PC Hardware Thread

ALPHA17

id Software came to Nvidia's event to show off Doom running on a GTX 1080. They've also been working with Nvidia to get Vulkan support working, which is what they previewed. How fast is it? Frame rates are hitting 200 fps at times.

The 1070 will be quite expensive at launch as well. Expect it to be priced somewhere around 30-35k whereas a 970 is around 25k right now. If you are prepared to pay the premium and have no qualms in waiting then by all means go with the 1070.

So does it make sense to wait a couple of months for the 1070 or go ahead and buy

the 970 now?

You do not have anything right now, if you can be patient, wait it out. Else, the GTX970 is not a poor pick in the current scenario.

Well, the price of GTX 1070 seems to be same as GTX 970. So there is no point in buying GTX 970 now; unless you are getting it for $200.

Cheaper, $379 launch vis--á-vis $399 launch for the GTX970.

But ground realities in the Indian market will see the GTX1070 start around ~30,000/- (optimistic) and then steadily depreciating in value over two or so years.

Edited by ALPHA17

You do not have anything right now, if you can be patient, wait it out. Else, the GTX970 is not a poor pick in the current scenario.

Cheaper, $379 launch vis--á-vis $399 launch for the GTX970.

But ground realities in the Indian market will see the GTX1070 start around ~30,000/- (optimistic) and then steadily depreciating in value over two or so years.

970 was $329 at launch

hello hello... I have almost 0 knowledge on hardware these days.

I built my PC back in 2007. It has an ATI raedon 4850 in it. ( 2GB RAM, Q6600)

I am looking to play blu rays on my pc, but just realised that my card won't play 3D.

What is the cheapest card that i can buy which can help me here.

I am looking to play blu rays on my pc, but just realised that my card won't play 3D.

What is the cheapest card that i can buy which can help me here.

A GTX750Ti or AMD R9 260 would be your best.

• Like 1

^ Yes the board and cards would work. Where exactly do you stay in Gurgaon. I will try to tell you a local place to pick up from as well.

Otherwise Amazon, flipkart are your best bets.

nVidia showcases latest software to be debuted along with Pascal release

Nvidia-Ansel-pcgh.jpg

First up on the software side, Nvidia has created a new tool and API called Ansel to aid artists in capturing amazing screenshots. Except "screenshot" doesn't do justice to what Ansel can do. It's a free camera utility that you can position anywhere you want, it has support for a variety of filters, HDR (EXR) is supported, and you can bump up the resolution of the capture.

Next up on the new features is Nvidia VRWorks Audio, a true path traced audio solution. This is something you obviously need to experience in person, but in principle it sounds (erg…bad pun alert) quite reminiscent of AMD's TrueAudio. We've had various forms of 3D audio over the years—Aureal 3D for example was doing custom ASICs with HRTF functions to do 3D audio way back in the early aughts—but VR has suddenly pushed 3D audio back into the limelight.

The final item discussed was new technologies to help with displays. HDR output is now present, for those of you with ultra-high-end HDTVs, and Nvidia announced their new Pascal chips will support single-pass simultaneous multi-projection with support for up to 16 independent viewports. This doesn't seem entirely new, as Maxwell 2.0 already supports something like this with their multi-res shading and multi-viewport technologies, but apparently there are some differences at the hardware level that make the new method "better."

For the complete lowdown, head to PCGamer.

Interesting developments and definitely one area where AMD is non-existent.