Kingdom Come: Deliverance

PS Fan

We’re mixing the freedom and mechanics of Skyrim, the setting of Mount and Blade, the storytelling styles of The Witcher and Red Dead Redemption, and the tough combat dynamics of Dark Souls into a single, gorgeous package.

Our combat mechanics are the most challenging feature of our game. They’re based on actual 15th century techniques and designed in cooperation with medieval martial arts experts to be as authentic as possible. The controls are as intuitive as in first-person shooters and, thanks to a few tricks, we have a large amount of different moves and combos. On top of that, the whole thing is based on real-time physics and inverse kinematics, so when you hit something, your hands and weapon, not just your target, react accordingly, which is something that was not possible on last-gen hardware.

No, I didnt play. Since this game has only swordplay, they must do something really innovative.

Chivalry and War of Roses series does it much better on the PC.

The freedom of movement is controlled by how the mouse is being moved if I recall correctly. So if you drag your mouse to the left and click on attack the sword / mace / knife will go from the right -->left on screen.

And the game has archery (proper) as well so you need not despair.

I am in two minds to back this or no.

Dishonored has good sword mechanics, but most ppl would have approached stealth approach and didnt notice it. Hope this game will have something like that. If its only block and attack like skyrim, it'd be bad.

Yeah! That was good but not really intuitive or free-form as this game will need the mechanic to be.

Yeah I meant to say mount and blade :) I think alpha did too

Mount n' Blade is also an example, yes.

Edited by ALPHA17

Kingdom Come: Deliverance Will Be As Hard But Not Similar To Dark Souls, Size Similar To Oblivion

“Its different. Viktor who is currently working on our combat loves DS and finished it several times (!!!!!) I, who designed the core mechanics and principles of our combat, dont like it that much icon_smile.gif In terms of game mechanics and controls I would say that its very different, but in terms of feeling and difficulty, its more similar.”

“If you just hold block, you are going to run out of stamina quickly and then you are as good as dead.”

“It would be very difficult for five enemies to attack you at the same time, they could hit each other. That being said, we don’t want to have a situation like e.g. Assassins’ Creed where enemies wait to take their turn to be killed. There will be engagements with multiple enemies, but ideally you will have some allies to have your back.”

src: dsogaming

Warhorse Studios to collaborate with RSI, how are the Collector's Edition collectibles are to be made

swords_full.jpg

woodcuts_full.jpg

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is approaching £1 million in pledges, and entering its last day of Kickstarter funding. Star Citizen, meanwhile, has long since left the crowdfunding service, and is nearing $39 million. Both successes, then, albeit one astronomically more so than the other. The good news for those who've put money into either game, is that the two studios will be collaborating - sharing their knowledge between both projects. Unfortunately, that probably doesn't mean space jousting.

Star Citizen's Chris Roberts explains why he's taken an interest in the medieval RPG.

"Kingdom Come doesn’t just look like a great game, though: it looks like something we on the Star Citizen team could learn from. The characters and outfits I saw working in-engine in the trailer impressed me so much that I contacted the team to talk about what was going on under the hood. Star Citizen doesn’t need peasants and knights... but it does need a robust character creation system for the persistent universe. And that technology is exactly what Warhorse is building for the CryEngine."

"The good news is: the team at Warhorse isn’t just an incredible talented group of people... they’re also kindred spirits who are willing to share the work they’ve done! We will be sharing with them the tricks for working with CryEngine we’ve learned over the last 18 months and they will be letting us in on the secrets and the tech behind what they’re doing! I’ve always said that independent developers should stick together, and the potential good for both games that can come from this unofficial partnership is proof positive!"

Source: PCGamer via KickStarter

Also, coming to a next generation console near you...

Million pound doge confirmed.

Kickstarter over.

£1,106,371 pledged of £300,000 goal

(368% funded)

Thank you

A month ago, we were all pretty nervous. After almost two years of struggle, we faced a do-or-die situation. There was no other chance to get financing for our game than doing a crowd-funding campaign. No publisher was willing to risk their money on a weird, historical game for a “niche” audience. No investor was going to step in without proof that their investment was going to pay off.

It wasn’t all hopeless; we had research that proved that the ideas of our game were resonating with gamers. But other voices were skeptical – “Kickstarter’s popularity is waning.” “The Olympics will sap our coverage.” “We’re not true indies – Kickstarter isn’t for people like us…”

I was very nervous. I had done my homework. I had studied all the unsuccessful campaigns that asked for more than US$500,000, and I knew a lot about the campaigns for projects similar to ours that managed to raise way over one million dollars. Those that didn’t had done something wrong, or their games just weren’t good enough. But was our game good enough?

And what about the press? Were they going to like it? Hadn’t they seen things much better behind closed doors? Some unannounced, next-gen, big-budget RPG we could never compete with? Were they going to be interested in a weird game from a little studio from some small country far, far away?

Then there were our fellow citizens in the Czech Republic – the most skeptical and sarcastic nation on the planet: “You are crazy! Who is going to be interested in history! In OUR history! Nobody cares about us!”

Hell, we even had problems finding a PR agency to represent us. We tried to hire several two months before the campaign, but everyone basically ignored us. Everyone told us that they don’t do Kickstarters – that press doesn’t cover Kickstarter projects anymore. Luckily, we met Corey Wade from US agency Sandbox Strategies, who believed in the project and quickly brought in Claudia Kuehl and Patrick Schroder from DELASOCIAL to focus on Germany. They got us in front of the press and thankfully the journalists responded positively and posted thoughtful previews of the game early in the Kickstarter campaign.

It took us a whole weekend to shoot the Kickstarter video with me telling the story. It was a last minute recording, and we did it in English knowing that, if my accent was too thick, it could have a terrible impact. I’m not a native speaker - how could our video compete with their awesome work?

That’s what was in our minds when we pressed that green PUBLISH button on our Kickstarter page one month ago…

The day we launched our campaign, I woke up in the morning to find we were the lead article on the front page of GameSpot, with our artwork all over the screen. Wow. And there was so much more to come. The response from gamers was even better. Better than we could ever wish for. It became clear that there are quite a few people out there who have similar tastes in games to our own.

The main “reason” we were rejected by all the publishers turned out to be totally false. Not only do people not need fantasy or magic or dragons to enjoy a game, they desperately want games without them! Along the way, we were fortunate to receive support and promotion for the game from such personas as Chris Roberts, Brian Fargo, Sven Vincke, and others. It’s really been one helluva ride.

We have raised almost 400% of our original goal. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is among the 30 most-funded Kickstarter projects of all time and in the top 15 of videogame projects. We have 35 thousand backers, with an average pledge of US$52. Our YouTube channel has more than a million views.

Simply said: You are awesome! Thank You!

So, what’s next? Now we have to make the game! We feel a lot of responsibility and obligation to deliver on our vision after so many people put so much of their trust into our project. It’s going to be hard to satisfy all those expectations, but we will do all we can not to disappoint you.

I will finally have time to sit down with the designers and start writing the quests and storyline. Next month, we will be joined by twelve new colleagues (some of them quite experienced senior developers from the recently disbanded 2K Czech studio in Prague). In just a few months, we plan to grow to more than 50 people, so we can make the big game we first dreamed of.

Of course, we will continue to openly blog about development, as we have in the past. Since we don’t need to hide anything anymore, it should be even more interesting. You can follow our blog here.

And if you want to stay informed about what is going on, please follow our: Facebook page, Twitter and YouTube channel.

We will also continue to raise money on our own webpage, where you will be able to get most of the same, terrific rewards and early access to the game, if for whatever reason you didn’t or couldn’t pledge in the past month. Our shop will accept PayPal and Amazon Payments, as many of you asked. We will continue to add new stretch goals as we can.

As promised, we will release an Alpha version in about six months to all those who pledged Baron-level support and higher, and we’ll be carefully looking at your feedback on our forums, which are open to all of our backers. By mid-2015, we should release the Beta, followed by the final version of Act I.

So, on behalf of the whole team, thank you again for your generous support and enthusiasm. Now, if you’ll excuse us, we are going to have a little celebration!

Cheers!

Dan Vávra

Creative Director, Warhorse Studios

^ You really don't expect them to speak in current generation terms, right.

I don't, but the language seems needlessly overdone. They could just have more contemporary British accent that people won't struggle to understand at least.