Heaven Angel

BTW following the

December

questline has led me to an objective that now says

escape Talos I

, I think have everything I need to do so. I'm wondering if it will trigger a premature ending. Perhaps I should just save and try it. I'm quite intrigued by the story, the game does a very good job of making you doubt everything and everyone. It really reminds me of Total Recall (the original not the crappy remake).

I think I'm almost at the end, 17 hours played, currently wrapping up leftover side quests. There's some really good ones.

Also the

Nightmare

is kind of a joke. Killed three of them already. Upgraded shotgun FTW! Also the Recycler Charge has been very useful. It even breaks down the super heavy stuff that needs Leverage III to move.

Finished! Took me just under 20 hours. Did most of the side quests I could find. Game has multiple endings and can be influenced by the outcome of some of the side quests. I was happy with the one I went with... and then the post-credit scene happened... :surprise:

Anyway, overall it's an amazing game and definitely worth picking up if you're a fan of Half-Life, System Shock, Bioshock, Deus Ex etc. It definitely takes elements from these games and puts you in a very cool setting. The story is also definitely a highlight. I love how seamless the station design is both on the inside and outside. I loved exploring it and by the last third I knew it like the back of my hand. I didn't even have to look at the quest markers to know where I wanted to go. I really like games with an interconnected level design (not open world mind you) but a contained space that actually feels like a real location. The original System Shock was like that and Prey definitely succeeds on that front.

As for the gameplay, it's pretty competent. Combat feel a bit clunky but it's by design. There's a ton of abilities to unlock (I did not buy any Typhon abilities btw) and many different ways in which you can fight and explore. Don't have codes to open a door? Hack it. Hacking skill too low? Look for a hidden path or use the Gloo Gun to make one! The crafting is a real highlight too. I liked how everything you pick up has a use as it can be recycled. Using the recycler was always satisfying, since you can actually see and pick up the recycled materials. Really added to the immersion.

The soundtrack like I said earlier, is ace and the voice acting is consistently good. The game has a pretty cool art style as well, I'll say it's a mix of Dishonored and Bioshock.

There are a few issues with the game however - most notably the audio mix which is quite bad. Some sounds like music and ambient noises are too loud while important dialog sounds muted. I'm also not a big fan of the visual filter that gets triggered when you engage a typhon in combat. The later half of the game also gets a little too chaotic at times and I preferred the slower and more exploration focused first half. They could have reduced the number of enemies but made them more formidable. Once I unlocked the final speed upgrade I just ran through everything like a madman (and it worked). It helped that I knew the locations very well.

So yes, it's another must play 2017 title and will definitely find a place in my top 10 of the year. I'm actually looking forward to doing another playthrough at some point.

How about Ammo? Is it survival type horror where you have to conserve ammo or FEAR type horror where you can be a Rambo and still have scary moments?

Ammo can be crafted (in addition to looting). Depends on how much time you spend searching. That said, it's not like you'll have hundreds of rounds and will be able to mow down every enemy in sight but you'll have enough to get past particularly sticky scenarios. The focus is very much on survival than combat, at least initially. Later in the game it is possible to invest in certain powers / abilities that can make you pretty formidable in combat. The game caters to multiple playstyles without locking you into specific build types. Adapting to the situation is the best way to survive.

For example, later in the game I had plenty of ammo and healing materials, but I still chose to avoid enemies since doing that was much more efficient than wasting time fighting.

How about Ammo? Is it survival type horror where you have to conserve ammo or FEAR type horror where you can be a Rambo and still have scary moments?

Ammo is scarce, at least on higher difficulty. You can increase the yield you get from items to get more ammo, tbh I'm half way through, I avoid a lot of combat, but it never gets easy.

The game basically gives you a gigantic satellite in space that you can explore from inside and outside by floating around it in zero-g. Its pretty amazing.

That's bad, bethesda games always suffers from major issues on release. Well the guys from here who're actively playing on PC haven't encountered any of these problems, Yet :P

That's bad, bethesda games always suffers from major issues on release. Well the guys from here who're actively playing on PC haven't encountered any of these problems, Yet :P

Played and finished on the PC, did most of the side missions, not a single bug encountered. Not saying that bugs don't exist but my own experience was pretty smooth.

Also f**k IGN. That's why you can't have nice things.

Not touching this game unless they enhance this for Pro and fix the frame pacing issues. f**k the devs for laziness. The box art says Pro support etc but there's nothing.

I don't like when people call devs lazy. it's not easy to make games for so many platforms.

They are focusing on fixing other important bugs than enhancing graphics for Pro.

Nier Automata not your goty anymore?

Nier I think is more unique than Persona, right?

Nier: Automata was my GOTY until I finished Persona 5. Yes, Automata is unlike anything else (except maybe it's own predecessor) but overall P5 is more satisfying and entertaining. I'll still have a special place for Nier: Automata just like the original Nier.

The same thing happened in 2015 between Bloodborne and The Witcher 3.

Archived