harjas

• 2 weeks later...

BUY! Incredibly packed with content that really does just blossom out the game.

IGN: 8.8/10

War of the Chosen is a wide and deep expansion for XCOM 2 that improves variety in mission objectives, tactical options, threats, and strategic map activities. The Chosen are worthy adversaries who advance along with you to put up great fights without feeling cheap, and the new elite soldier classes add opportunities for interesting gameplay earlier in the campaign. Some significant balance issues show up, but especially for the first two-thirds of a campaign War of the Chosen restores the fear of the unknown to a game I know well.

Eurogamer - Recommended.

War of the Chosen is a generous expansion that's bustling with brilliant new systems that's a must for anyone who's completed XCOM 2.

I9AVToM.png

War of the Chosen unlocks in ~2 hours. 

• War of the Chosen is an incredibly compelling reason to return to XCOM 2. Adding both depth in strategy and new content for the game. Anyone who enjoyed XCOM 2 will most certainly enjoy this excellent expansion.
  • XCOM 2: War of the Chosen is definitely not for newcomers to the series. I highly advise you to start with just the base game if you're intrigued at all by XCOM or the strategy genre because this adds so much more on top of the already difficult game that it might turn you off completely.
  • War of the Chosen is a nice way to retourn to the Avenger and fight those aliens. The new content is good and the whole game feels like new.
  • 'DLC' desperately undersells War Of The Chosen, this fat and bursting sausage of turn-based splendour. I think I might have found 'XCOM 3' a mite more appropriate.
  • In XCOM 2: War of the Chosen, fighting a losing battle might be just as much fun as fighting and winning.
  • Overpowered aliens and a run of bad luck can test your resolve, but there is almost always a way out of every jam thanks to XCOM's layered strategy

OpenCritic: 89/100. 

Hands down one of the best expansion ever made. I9AVToM.png

Easily a buy if you are into XCOM. So much changed for the good. The amount of content is crazy and justifies the price. 

If anyone is planning to get, I'd suggest you skip Alien Hunters DLC as it just ruins the game with unbalanced difficulty. 

_

9/10 - SUPERB!

THE GOOD

•  Bond system reinforces human element
  •  New foes put your tactical planning to the test
  •  Additional factions maintain excellent pacing and progress
  •  Emergent drama creates unique narrative tensions
  •  Every addition fits and works together to build upon core themes and ideas

THE BAD

• Nothing

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Just downloaded this from ps store.  Any tips for a beginner to bthe series ? I didn't really understand the overwatch thing. Do we have to place the units in exactly the tiles marked for it ? Doesn't it expose your team to the enemies? 

Overwatch is very good and used for ambushing. It's a defensive move but is a good offensive strategy. Set your soldiers on overwatch behind cover (or even in out open when needed) and toss a grenade or simply wait for enemies to make a move. It has a 30% aim penalty but can be used against moving enemies, which usually means they're not behind cover, so it's not as bad as it sounds if the alternative is shooting at an enemy behind cover. Lack of cover gives you high crit chance which is very useful. Plus, as your soldiers level up, a lot will get bonuses to Overwatch, allowing some of them to take multiple shots. Usually, you will wipe them before they even make a move or leave you with a single target to focus on.

Tips:

• The game is very tactical and needs a lot of thinking & planning before moving forward.
  • Buy the Guerrilla Tactics School soon. Train your rookie soldiers. Increase your squad size. 
  • Make use of your rookie soldiers and not focus only on your main 4-6 squad soldiers. They will get tired out/wounded or worse - die. 
  • Use hunter as a scout.
  • Snipers are very good. Have them in your main squad.
  • Move in an orderly fashion. Your front line pushes forward, and your back line follows more slowly, keeping Overwatch on.
  • Gremlins are fantastic. It's a support tech. Upgrade them as soon as possible. 
  • Upgrade your armour. Don't skip unless you want to lose your soldiers after each mission.
  • Abandoning a mission is better than losing everyone. Nothing wrong. You can take losses, fail missions, and miss events while still finding success. So plan accordingly.
  • Pick up the loots quickly as they are available only for 2 turns. Of course, do it only when it is safe.
  • Make use of mimic beacons. It creates a hologram image and enemies will always attack it first. Useful for both offensive and defensive strategy.
  • Buildings and roofs breakdown and can hurt enemies. Pretty much everything can be destructed. When you see someone on the roof or before, blow it up to damage them significantly higher. 
  • Turrets can be instantly destroyed by making them fall down. 
  • Always kill Sectoids,
  • Don't worry about the avatar project much nor ignore it completely. 
  • Don't get cocky. Scout ahead, think twice before making a move. A lot of enemies can completely wipe you out. 

Lastly, the first playthrough or at least half of it is more of a learning experience if you are new to the series. Eventually, things will go south and you will take many attempts (or savescum) to advance. 

Great game. 

Archived