PC Hardware Thread

ALPHA17

There's a lot of unknown specifications for the GTX 1070. With the launch date just a month away, really looking forward to see price from 3rd party manufacturers, as well as price drops on the 970.

Looks like it is time to retire the 770...

What exactly is Nvidia’s GTX 1080 Founders Edition?

The Founders Edition for the 1080 and 1070 are in fact nothing more than a renaming of the "reference" cards that Nvidia normally releases with the launch of a new GPU. They are built and designed by Nvidia, they will run the official stock clocks, the chips are not specifically binned to be better than others, and there are no extras of any sort. So why would you want one?

First, the Founders Edition [Ed—hey, where's my apostrophe?] cards are apparently built to exceed the minimum quality needed. The vapor chamber cooling, high quality power components, and other elements cost money, and they may not even be necessary. It's not too hard to guess that the reference cooler—including the large metal backplate—is more expensive than an open air cooler that doesn't have a vapor chamber and uses two fans to move more air. How much more expensive? Almost certainly not $70 or $100.

Second, the Founders Edition cards will be available at launch. Other versions from Nvidia's partners… we don't know when exactly they will show up. The cynics will say that this is a way for Nvidia to jack up the pricing on the new Pascal cards by $70-$100, but that only works if MSRP cards aren't available until later. In fact, Nvidia explained that, as usual, we can expect to see factory overclocked cards and other variations that cost more than the Founders Edition, along with other cards that will cost less, and presumably at least some of these will be around at launch. Are those cards better, worse, or the same as the Founders Edition? The answer: yes.

30% over Titan X

Under benchmarks. Want to see proper numbers.

Nvidia f**ked up with regional pricing again. Good bye Nvidia!

Wow that is worse than my wildest expectations. =/

Are these Founder's Edition cards or parallel imports?

Under benchmarks. Want to see proper numbers.

Wow that is worse than my wildest expectations. =/

Are these Founder's Edition cards or parallel imports?

Actual improvements will only be drastic in a few games and it won't be much faster than 980 Ti in actuality.

Doesn't seems to be Founder Edition to be me. I will ask Prime and let you know. I think I have not made the wrong decision to upgrade to 980 Ti last month.

Actual improvements will only be drastic in a few games and it won't be much faster than 980 Ti in actuality.

I would not be surprised, the reduced power draw is good news.

That is an insane price (if true). Considering GTX970 got it right for being priced appropriately at launch, this would be ludicrous.

I just can't believe the price is legit.

So a product which cost $379 ( GTX 1070) in US will cost me $1048(70K) in India?

It is not a legit price but do not ever expect tech to be priced at its direct currency rate price-tag either.

• Like 1