I got very sick on the first day of PSX ( fking germ filled conventions ) , So I didn't want to risk getting nauseous or something. I actually already tried it at E3 and I have an occulus dev kit at work. fking Morpheus is the real deal , surreal experience and super comfy. Though I dont know how long term usage will be , I cant use occulus for a long time.

Which version of Occulus do you have? DK 1 or DK 2?

Because I have used the latter and apart from the nauseous issue that will happen to a majority of first time users I did not find it uncomfortable to use, the only thing was the demo software left a lot to desire.

Any info on pricing?

Nope , but looking at the tech i'd say $300-$400 is a safe bet.

Which version of Occulus do you have? DK 1 or DK 2?

Because I have used the latter and apart from the nauseous issue that will happen to a majority of first time users I did not find it uncomfortable to use, the only thing was the demo software left a lot to desire.

DK1 ... Yea its not really the most fair comparison , since its really old and I heard DK2 is a lot better.

Additionally, in the jump to 120Hz, Sony has also implemented asynchronous time-warp, allowing 60fps games to be frame-rate upscaled to the native refresh of the HMD panel. The process also subtly warps the image based on the very latest motion data from the headset. Async time-warp can actually applied to all frames (even on native 120Hz code) and helps reduce potential nausea issues by ensuring that visual response to HMD movement is as fast as it can be. With that in mind, we have to wonder whether this is actually applied by the external processor box - going down this route could reduce latency significantly as opposed to implementing it during rendering.

This is all conjecture for now but there's certainly very strong evidence beyond the basic dimensions to suggest that the external box has a reasonable level of processing power. We can confirm that the current hardware is actively cooled, meaning that the chip inside is powerful enough to require assistance with heat dissipation. The fan sits on the rear of the box and is around 25mm in diameter. We're told by those using the hardware now that its noise is not intrusive.

However, despite the active cooling, we shouldn't expect too much from the external processor - core graphics rendering for VR all takes place within the PlayStation 4 hardware itself and it's going to be down to developers to work within existing limitations to get the best results. But from our perspective, the idea of computationally expensive, latency-sensitive tasks being offloaded to the external box is a good one, and should produce a better overall experience

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-playstation-vr-external-processor-revealed

• 2 weeks later...

Insomniac ‘nervous’ About ‘giving people heart attacks’ with Edge of Nowhere

The horror genre could well see a big resurgence with the arrival of virtual reality (VR) head-mounted displays (HMDs) next year. The sense of isolation that kits like the Oculus Rift provide can heighten scares and reach new levels of terror. Insomniac Games, the team behind upcoming horror title and Oculus Rift exclusive, Edge of Nowhere, is well aware of this. In fact, the videogame’s Creative Director Brian Allgeier is even ‘nervous’ about actually giving people heart attacks, taking steps to ensure that doesn’t happen.

Allgeier said as much in a recent interview with Game Informer, calling back to 2013’s celebrated horror mini-game, P.T.. “I played P.T. and I loved it, but it scared the hell out of me,” the developer noted. “I can’t imagine that in VR. I’m nervous about actually giving people heart attacks, I was nervous in P.T. that I might have a heart attack. But I think there’s a line to walk there, and you can go too far. We need to pay attention to that and figure it out. I think we need to be fair to the players, too, and not just try to completely terrify them. We are trying to scare them, we want the terror to feel real, but we don’t want to do too many cheap jump scares.”

P.T in V.R can easily give people major heart attack.. It was so scary that I was not able to watch it even on YT lol

Wow , insanely high price :/

Not just that but according to Nvidia and Oculus, you need minimum GTX 970 and a system with atleast 16GB of Ram with i7 CPU to get best V.R experience. So, you have to spend around 1000$ for PC + $600 for Rift to play V.R games..lol

1600$ for V.R games which people will play for max 15-30mins max...There is no way you can play a V.R game for 2-3 hours straight like a normal game without completely damaging your brain lol

Yup

Now sony will announce price for its vr headset for 500$ and win everyone's heart.

:rofl:

Though both are gonna fail ,still a long way to go for VR.

That comes with external processing unit, so it will cost close to $500 i think. Best thing about PS VR is that you don't have to buy a 1000$ PC to play V.R games.. You only need a $349 PS4 nothing else.

Wasn't the consumer version advertised as an affordable VR headset ?

It is a brand new piece of technology. Plus, I do not know how much the structure has changed after Facebook got their grubby paws on them.