PC Hardware Thread

ALPHA17

The 390x does beat the 970 @4k gaming, please look at the benchmarks, also do agree with you that it is pointless to get 390x for future 4k gaming.

Yep never disagree with 390x beating a 970,but a 290x still does that.So nothings really changed.

Its a better performer than 970 but it is just as good a performer as a 980.

I havent come across anything where it comprehensively beats a stock 980.1-2 fpshere or there at best.

And thats without taking the overclock headroom of 980 into account.

But thats beyond point 980 isnt really a value product anyway.

With a custom board and decent cooling you can push the R9-290 / 290X ahead at-least on the 4K numbers.

Its a better performer than 970 but it is just as good a performer as a 980.

I havent come across anything where it comprehensively beats a stock 980.1-2 fpshere or there at best.

And thats without taking the overclock headroom of 980 into account.

But thats beyond point 980 isnt really a value product anyway.

why isn't a 980 a good value product? I was planning to buy an OC980. Used one costs about $430 while a new one is around $500.

^ Gets tied by a R9-290X at 4K. Same story with that and the R9-390X.

Unless you are a stickler for temperatures and for some funky reason can justify a small light panel on the side. I see no reason to pick up an nVidia card. Fury just cements the case against nVidia's high-end.

Looking at your case history though, you can go for a GTX980, if you have that money although I would suggest might as well go the full monty and pick up the GTX980Ti if you are serious about performance beyond 1080p.

why isn't a 980 a good value product? I was planning to buy an OC980. Used one costs about $430 while a new one is around $500.

If you plan on gaming at 1080/1440p .

980 would be fine if you can manage one at a good deal. Oc to 1400 mhz and it just about beats both 390x/290x ,albeit with only 4gb memory its not meant for 4k.

Also comes with full dx 12 support and if you are interested in nvidia gamework features,it would be handy.

Edited by Razpor

You don't need 4K monitor to play in 4K, you can do downsampling now on AMD cards so run those game in 4K or 1440p and downsample to 1080p for crisp non-aliased image without actually using any AA. 290X OC could run most games 1440p@60fps except when it ran into memory bottlenecks, so 390X is excellent choice for $400 if you run all games in DS mode, which you should if you only have 1080p tv/monitor.

Does this really work? or is it a gimmick? The DSR that Phantom talked about is similar?

Honestly, it is difficult to recommend the 980 at the current price point, you are better with the 980Ti or a 390x, obviously for accurate recommendations, we would need your requirements and current build.

Does this really work? or is it a gimmick? The DSR that Phantom talked about is similar?

Yeah its similar to DSR. Nvidia solution is more elegant since they've been doing it for years while AMD started it just 6 months ago, but it works just as good, especially for older games like Mirror's Edge or Orange Box.

• Like 1

Can these new GPUs access main system ram like consoles?

Wat :O

The AMD ones have HBM which is like faster than gddr5 by a mile,thats about it

on console there is no sytem or VRAM,everything is unified

Yeah its similar to DSR. Nvidia solution is more elegant since they've been doing it for years while AMD started it just 6 months ago, but it works just as good, especially for older games like Mirror's Edge or Orange Box.

I did read up on the DSR after Phantom's mention, but some of the comments on the article say it is creative marketing at its best from nVidia, will have to check this out first hand, will try it out on TW1. Have you experienced the difference first hand on ME and OB games?

As for the HBM memory Phantom, the enthusiast community still feels a little hard done with the 4GB HBM or no HBM, they feel it should have at the least 6GB on the Fury X.

I did read up on the DSR after Phantom's mention, but some of the comments on the article say it is creative marketing at its best from nVidia, will have to check this out first hand, will try it out on TW1. Have you experienced the difference first hand on ME and OB games?

As for the HBM memory Phantom, the enthusiast community still feels a little hard done with the 4GB HBM or no HBM, they feel it should have at the least 6GB on the Fury X.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076

^above guide to enable downsampling.you basically do some fiddling in driver settings,and when you boot into game you can then choose a higher res than your native res.

DSR is basically downsampling given a fancy name and enabled in-game(i guess there is a checkbox or yes/no option)

• Like 1

Can these new GPUs access main system ram like consoles?

No.

More like all things nVidia it is packaged with a shiny acronym, resolution super sampling was being done with custom GPU utilities like RadeonPro before nVidia decided to implement it in the Gameworks system along with GeForce Experience support.

Last I read R9 290x does not support full dx 12 feature set whereas 390x does. It is mentioned in most reviews too.

All AMD GCN architecture based hardware will support Dx. 12 fully.

Older Dx. 11 hardware will also be compatible but not universal and might miss a few features.

What about these new cards? Can these new GPU use my 8GB RAM as VRAM?

No, they cannot.

Edited by ALPHA17

Amd gcn based cards like 390x and 390 ,other 300 series only support dx 12 feature level 0.( basic featires like low cpu over head etc)

Only maxwell based 900 series supports feature level 12_1 at this moment.