Agents of Mayhem

Engineer

I'd say it's just Saints Row with a different skin. The characters share similar humour and everything plays just like Saints Row game. 

The pre-order bonus is bullshite as you get Johnny Gat DLC with it. f5aVDTt.png

Something of a spiritual successor to Volition’s larger-than-life Saint’s Row series, Agents of Mayhem is a third-person open-world adventure that transports you to a futuristic recreation of the South Korean capital of Seoul to do battle with corporate villainy as an utterly rag-tag band of hired mercenaries known as the Agents of Mayhem.

PS4 Pro users can look to amp-up the chaos a few notches further with a suite of technical improvements that will make Seoul’s ‘City of Tomorrow’ truly stand out.

First up, maintaining a full HD resolution of 1920 x 1080, textures and scene detail will receive a huge boost from both increased level of detail (LOD) and a four-times increase in anisotropic filtering (from x4 to x16), refining texture detail and quality particularly when viewed at sharp angles.

This is further bolstered by increased shadow quality that creates more accurate and detailed shadows across the entire scene and increased texture resolution for particle effects throughout the game – meaning crisper more satisfying explosions all-round!

Turning away from pure presentation, you’ll also find Seoul an even more lively and happening destination with additional GPU power from PS4 Pro allowing an increase dynamic pedestrian and vehicle counts throughout the city.

And there’s more: all of this beautiful extra detail will pop with full support for high dynamic range (HDR) creating deeper levels of contrast and improving colour depth across the whole scene.

One final thing: overall performance will receive an appreciable boost above the base PS4’s 30hz output, reaching – at maximum – a high of 60FPS.

Getting it. 

1 hour ago, WhiteWolf said:

No reviews out yet? hmm :scratchchin:

Scored reviews may not be published until August 15th, 12:01am PT.

I really want this to be good (SR is one of my favorite franchises of all time) but -

1 It is usually not a good sign that reviews are embargoed till AFTER the game is launched. 

2 Not being able to create your own character really sucks. 

Still, definitely rooting for this. It is VERY much my kind of game. 

Over or yet to start? He seems to be streaming XCOM 2 expansion. m8T1rQm.gif 

2 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

PC or PS4? I think PS4 Pro frame-rate is unlocked 60 not locked 60. So expect drops during busy scenes

It seems PC version also has some framerate issues. So not sure which platform. 

9 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

Over or yet to start? He seems to be streaming XCOM 2 expansion. m8T1rQm.gif 

It seems PC version also has some framerate issues. So not sure which platform. 

It will definitely run better on your PC no doubt..You have GTX 1070 SLI with i7 and 16gb ram, right? ..You can can easily brute force this game to locked 60..

I don't know why devs go for unlocked 60 on consoles..Unlocked 60 sucks coz game never reaches 60.

Unexpected or was it?

duA8V9o.png

Gamespot: 4/10 - Obnoxious attitude, poor mission design, and technical bugs make Agents of Mayhem chaotic and repetitive.

THE GOOD

•  Wide variety of characters with different weapons and skills
  •  Fast-flowing and explosive combat makes a great first impression

THE BAD

•  Storyline loaded with obnoxious characters and expletives guised as humor
  •  Repetitive, monotonous mission design
  •  Somewhat buggy, with problems accessing key features and issues with mission goals
  •  Character upgrades fail to introduce meaningful depth

^^very angry review. Seems like he didn't like the humour. 

__

IGN - 7/10 - With fun combat and a likable cast, Agents of Mayhem leans too heavily on repetitive fights to be truly heroic.

____

Summary: Wait for Deep Deep Sale Disappointing, chaotic, repetitive, mysterious day one microtransactions...uhg. 

GTX 1080 struggling. pWnucJG.png JKWVqoL.png

Gadgets 360 - Rishi Alwani - 8 / 10

All in all, Agents of Mayhem is a solid effort. Fantastic heroes, ridiculous satire, and bombastic action make it a game you should check out even if the final product isn't as polished as it could be.

Summary:

• Agents of Mayhem heaps theoretical fun on you. Characters, powers, upgrades, tons of missions — it's desperate to for the player to just have fun. It's a noble impulse, but one that it's depressingly incapable of consistently delivering on.
  • Agents of Mayhem is an interesting experiment, but with short legs. While on one hand we have twelve agents all different and fun to use in fast-paced and dynamic gameplay mechanics, on the other hand we have a gameplay experience ruined mostly for the repetition of missions background and the copious presence of bugs And glitch ready to let you start over again a great run.
  • Agents of Mayhem is a step back for Volition after the success of the Saints Row series. While the characters are good and fun, they don't feel larger than life when compared to The Boss and their crew. There aren't as many memorable moments either, and the city of Seoul is wasted. The game is less Agents of Mayhem and more Agents of Mehhem.
  • Agents of Mayhem would have been a great rental in days gone by, but today it's an experience that's great for a a short while, but doesn't offer enough to keep players invested for the duration of the campaign.
  • I'll be honest. I expected to come out of Agents of Mayhem wishing that Volition simply made Saints Row V instead. But now? Now I'm looking forward to what other trouble this budding agency can get itself into, and that's saying something.
  • Agents of Mayhem is a step back from the trippy, superpowered hijinks of Saints Row IV and Gat Out of Hell. The cast is colorful and eventually, you'll open up the game enough that you'll have fun, but for a Saints Row veteran, you'll always feel like a little bit is missing. There a definite highlights here and there, but otherwise Agents of Mayhem treads water most of the time. Fun, but not amazing.
  • Agents of Mayhem had a lot to live up to with a built franchise like Saints Row, but I feel the spinoff accomplishes its goal and more. The open world was a fun world to play with and the story is very charming and enjoyable. The only real flaw with the game is it can drop in frame rates and there were a few bugs that required me to restart the game but none of that was a deal breaker.
  • Agents of Mayhem is a solid shooter with a neat character switching mechanic and an infectious sense of fun. It's biggest problem is an over-reliance on sending you into samey-looking lairs, performing the same hacking mini-game ad infinitum, and engaging in much the same activities over and over again. At its best when you're in the midst of a frantic battle, Agents of Mayhem grows very repetitive, very fast, but scratch beneath its surface, and you'll find hidden depths. There's also something strangely compulsive – almost hypnotically so – about playing AoM. Let it get its hooks into you and you'll likely be pursuing 100%. Simple, straightforward, fun, it's hard to resist.
  • Agents of Mayhem may be a departure from Volition's long-running crime series, but Volition's latest creation has personality and excitement in spades.
  • While sometimes enjoyable the game falls victim to poor design, performance, and bland incredibly repetitive gameplay to the extreme.

The negatives are mostly about bland and repetitive open world. The humour is hit or miss (always enjoyed the Saint's Row humour) and has performance issues. GTX 1080 dropping to ~45fps while driving. 

The gameplay seems pretty well received, at least. 

Correction about micro transactions from the developer.

[V] IdolNinja - Actually, there are no microtransactions. That menu in requisitions simply takes you to the Steam store to buy DLC content, none of which is actually out on day one (besides the bonuses for pre-ordering which are not yet for sale.) I do understand why he mistakenly thought that though. The wording of the menu is a bit unclear, and other streamers have also assumed (incorrectly) that there are microtransations.

__

ACG verdict doesn't make sense when he is completely positive in his review. 

Positive:

• Nice open world.
  • Good and complex gameplay.
  • Fun combat.
  • Cool characters. 12 agents to choose from.
  • Good sound effects.
  • Enjoyable base. A variety of missions. A lot of stuff to unlock/upgrade.
  • Good amount of content. 20 hours just for a story without unlocking agents. 3-5x times that if you unlock, do side missions, team missions, etc. Pretty big game.
  • The game is FUN but when he was done with the game, he was really done mainly because of performance issue, lack of co-op and MMO style. 

Negative: 

• Lackluster and generic music. 
  • MMO styling.
  • Poor performance.

Guess I'll be enjoying it. ~4 more hours! 

Archived