PC Hardware Thread

ALPHA17

Yes. 3 GB 384 bit. 285 beats it in some benchmarks and consumes less power and has new architecture. Had it been 3gb 384bit, I would have recommended it. Best way is to get a 4 gb GPU to be safe for 2-3 years more at 1080p. I strongly recommend gtx 970 for 28k or wait it out for gtx 960.

^ Tell him to get a R9-280X or Google if the R9-285 will get a 4GB version. That is his best bet from his current options.

I strongly recommend gtx 970 for 28k or wait it out for gtx 960.

Looking at nVidia's pricing here in India. Both options will work out significantly more expensive. And seeing how the GTX960 is placed, I doubt it will get a decently priced version which has 2GB+ of V-RAM.

Yeah true. Get r9 280x for around 22k. But getting 970 for 6k more with much less power draw seems to be a better option. Zodka usko bol budget badhalo. 6k is not that big deal.

970 at 27.5k is better deal than 280x at 22k IMO.

I support you whole heartedly but sometimes, something, simply not in our hands.

I would say buy the best your budget can provide for and move on.

Alpha

Which model is better? Asus or Sapphire?

This one

ASUS GRAPHICS CARD R9 280X DC2 TOP 3GB DDR5

http://mdcomputers.in/asus-graphics-card-r9-280x-dc2-top-3gb-ddr5.html

or this ?

SAPPHIRE GRAPHICS CARD R9 280X 3GB DDR5 DUAL X OC

http://mdcomputers.in/sapphire-graphics-card-r9-280x-3gb-ddr5-dual-x-oc.html

970 at 27.5k is better deal than 280x at 22k IMO.

970 uskey budget k baahar hai, koi faayeda nahi bolney ka :lol:

Edited by Zodak™

^ Try to get him the MSi R9-280X Gaming OC card. Should be available at SMC and priced competitively.

If they have stocks of the GTX970 with them, you can query about that as well. If you want to recommend strictly between ASUS and Sapphire, go with Sapphire.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Im kinda in the same boat too. The current GPU I have isnt cutting it so I need something that will last me a couple of years while Nvidia and AMD get actual next gen cards out.

I was thinking of an 760 or 270x post price cuts. Sort of a stop gap update for a couple of years without investing serious money into it. Not really sure how much to invest though. :/

I was thinking of an 760 or 270x post price cuts. Sort of a stop gap update for a couple of years without investing serious money into it. Not really sure how much to invest though. :/

What card do you have currently? And what resolutions would you game at? I just upgraded mine to R9 280 for approx 19k. It should last me 2 years at 1080p. Get something with around 3-4 GB VRAM for sure.

EDIT: Also dont go for 270x. It is not a good overclocker at all as it is already an OCed 270 and almost reached its limit. I went to R9 280 as it can be easily OCed to R9 280X levels with good cooling (like most aftermarket coolers have).

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/05/19/amd-radeon-r9-280-review-feat-xfx/10

Edited by Big Boss

Nvidia 650. Its done. Its just not gonna cut it anymore.

I dont wanna get a 280. If I am spending 20k~ then I might as well bite the bullet and get a 970 which I REALLY dont wanna get. If I am upgrading in a year or two anyway, spending 20k doesnt make a lot of sense.

I dont have a set resolution in mind either. I just increase and decrease it when I feel its necessary. Often I trade higher settings for lower res. 15k is what I am thinking of. So, maybe a 760 if it ends up 15-16k after a price cut. Or the 270x. I dunno.

Nah it won't be 15k lol. It will be around 16.5 to 18k after negotiation. Avoid snapdeal for considering pricing as those are imported GPUs with no India warranty so their prices are less.

EDIT: FK price for MSI R9 280 just shot up over 20k :lol: I got for 18900 something. Had 770 bucks in FK wallet (refunds by FK for delayed delivery, prcing errors) so cost me around 18k and got it delivered next day. Hence I didnt bother with local pricing which already sucks in Pune.

Edited by Big Boss

Avoid snapdeal for considering pricing as those are imported GPUs with no India warranty so their prices are less.

Did you confirm about that card I had suggested you on snapdeal?

Did you confirm about that card I had suggested you on snapdeal?

Yup. That card (Direct CU II) isn't launched officially by ASUS in India. They have launched STRIX edition only. And STRIX edition is the best edition of ASUS R9 280. It is not available easily too.