etc. is very, VERY useful and makes the later battles far easier. So always keep personas that have the "-kaja" and "-kunda" skills.

Then there's the Strengthen Persona option which you unlock later. This basically allows you to sacrifice a persona to make another one stronger. This is useful to ensure that your preferred personas remain viable and you don't end up outleveling them. You can also convert some of them to a weapon/accessory if you have the right item (the gear is marked as transmutable). The persona is lost but you'll gain a new gear item. I didn't use this even once throughout the game. I just kept buying new gear from the Airsoft shop.

And remember that every persona you capture or craft gets added to the compendium. You can re-summon it anytime from there by paying the cost. So don't worry if you lose a persona it can always be brought back.

As for why you couldn't see the persona the twins requested, you probably don't have the recipe for it. I'd say play more and capture more personas in the coming dungeons / mementos. BTW I didn't bother with maxing out the twins, the game has enough to do already.

I also highly suggest exploring mementos after every palace until you reach a dead-end. Not only will this earn you a ton of money and XP but it will prevent some headache later in the game.

Regarding fusions, if you are having doubts it is better to google. There is a science and formula to it and people have extensively researched how to get certain personas. This is not just for Persona 5 but for the entire SMT and Persona Franchises. There is a dedicated calculator site for researching the permutations and combinations of each fusion. You might not even be able to do it blindly. For example, fuse by result does not show persona you want. But you might have to fuse two personas, and then fuse the resulting persona with a third one. This new one might have to be fused with a 4th one as well (which you might have to summon from registry or fuse other 2 personas to get). You see how difficult it would be (Especially considering there are so many permutations and combinations).

Keep in mind that some personas are of a higher level and you might not be able to craft it at that point.

BTW, the twins confidant abilities are totally worth it. Later on, it unlocks solitary confinement (Calling it SC here). This will allow you to eliminate any weaknesses that your persona has. For ex., if your persona is weak to fire, SC will allow you to learn resist fire, which will save a lot of headache as enemies will not get 2nd turn. At later rank, this will get even more stronger (Absorb fire instead of resist fire for ex.). You even get the ability to fuse 4 or more personas (This is how you get the strongest personas in game). At max rank, you can fuse any persona, even if they are above your level (You do require Yen/Gold for it though).

Edited by roun90
  • Like 1

But you might have to fuse two personas, and then fuse the resulting persona with a third one. This new one might have to be fused with a 4th one as well (which you might have to summon from registry or fuse other 2 personas to get). You see how difficult it would be (Especially considering there are so many permutations and combinations).

Yeah, this is important. Forgot to mention that.

Persona fusion is very deep and maxing out the compendium is actually an entire game by itself.

Thanks guys, that is pretty much personas 101 ..lol . I aint having too much difficulty in the fights at normal and I have not really worked on my personas yet. Maybe The future creeps get stronger and I need to work on my personas. I am at level 29 right now and will now grind for a couple of hours in momentoes as I have to unlock the fortune teller confidant and get SP adhesive for 3 more members of the team.

However palace 4 has just started and I dont think any palace will take more than 3 days max to finish, so i guess I can just finish the above 2 tasks. BTW I am having great pain improving charm. Are the frui tea and the baths on monday and thursday only good ways of increasing charm? I have found a couple of books and a movie but its still increasing at a slow pace. I want to max the death confidant and i need to increase charm to get to next stage

I mainly used the bath / books / movies / frui-tea to max out charm. Most of these stats increase very slowly so don't worry too much. If you have started Ohya's Confidant link you'll get charm during those interactions as well.

Thanks guys, that is pretty much personas 101 ..lol . I aint having too much difficulty in the fights at normal and I have not really worked on my personas yet. Maybe The future creeps get stronger and I need to work on my personas. I am at level 29 right now and will now grind for a couple of hours in momentoes as I have to unlock the fortune teller confidant and get SP adhesive for 3 more members of the team.

However palace 4 has just started and I dont think any palace will take more than 3 days max to finish, so i guess I can just finish the above 2 tasks. BTW I am having great pain improving charm. Are the frui tea and the baths on monday and thursday only good ways of increasing charm? I have found a couple of books and a movie but its still increasing at a slow pace. I want to max the death confidant and i need to increase charm to get to next stage

The Devil Confidant (Ohya/The Reporter) is an excellent way to raise charm. Every rank with her will give 3 points towards charm.

Also, just a tip, but whenever you are trying to improve any social stat, always use the luck reading from Fortune Teller. 1 point towards a stat will become 2 points. Similarly if someone/something is giving 3 points towards a stat, it will actually give 4 (Although you will only see 3 musical notes). Using this speeds up your social stat increase exponentially, and you will see rank increase very rapidly..

Apart from the charm gains Ohya is actually one of the weaker Confidants when it comes to her unlocks. The palace alarm levels are never a concern in the entire game.

That said, she has a pretty good storyline and I liked interacting with her and Lala Escargot at the bar.

Also, working at the bar is probably the best job in the game.

PS: Have you unlocked Hifumi (the Shogi player) as a Confidant yet? Her unlocks are some of the most useful as far as combat goes. And her story is one of my favorite Confidant stories in the game with a really unexpected ending.

Edited by Tyler

Yeah Kawakami's abilities are the most useful for getting the most out of your time. Even the classroom slacking/laundry/coffee/crafting unlocks are very useful in saving time. Creepy implications aside she's the best Confidant in terms of utility.

Mishima's XP unlocks are great but he's a loser lol. Ending spoiler...

That scene of him handing out flyers claiming the MC is his "best friend"... WTF dude! what made you think that?

http://www.personaproblems.com

Persona 5 is out in English, and it's arrived with a shower of praise from critics and fans alike. This should come as little surprise to anyone who played the game in Japanese. It's brilliant and innovative, and very fun.

But, there's a problem: the translation is riddled with errors.

That's not to say it's unreadable, or completely without merit. But for a massive RPG from a highly successful franchise, it falls incredibly short of the standard it should be held to. A video game is a professional work, no different from any other form of media. Yet no other form of media would ever get away with the number of errors found in Persona 5's English script.

I read through that site earlier when the game came out. It's only a problem if you're super-nitpicky about translations, I didn't notice 90% of the things they pointed out while playing.

I read through that site earlier when the game came out. It's only a problem if you're super-nitpicky about translations, I didn't notice 90% of the things they pointed out while playing.

This is their take on this point

The default response is often defensiveness: those mistakes aren't serious, or they don't exist at all.

If this instinct ever grabs you, just remember: it's entirely possible to enjoy translated media and still demand that publishers do better. Because the work deserves it, and so do we.

Also, they raise other valid concerns like some voiced lines are not subbed and there are untranslated images/video :

untranslated.png

What they are complaining about might come across to many as 'asking too much' but in the end, we all should strive to improve things as much as possible. :)

I disagree. Those anime cutscene news announcements barely last a couple of seconds. And what is spoken by the announcer is in clear English.

I like the fact that the news background is in Japanese. Some minor things should not be translated. The setting is in Tokyo, Japan and if every minor thing is translated, the authenticity of the location will be lost. It will then be no different than any fictional American/English city.

For ex., in Uncharted 2 a lot of signs were in Nepali. Tenzin spoke exclusively in Nepali without any subs. People (including me) loved it, since it added authenticity even though we could not understand what was written/said. It drives home the feeling that you are in a particular location.

Edited by roun90

I disagree. Those anime cutscene news announcements barely last a couple of seconds. And what is spoken by the announcer is in clear English.

I like the fact that the news background is in Japanese. Some minor things should not be translated. The setting is in Tokyo, Japan and if every minor thing is translated, the authenticity of the location will be lost. It will then be no different than any fictional American/English city.

For ex., in Uncharted 2 a lot of signs were in Nepali. Tenzin spoke exclusively in Nepali without any subs. People (including me) loved it, since it added authenticity even though we could not understand what was written/said. It drives home the feeling that you are in a particular location.

This is subjective and many people would love to know what the actual text / dialogue is (perhaps this can be an optional setting similar to enabling/disabling Japanese VO).

Anyways, not subbing English voiced lines and bad translation do not add to the authenticity of the location in the game.

That is not an English voiced line. It is simply the background of a news reader's screen. The actual news spoken by the news-reader is in English.

Anyway, please do keep in mind that Atlus has actually translated every small bit of thing in this 100 hr single play-through game (right from random npc chatter in the street to random persona voices).

And unlike other games, translation of this is much more harder, since the game is crammed with character interactions and story every bit of the way.

Also, what you are showing as untranslated is an anime cut-scene. Those backgrounds are very rarely (I might even say never) translated. Remember, Atlus does not make those cut-scenes. There are dedicated anime companies who produce those (same ones who make actual anime series). In this one I think it was Production IG or UFOTABLE (either one of those). These scenes are generally expensive. Atlus can overlay the English audio dub over it, but do you think they will shell out twice the money for re-making the same scene just to satisfy those people who want to see a 2-3 sec background scene? Keep in mind, this news reader scene will be over and view point in the anime cut-scene will shift before you see much (within a couple of seconds) anyway.

Also, most of the people who like such games are anime and JRPG fans. They generally do care for like such authenticity.

Overall, I find this to be one of the best dubbed games yet. They have dubbed everything in there, even the minor background noise. This is without losing much or rather anything in the quality of the story. I have played some games where translation was bad and you can make it out, if you compare the EN and JP versions (sometimes even without the comparison).

To call this a bad translation, when it has a more proper translation than most of the games out there, based on minor nit-picks is I feel a discourtesy to the translators.

Edited by roun90

I aint too bothered by the subtitles and voice over. Though I would have loved it if there was Japanese audio and english subtitles. Would have been a fantastic experience. SO I did the entire 4th castle in a single day, the SP adhesive is a very helpful addition to the repertoire. Thanks for the advice tyler. However the final battle was kinda mediocre compared to the other 3 battles.

I have one query will the game allow me to max all confidants etc before reaching the end or is there a time limit. It is highly unlikely that I will replay the game again, I just want to see allt he confidant storylines.

I aint too bothered by the subtitles and voice over. Though I would have loved it if there was Japanese audio and english subtitles. Would have been a fantastic experience. SO I did the entire 4th castle in a single day, the SP adhesive is a very helpful addition to the repertoire. Thanks for the advice tyler. However the final battle was kinda mediocre compared to the other 3 battles.

I have one query will the game allow me to max all confidants etc before reaching the end or is there a time limit. It is highly unlikely that I will replay the game again, I just want to see allt he confidant storylines.

You can download the Japanese voiceovers as a separate 3 gb DLC and do exactly what you want. I actually like the English voices a lot so I stuck with that.

As for maxing all confidants in a single playthrough, it's definitely possible but not without a guide and careful management, especially since some of them become gated behind stat requirements. I wasn't able to max all and I don't actually regret it, The ones I couldn't max were...

Haru, Iwai, Shinya, Yoshida

Also I didn't realize the importance of starting Chihiya's confidant link until much later into the game. Kept avoiding her for some reason. She's absolutely critical for getting the most out of your confidant time.

Do the Sun Confidant, as soon as you can (whenever it's available). After a certain point in the game, you will be locked of it. So you will be unable to complete it in your play-through if you delay it. The bonus is also, I would say, quite necessary. The final rank basically allows you to negotiate with and get personas to join you, even if their level is higher than yours.