PC Hardware Thread

ALPHA17

36 minutes ago, KJD said:

Yes, Even I had bought my GTX 1070 before more than year now, for 37K from primeABGB. 

It's indeed a bit scary situation for upgrade / new GPUs

will you be interested in buying a under warranty Zotac gtx 980ti AMP edition?

14 hours ago, KJD said:

~snip~

Wait it out till Volta and new CPU's get launched. Currently, the pricing is screwed and if you have an operational PC stick with it instead of jumping the gun.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ALPHA17 said:

Wait it out till Volta and new CPU's get launched. Currently, the pricing is screwed and if you have an operational PC stick with it instead of jumping the gun.

If mining is not controlled by then, expect Volta cards to be even more expensive and for them to be Out of stock on launch day itself. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if the asking rate for x80 Volta was INR 1.5 lakhs-2 lakhs, with x70 just behind it.

But ya, no choice but to wait and hope for the best. No point in going for any GPU right now. It's a gamble whether Volta will be affordable, but completely not worth any GPU now.

A silver lining to all this, maybe we can sell our existing 1070s/1080s/1080tis etc. and make a profit out of it.

Edited by roun90

10 hours ago, roun90 said:

If mining is not controlled by then, expect Volta cards to be even more expensive and for them to be Out of stock on launch day itself. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if the asking rate for x80 Volta was INR 1.5 lakhs-2 lakhs, with x70 just behind it.

I do not think it will go to that level else the market will collapse. 

Also, I doubt we can sell Pascal cards for a very high markup unless you plan to vacate PC gaming.

3 minutes ago, ALPHA17 said:

I do not think it will go to that level else the market will collapse. 

Also, I doubt we can sell Pascal cards for a very high markup unless you plan to vacate PC gaming.

True; but mining can only be controlled if either the market collapses or Nvidia/AMD dedicates special cards to mining and blocks all other cards via drivers or something. Right now, NVidia's T&C allows mining on Geforce cards.

Also, I was talking more in terms of if people have SLI setups, it's good to sell 1 card immediately for high makeup. I was just looking at some good news in this entire situation.

@pixeljunkie Maxwell is still a very good card for 1080p 60 fps gaming. It's not a dead series at all. Anyway unless you have extra cards, as Alpha said, you will exit PC gaming if you sell now.

39 minutes ago, roun90 said:

True; but mining can only be controlled if either the market collapses or Nvidia/AMD dedicates special cards to mining and blocks all other cards via drivers or something. Right now, NVidia's T&C allows mining on Geforce cards.

Neither company has the wherewithal for that move. AMD has conceded, their driver package allows users to configure the efficiency of the setup based on what kind of task the GPU is to execute. 

And honestly, if both companies decide to stop paying attention to the effects of cryptocurrency on their business, the market deserves to crash. The current appreciation rates cannot be sustained. 

46 minutes ago, roun90 said:

@pixeljunkie Maxwell is still a very good card for 1080p 60 fps gaming. It's not a dead series at all. Anyway unless you have extra cards, as Alpha said, you will exit PC gaming if you sell now.

Not sure i follow. You said it yourself - Maxwell is good for 1080p60fps gaming. How is that a good thing in the present era?

12 minutes ago, ALPHA17 said:

And honestly, if both companies decide to stop paying attention to the effects of cryptocurrency on their business, the market deserves to crash. The current appreciation rates cannot be sustained. 

Extremely unrealistic. Because in any discussion, the importance/relevance of cryptocurrency takes precedence over that of the enthusiast PC gaming market. It is truly unfortunate that these two are still tightly interlinked.

40 minutes ago, pixeljunkie said:

Extremely unrealistic. Because in any discussion, the importance/relevance of cryptocurrency takes precedence over that of the enthusiast PC gaming market. It is truly unfortunate that these two are still tightly interlinked.

Well, it is a problem for nVidia and AMD because those guys have a higher ToT vis-à-vis standard gaming usage based returns. 

Also, in the event of a slump, these cards will be dumped into the open market at highly competitive rates. In that case, they eat into sales of newer generation cards. Either way, it will bite the companies in the long run. 

22 minutes ago, ALPHA17 said:

Well, it is a problem for nVidia and AMD because those guys have a higher ToT vis-à-vis standard gaming usage based returns. 

Also, in the event of a slump, these cards will be dumped into the open market at highly competitive rates. In that case, they eat into sales of newer generation cards. Either way, it will bite the companies in the long run.

I would like to add more but i'm exiting this conversation because @HEMAN has taken interest. Please don't take offence.

@pixeljunkie Why do you think 1080p 60 fps is bad? The Maxwell cards (esp. x70, x80 and x80ti variants) still give a better performance than any of the base consoles and in some cases better than the PS4 Pro as well.

These cards were made for those with monitors of 1080p 60 fps and could not/did not get 1440p/4k/144 hz monitors. That is the majority of PC owners currently, who are not hardware enthusiasts. Maxwell is still a very viable series for the average gamer, and not a dead series.

As regards to the mining industry, it is a question of "when" the crash will happen, not "if" it will happen. Cryptos have gotten too famous too fast. They are moving too much money that is unaccounted for and not taxed. The governments will control/tax/ban it sooner or later. When that happens, as Alpha said, miners will dump all GPUs in the market for peanuts. They are not long term customers. That will eat into the lastest GPU lineup as Alpha said. But not only that, many people might have moved on from gaming altogether by then or shifted to console gaming. They might be difficult to get back, which will again be a loss for Nvidia/AMD and PC gaming as a whole.

Edited by roun90