Red Dead Redemption II

Big Boss

So, I need suggestions on which platform to buy this for. I am basically a sucker for physical discs and like having them in my collection. I have a PS4 Pro, Xbone X and a good specced out gaming PC. Here are my arguments for getting on each platform

1. PS4 - Cheapest. It's retailing for 1900 rn and I can easily sell off if I don't like it. 

Cons: Not as good as Xbox.

2. Xbox - Best performing console version (on X anyway), but costs 3k.

Cons: Not good resale value. 

3. PC - Possibility of best visuals and 60fps gameplay. 

Cons: Download only. Costs 3.2k and takes up 150GB on drive. 

13 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

So, I need suggestions on which platform to buy this for. I am basically a sucker for physical discs and like having them in my collection. I have a PS4 Pro, Xbone X and a good specced out gaming PC. Here are my arguments for getting on each platform

1. PS4 - Cheapest. It's retailing for 1900 rn and I can easily sell off if I don't like it. 

PS4 - The resale value might be good but it's the least in performance, If you're a sucker for physical discs and collections you wouldn't have to bother with resale (if you don't like that's the whole another matter) look at the gameplays first and decide later. 

Xbox - Yes best on console performance but you can have more details in DF videos, there are minor dips on cinematic sequences and intense scenes. 

PC - Now that you have awaited till now then wait for sometime, yes you'll get the best experience on PC without a doubt. Let the PC review flow especially by DF. I feel the 150GB or even a 100GB hurts more on consoles than on PC. I have 2 TB space so it won't matter much imo. For resale, you can share with multiple friends and divide the cost, it stays with you forever for replayability at-least on STEAM you can, the game is huge and won't be finishing it in 2-3 sitting. Also MODS will enhance the gameplay. Better download speeds and all but those are secondary. 

47 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

My 2 cents.

Just go for the PC version now that you're this close to its release. You'll probably regret getting the console version when you see 60fps PC gameplay start popping up everywhere. The difference will be massive and IMO definitely worth the extra money. And as DF has pointed out in their video, there is a possibility of getting reduced input lag in the PC version, which will make the controls much less cumbersome.

Wait till December for the steam version. By then you'll get a good idea of what the PC port is like. Try it out for 2hrs and if you're not convinced, then you can get it refunded and go for the console version if you'd like.

And not sure if you already know but the console versions take up around 100 GB on the hard drive as well.

Also, is it confirmed we will not be getting a physical edition for PC here? We did get it for GTAV.

Edited by STICK3Rboy

27 minutes ago, STICK3Rboy said:

My 2 cents.

Just go for the PC version now that you're this close to its release. You'll probably regret getting the console version when you see 60fps PC gameplay start popping up everywhere. The difference will be massive and IMO definitely worth the extra money. And as DF has pointed out in their video, there is a possibility of getting reduced input lag in the PC version, which will make the controls much less cumbersome.

Wait till December for the steam version. By then you'll get a good idea of what the PC port is like. Try it out for 2hrs and if you're not convinced, then you can get it refunded and go for the console version if you'd like.

And not sure if you already know but the console versions take up around 100 GB on the hard drive as well.

Also, is it confirmed we will not be getting a physical edition for PC here? We did get it for GTAV.

Thanks man. I think I'll do this. I watched the videos especially the bit about input lag reduction possibility. It's just that I'd' love for it to be on discs and the PS4 price-point seems really tempting.

My 500GB SSD will be crying if this continues :(

1 hour ago, l33tmaniac said:

The fact I could sell it off with just 300rs hit was a major benefit considering I hated everything about the game outside of visuals. Man I'd be pissed if I had spent 3k+ on a digital version.

19 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

The fact I could sell it off with just 300rs hit was a major benefit considering I hated everything about the game outside of visuals. Man I'd be pissed if I had spent 3k+ on a digital version.

What was the major gripe you had with the game?

Edit: I've played RDR1 for quite a bit and really enjoyed it. Want to know what's so different here?

Edited by l33tmaniac

1 hour ago, l33tmaniac said:

What was the major gripe you had with the game?

Edit: I've played RDR1 for quite a bit and really enjoyed it. Want to know what's so different here?

Mostly related to gameplay and how everything felt incredibly sluggish. The game is so up its a*s about realism that it majorly gets in the way of doing repeated mundane tasks. The mission structure is also very restrictive and requires you to play in a very specific manner. For all its modern technical advancements, R* is still stuck in GTA3 when it comes to story mission design. I gave it some 10-12 hours before calling it quits. The story might get better later, but I was honestly done with the tedium. It wasn't going to play any better after 30 hrs. 

Just an example of what I'm talking about. Skip to 1:45 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

Mostly related to gameplay and how everything felt incredibly sluggish. The game is so up its a*s about realism that it majorly gets in the way of doing repeated mundane tasks. The mission structure is also very restrictive and requires you to play in a very specific manner. For all its modern technical advancements, R* is still stuck in GTA3 when it comes to story mission design. I gave it some 10-12 hours before calling it quits. The story might get better later, but I was honestly done with the tedium. It wasn't going to play any better after 30 hrs. 

Just an example of what I'm talking about. Skip to 1:45 

Hmm. Got it. I read about the sluggishness due to input lag even during launch. In that case, I think I'll wait and see if it's fixed in the PC release. If not pick up later at a discount.

4 hours ago, Gavara Tarun said:

Where is the PS4 version retailing for ₹1900?

On Flipkart. The retail price is 2100 and I have 200 coins to use. You can get it for the same price (if you have an SBI card and net cart amount is >3k)

18 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

Horrible experience on PS4. You might as well skip and wait for sale on PC or get it gifted from cheaper store. 

It won't be 150 GB either. Will be 70-80 GB download and 70-80 GB to decrypt. 

I played the game to completion on PS4 (the slim version, note even pro), over 100 hours, it was nowhere as bad as you're suggesting.  There's some sluggishness in character movement, but other than that, I didn't find anything distracting.  It did take a lot of space though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adity said:

Btw does control run any good after patches. I've only been holding off because of performance concerns. 

Pretty good. It was already mostly fixed but they just dropped another patch couple of days ago that should smooth things further. I'd still wait for BF sale or grab it for below 2k locally.

3 hours ago, Ne0 said:

I played the game to completion on PS4 (the slim version, note even pro), over 100 hours, it was nowhere as bad as you're suggesting.  There's some sluggishness in character movement, but other than that, I didn't find anything distracting.  It did take a lot of space though.

Exactly. I played it on the Pro, and it was a smooth experience. Didnt have any issues whatsoever, except the crazy loading time it takes on Rockstar games. As far as storage goes, it takes up 120 GB, but I use a 3TB external HDD on my system so its not really a problem.

@l33tmaniac I like having the physical editions too. If you like the game enough from gameplay videos, get it on the Pro. I dont think the dip in performance from the One X is worth the extra cash you'll have to spend. And if you dont like it you can always resell it. You could resell it and get the PC edition later if you wanted to as well.

Edit: I see people had problems with the game, but I liked it, I played through the whole thing, and I plan to even replay this year. 

Edited by Chirag2001
  • Thanks 1

^^ Same here, I enjoyed the game to the hilt, the first 1-2 hours were a little hard , mainly due to the slow start, but it picks up really well after that.  The quests in chapter 3 , especially that one near the end of chapter 3 , where [hide] dutch's gang ride to the braithwaite manor [/hide] was one of the finest moments in gaming !

PC trailer looks good, any idea the config of the rig reqd to run it at 60 FPS ?

Edited by Ne0

5 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

^^ Same here, I enjoyed the game to the hilt, the first 1-2 hours were a little hard , mainly due to the slow start, but it picks up really well after that.  The quests in chapter 3 , especially that one near the end of chapter 3 , where [hide] dutch's gang ride to the braithwaite manor [/hide] was one of the finest moments in gaming !

Looking at the PC trailer, if one has a rig that can run it, it would be awesome, else, better to get the discounted version !

Bro I guess you were trying to hide the spoiler but I can see it. But yeah, that one was amazing!