Personal Training / Fitness Counseling thread

HundredProofSam

Thanks a lot Joe <3. Almost everything is triggering anxiety in me these days. Be it video games, studies, meeting new people. Which is why I am seriously considering of taking these. It's been a very bad year for me! I am planning to consult a doctor in the coming week. Hope it works well. Thanks again! Really appreciate it!

• 1 month later...

I've always been lean and have had good resting metabolism, but over the last couple of years I started gradually gaining weight without any change in diet or physical activity.

I've never been consistently physically active, but enjoy sports and activities like rock climbing. I've tried running/going to the gym and they're just not my jam. I get extremely bored doing either of them. Sports are fun because of the sense of competition.

I started going for brazilian jiu jitsu a couple of months ago. The first couple of days of training left me the most exhausted I've ever felt in my life. Each class is an hour long and starts with 15 minutes of intense cardio warm-up including - Jogging, push ups, jumping jacks, cartwheels, forward rolls, backward rolls, crunches (more than 50) and a whole host of jiu jitsu specific moves - all without a break.

Then you actually practice jiu jitsu moves for about 30 min. The final 15 minutes are straight up sparring with other people and this almost kills you.

The first month or so I was quite irregular because I would dread the initial cardio even though I enjoyed the practice and sparring sessions. But my cardio has gradually improved to the point where I'm no longer collapsing at the end of the warm-up session.

Over the last month I've been going three times a week and I'm seeing dramatic improvements. I've lost fat from my face. It looks like it did three years ago. I've also lost almost all of my belly fat. I can't see the six-pack but I can definitely feel it! And this has happened over the last month!

I'm also really enjoying jiu-jitsu. I still get submitted all the time by more experienced guys. I got accustomed to that from my very first class. But over the last week, I actually managed to execute some moves (sweeps and chokes) while sparring that I had only practiced before. It was an exhilarating feeling of accomplishment. It was also very motivating to have proof of improvement.

I think I've found my thing. There are a number of positive reinforcements that are keeping me hooked to BJJ - Weightloss, better cardio, feeling stronger and seeing improvement in my BJJ.

I also really like the culture and the environment of the BJJ school and I've heard most schools are similar. It's a very respectful and friendly environment. Most people you spar with are friendly and helpful. You do go hard while sparring and try and choke the other guy but you always shake hands and fist-bump before and after every session. The instructors push you hard but don't force you. They've somehow managed to create an intense but low testosterone environment that prevents guys from getting over-aggressive. There are also a lot of female students in the class and they spar with the male students as well.

You don't really have to follow any particular diet because you burn a sh*t ton of calories during training. I've cut down on snacking and chocolates but I still eat well.

I would encourage anyone looking to get fit to try BJJ if you have a school near you. It's a tough start if you're not in good shape but if you keep at it even for a month, you start to see dramatic progress which then keeps you hooked.

• Like 1

I have Been working out in the evening for past 2 years.

Last week i decided to workout in the morning (6AM).

Surprisingly i was able to lift easily compared to evening.

Why is that?

I am well fed in the evening compared to morning but not able to lift as much.

Edited by SRINI87

• 5 months later...

Folks, I know I am reviving this thread after months. So, I lost quite a bit of weight over the past one year(~45 kgs actually :P ) and have been lifting for the past 4 months or so to put on some muscle. I am following the one muscle-group per day regime. Usually goes like chest, lats, shoulders, bi/tri, legs and core. One thing that is really irking me is my inability to do pull-ups. Any tips on how to strengthen my lats and core?

Although I've lost weight, I need to tone and reduce my belly-fat and flabs(skinny fat type now). I generally cycle for about 9-10 km(home to gym and back), used to do cardio for additional 20-30 mins and then one hour of weights. I've been trying to spend more time lifting(with increasing weights) and reducing cardio. Do you guys suggest to stick with this or to do more cardio? Help would be really appreciated :cheers:

Edited by l33tmaniac

6 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

Folks, I know I am reviving this thread after months. So, I lost quite a bit of weight over the past one year(~45 kgs actually :P ) and have been lifting for the past 4 months or so to put on some muscle. I am following the one muscle-group per day regime. Usually goes like chest, lats, shoulders, bi/tri, legs and core. One thing that is really irking me is my inability to do pull-ups. Any tips on how to strengthen my lats and core?

Although I've lost weight, I need to tone and reduce my belly-fat and flabs(skinny fat type now). I generally cycle for about 9-10 km(home to gym and back), used to do cardio for additional 20-30 mins and then one hour of weights. I've been trying to spend more time lifting(with increasing weights) and reducing cardio. Do you guys suggest to stick with this or to do more cardio? Help would be really appreciated :cheers:

:O

Teach me senpai

You don't need more than an hour of weight lifting. You regime seems pretty good. Not sure why you're unable to do pull ups. How much do you bench? Hpw much can you curl? 

The best way to increase upper body strength is to keep at pull ups/chin ups every training day. Eventually you will increase your strength. 

11 minutes ago, Playstationdude said:

You don't need more than an hour of weight lifting. You regime seems pretty good. Not sure why you're unable to do pull ups. How much do you bench? Hpw much can you curl? 

The best way to increase upper body strength is to keep at pull ups/chin ups every training day. Eventually you will increase your strength. 

I can bench 15kgsx2 on the smith machine easily. More than 20, I may need help.

Curl upto to 12.5kgsx2 on the bi-rod without help. My stupid gym is equipped with a lot of nonsense equipments but doesn't have a chin-up. Would have been much easier if it had one. Just keep trying pull-ups everyday with someone helping?

11 minutes ago, Rashmeet said:

:O

Teach me senpai

Diet and workout man :P 

Edited by l33tmaniac

17 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

I can bench 15kgsx2 on the smith machine easily. More than 20, I may need help.

Curl upto to 12.5kgsx2 on the bi-rod without help. My stupid gym is equipped with a lot of nonsense equipments but doesn't have a chin-up. Would have been much easier if it had one. Just keep trying pull-ups everyday with someone helping?

Diet and workout man :P 

Don't use a smith machine, that is the worst thing you can do for strength building. Use normal benches. 

If your gym doesn't have a chin up/pull up bar then it doesn't deserve to be called a gym :P Quit it and join a better place.

Also doing pull ups/chin ups daily will help you build strength. Avoid taking support for these, try pulling up as much as you can. Make a habit of doing atleast 50 pullups daily , no matter how much time it takes. When I joined the gym I used to spend 30min doing 50pullups as instructed by the trainer. Others used to tease me , but now the f**kers can't do 10 pullups properly while I can do 20 in one set. 

Also pay attention to your form while lifting. A bad form may give you the illusion of lifting heavy but won't do anything to build strength. 

Your curl to bench difference seems weird. I curl max 15×2 on a barbell and can bench 50kg easily without support on a normal bench  can bench 60kgs with very mininal support. Going by that you curling 12.5×2 vs benching 20×2 with support on a smith (which is easier) is surprising.

Edited by Playstationdude
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Playstationdude said:

Also pay attention to your form while lifting. A bad form may give you the illusion of lifting heavy but won't do anything to build strength. 

Your curl to bench difference seems weird. I curl max 15×2 on a barbell and can bench 50kg easily without support on a normal bench  can bench 60kgs with very mininal support. Going by that you curling 12.5×2 vs benching 20×2 with support on a smith (which is easier) is surprising.

Haha. Thanks man. I've already paid for my subscription, so have to make do without a chin-up machine. I just need a boost to lift myself for pull-ups. Once I am up, I can do quite a few without any help. Its the initial boosting part that I am not able to do.

As far as curls are concerned, I guess its because I used to do some biceps workout during my weight-loss phase. My shoulder and chest muscles still have a long way to go and hence the difference. As you mentioned, I am paying attention to form. Luckily, have some good folks around who keep correcting me. I've been slowly trying to increase weights on the smith so that I can transition to regular normal bench. Will probably do that by this month.

3 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

Haha. Thanks man. I've already paid for my subscription, so have to make do without a chin-up machine. I just need a boost to lift myself for pull-ups. Once I am up, I can do quite a few without any help. Its the initial boosting part that I am not able to do.

As far as curls are concerned, I guess its because I used to do some biceps workout during my weight-loss phase. My shoulder and chest muscles still have a long way to go and hence the difference. As you mentioned, I am paying attention to form. Luckily, have some good folks around who keep correcting me. I've been slowly trying to increase weights on the smith so that I can transition to regular normal bench. Will probably do that by this month.

Lol I thought your gym doesn't have that pull up/chin up bar. If it has that it's all good. Have never used a chin up machine myself. 

Folks, I know I am reviving this thread after months. So, I lost quite a bit of weight over the past one year(~45 kgs actually [emoji14] ) and have been lifting for the past 4 months or so to put on some muscle. I am following the one muscle-group per day regime. Usually goes like chest, lats, shoulders, bi/tri, legs and core. One thing that is really irking me is my inability to do pull-ups. Any tips on how to strengthen my lats and core?

To strengthen your core you can incorporate loaded carries in your workout routine.
For instance suitcase walk which means walking with weight in one hand for distance and on the way back switch hands. Another example would be Farmer walks, carry weights in both hands and walk for distance or time.
Read up few articles on loaded carries and turkish get up by Dan John.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

Anyone ever had to gain weight and not reduce? wLIDeXn.png I eat plenty and never exercise (as in focus on it or go to a gym or run around, nothing) but still never actually gain any weight.

How old are you? I was the same, but my resting metabolism started slowing down once I hit 30. Now I need to keep active or I start putting on weight.

Anyone ever had to gain weight and not reduce? wLIDeXn.png I eat plenty and never exercise (as in focus on it or go to a gym or run around, nothing) but still never actually gain any weight.

I'm trying to gain weight but no exercising.
Started at 128lbs on 16 June currently 134 lbs. Goal to reach is 155lbs as quick as possible. After that hit the gym and build strength and muscle.
Why not hit the gym now? Because judgmental people staring at me. I can't stand it.

1 hour ago, mohit9206 said:

Started at 128lbs on 16 June currently 134 lbs. Goal to reach is 155lbs as quick as possible. After that hit the gym and build strength and muscle.
Why not hit the gym now? Because judgmental people staring at me. I can't stand it.

If they stare just show them your VCD collection..;)

Dude dont worry about that just go and work out.. you will still be judged even if you are well built.. i was 48kgs when i started.. just be confident and believe you can achieve..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mohit9206 said:

People judge you even at 134lbs? That's like 60kg which is pretty normal for a lean guy. :scratchchin: