2e7da44c9debc25c1d0b3097601dc6ac_large.j
elite1.jpg
Developer Frontier Developments
Platform Microsoft Windows, OS X
Release date
December 16, 2014
Genre Space trading and combat, MMO,first-person shooter in a later expansion
Mode Online multiplayer, online single-player
Elite dangerous: Horizons Expansion Announced.

Take control of your own starship in a cut-throat galaxy.
Start with a small starship and a few credits, and do whatever it takes to get the skill, knowledge, wealth and power to stand among the ranks of the Elite.
400 Billion Star Systems. Infinite Freedom. Blaze Your Own Trail
In the year 3300, across the vast expanse of an epic, full-scale recreation of our Milky Way, interstellar rivalries flare as galactic superpowers fight proxy wars.
Some may know you as an ally; others will call you a pirate, a bounty hunter, a smuggler, an explorer, an assassin, a hero... Fly alone or with friends, fight for a cause or go it alone; your actions change the galaxy around you in an ever unfolding story.
There are a number of distinct roles that players can take on. Roles do not require prior experience or skills to take part in - by obtaining the necessary equipment anyone can perform any role.

• Trading
  • Exploring
  • Mining
  • Bounty hunting
  • Pirating
  • Assassin
  • Smuggling
Trader
Trading is the act of buying commodities at a low price and selling them for a higher price. In Elite: Dangerous the Galaxy Map can help traders determine profitable trade routes by providing purchasable market data as well as displaying NPC trade routes and economy types. As profitable as it can be to haul cargo around the galaxy, pirates abound and, depending on the system, can be a major hazard for traders who are not prepared.
Explore
Exploring is a (mostly) lonely and time consuming job. The profitability depends on how much undiscovered data the player has to sell and, when the system is all but unknown, the profit can be quite substantial.
Miner
Mining in Elite Dangerous is very manual as the player must use a mining laser to chip off pieces of an asteroid to then scoop up to be refined onboard. As time consuming as it can be, a miner with the right technique can make just as much money as they would in other professions. For newer players mining can be a good way to learn ship control, operation of the cargo scoop, and how to interact with the control panel in flight.
Smuggler
Smugglers are similar to traders except that they sell goods where it is illegal, on the black market. Smugglers have to use stealth, cunning and special equipment to outwit the Police and sometimes military authorities, especially around stations, to sell their goods at a profit while escaping fines and a criminal record. Smugglers can also be a special case of couriers, where the player is asked to transport forbidden items.
Pirate
Pirates naturally earn combat ranking by attacking and destroying other ships. The primary motivation for pirates is the previous cargo carried by their prey. Pirates use powerful weaponry and their fearsome reputations to encourage traders to hand over their goods.
Mercenary
Mercenary work is found at starport bulletin boards which send the player to fight at conflict zones and warzones. In zones with active fighting a mercenary can find near constant work.
Assassin
An assassin requires flight experience and solid equipment as their targets are highly dangerous. The payout for taking down targets can be extremely rewarding, but make sure to never underestimate the enemy - their bounty is large for a reason.
Bounty Hunter
Space is a rough place and there are plenty of pirates in the anarchy systems who need to be retired. The bounty hunter takes advantage of the in-game bounty system, earning credits and combat rank for destroying wanted ships. Bounty hunters specialize in lethal, offensively-focused ships which are capable of reliably destroying their prey.
Planned updates to the game include allowing the player to seamlessly freeform land on 1:1 scale planets with cityscapes, as in the last two Elite games Frontier: Elite II and Frontier: First Encounters, and walk around in first person perspective on the entire surfaces of populated, living planets,with wildlife and go big-game hunting, with Braben wanting the ability to chase "big dinosaurs around". Planned updates include zero-gravity firstperson shooter combat,multi-crew boarding, the theft of other ships and other interactions with other players and NPCs inside ships and the internal areas of space stations, and space-walk around the exterior of ships to effect repairs.Other planned updates will allow players to operate ships with multiple players, including giant "executive control" capital ships to players,and to drive vehicles on the surfaces of planets, and stash cargo there.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone bought this game ?...its released on Steam now

yeah, I do play it from time to time. What would you like to know? oh there is a thread on steam elite, where all existing players are asking for steam key, and since thread has received an overwhelming response the devs are considering it .

yeah, I do play it from time to time. What would you like to know? oh there is a thread on steam elite, where all existing players are asking for steam key, and since thread has received an overwhelming response the devs are considering it .

Basically want to know what exactly this game is....Do you just explore or do you have missions as well ? Does it get repetitive.i think its a MMO so how is the online traffic..does it lag..? apart from that anything else you know abt which i don't..

Also what do you play with Joystick Throttle Combo, Gamepad, KB+mouse ?

- I play using kb/m

-It is a mmo. but it does have a single player mode.(you can choose to switch b/w solo and online mode)

-It does get monotonous after a while, but they do add features every month or two. They did add wing system(party system upto 4 players) and community goals recently .

-I have played most as a bounty hunter.

-There are missions but they get repetitive ,there are certain things you can do like start a civil war in a system.

-Live story ,where community actions effects how the story plays out .

-There is no lag, since i am playing single player mode(need internet connection for single player ). Don't think you'll have any latency issues even in online mode.

- I play using kb/m

-It is a mmo. but it does have a single player mode.(you can choose to switch b/w solo and online mode)

-It does get monotonous after a while, but they do add features every month or two. They did add wing system(party system upto 4 players) and community goals recently .

-I have played most as a bounty hunter.

-There are missions but they get repetitive ,there are certain things you can do like start a civil war in a system.

-Live story ,where community actions effects how the story plays out .

-There is no lag, since i am playing single player mode(need internet connection for single player ). Don't think you'll have any latency issues even in online mode.

Hmm...repetitive stuffs put you off though...probably the community needs time to grow...since Star Citizen is coming next year..i don't know how long people will play this..

Star citizen is turning out to be p2w from what i can tell ,you have to pay for ships with money.5000$ for alpha access.Even though its for funding,i think its absurd.

real money or in game money...?

^ Real-money. And I think $5000 is a typo, it should be $40+ pledge.

Ya, who would pay $5000..Lets see, since this game is on Steam now...Community might grow and the developers might bring new features to it...It looked interesting though...

^ Real-money. And I think $5000 is a typo, it should be $40+ pledge.

Not typo, i know some one who payed 5000$ for 10 ships or something,it's turning out to be p2w

There are packages up to 15000$.

here is the link:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/game-packages

@shadow storm Is there a video series on Youtube for this game...Not official..some random player playing it..?

yeah There are a lot of guides by players.(some of them are indepth ,incase your going bounty hunting which weapons are the best and all their stats)

for eg.

On another note,backers and existing players are lashing out at frontier for steam keys.Since they had announced that they would not be releasing the game on steam.

http://www.pcgamer.com/surprise-elite-dangerous-appears-on-steam/

Here is the steam thread.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/359320/discussions/0/611702631213153649/?tscn=1428081016#p1

Not typo, i know some one who payed 5000$ for 10 ships or something,its turning out to be p2w

There are packages upto 15000$.

here is the link:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/game-packages

Pledge starts from $45, you do not need to put down $5000 necessarily.

But with 15000 $ pledge, the amount seems ridiculous and another thing is that i cannot confirm this but the other ships(on the pledge page) i don't think you can buy with in game currency.

Ya..that $15,000 isn't for 1 ship...its a collection of some 66 ships...of cargo, transport, versatile and fighter category..

But with 15000 $ pledge, the amount seems ridiculous and another thing is that i cannot confirm this but the other ships(on the pledge page). I don't think you can buy those ships with in game currency.

And where did you come up with this nugget?

Archived