DiRT 4

Heaven Angel

M1B984h.jpg

Motorsport by its very nature is dangerous - it says so on the back of the ticket. DiRT 4 is all about embracing that danger. It’s about the thrill, exhilaration and adrenaline that is absolutely vital to off-road racing. And more than that, it’s about loving that feeling. It’s about pushing flat out next to a sheer cliff drop. Going for the gap that’s slightly too small. Seeing how much air you can get in a truck. They call it ‘being fearless’.

DiRT 4 also features a game-changing system called Your Stage; an innovative rally route creation tool that allows you to produce an almost-infinite number of unique stages at the press of a button. You choose your location and set the route parameters, then Your Stage does the hard work to create a unique rally stage that you can race, share with your friends and then challenge them to beat your time. Your Stage allows experienced rally players to create longer, more technical routes, whilst newcomers can create simpler shorter routes as they hone their skills.

rMpZPf2.jpg

d3xtcpf.jpg

IyDzren.jpg

qTSdv76.jpg

OVER 50 OF THE MOST BREATH-TAKING OFF-ROAD CARS EVER BUILT – Including Ford Fiesta R5, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI, Subaru WRX STI NR4 and Audi Sport quattro S1 E2

5 INCREDIBLE RALLY LOCATIONS WITH MILLIONS OF ROUTES – Australia, Spain, Michigan, Sweden & Wales

THE OFFICIAL GAME OF THE FIA WORLD RALLYCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP – Race at Montalegre, Lohéac Bretagne, Hell, Holjes & Lydden Hill in a multitude of different series

LANDRUSH – Short-course dirt track racing in Pro Buggies, Pro-2 Trucks, Pro-4 Trucks and Crosskart vehicles in California, Nevada and Mexico

JOYRIDE - Laptime challenges, smash challenges, free-play area and send challenges to friends

DiRT ACADEMY – Taking place at the DirtFish Rally School in Washington, USA, learn the skills, techniques and practice to become the best!

CAREER MODE – create your driver, compete across the disciplines, gain sponsors and build your team with clear goals and rewards

COMPETITIVE GAMING – Daily, weekly and month-long challenges against fellow players from around the world

NEXT GENERATION OF RACENET – Live ladder, leagues and tournaments, cross-platform leaderboards, enhanced CREST telemetry system

TUNING – Tweak your set-up based on vehicle, track and weather conditions to best suit your racing style

DAMAGE & REPAIRS – Wear and tear is faithfully recreated with an improved and realistic damage model. Damage can be repaired by hiring Engineers to work in the team’s Service Area between stages but with a finite amount of time available.

Title: DiRT 4
Genre: Racing, Simulation, Sports
Developer: Codemasters
Publisher: Codemasters
Release Date: 6 June, 2017
Steam

• 2 weeks later...

Never played this series. Does it have multiplayer?

Yes, but you are better off buying Forza Horizon 3 if you are looking for off-road multiplayer racing game. This is primarily old-school single-player rally racing experience.

This one is VR enabled, right?

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

As of now, no. One of the devs said they will look into it later, so you can expect a patch later on just like in the case of Dirt Rally (Dirt 3's rally-only brother).

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is the EGO engine starting to show its age? Or is it the competition?

The Rallycross Trailer for Project Cars 2 is so much better in terms of car detail (higher polygon count) and overall physics (notice the vastly superior vehicle suspension model). Codemasters on the other hand have decided to stick with creating a well-rounded Rally game at the expense of extra detail and features such as tyre deformation.

Running on a PS4 Pro with HDR enabled at 4K (I think). Even though the video shows off-screen gameplay, you can make out that the game looks waaay better than the previous gameplay trailers that came before.

EDIT: I'm not sure if Codemasters will include all of the features of this PS4 Pro build in the final build in order to maintain parity with the OG model.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried out Dirt 4 over the course of the last two days. Artistically speaking, Dirt 4 deviates significantly from Dirt Rally. Immediately noticeable are the wider colour palette, missing depth-of-field and little-to-no motion blur. The sense of speed is very realistic; a lot more than in Dirt Rally where cars flew through corners and intersections. This works well with the new rally physics engine that was redesigned to include weight dynamics. Basically, vehicle weight is the core of the new physics system. But these changes have also given rise to a lot of criticism. Fans of Dirt Rally especially aren't too happy with Dirt 4. Complaints include downgraded graphics and unrealistic physics. While the latter is unwarranted, there is some truth to the former. The wider colour palette and non-existent motion blur does not hide the low-quality vegetation/trees in Dirt 4. Motion blur and dull colours did wonders for Dirt Rally by drawing away the players attention from the track surroundings while imparting a gritty, cinematic appeal. In Dirt 4, where the tracks/maps are much larger, broad daylight (dry) conditions can look atrocious at times. Sunset in Spain is one such example where the lack of motion blur reveals way too much of the low quality trees/vegetation/foliage. Shadows cast by the trees, objects and tiny foliage in Spain (dry conditions at Sunset) are realistically inaccurate (broken shaders perhaps?) with light bleeding onto rock-faces & roadside gutters that aren't facing the setting sun directly. The Landrush and Rallycross stages are well designed just as anyone would expect from a 2017 racer. I was surprised to notice that even though the density of the vegetation in Rallycross is comparably less than that in the Rally events, its quality did not hurt the overall visual fiedlity of the Rallycross events either while racing or during replays.

Where Dirt 4 really shines is in weather conditions. If the realistic rain drops/snow splattering across your windshield is all to familiar than try taking a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X out for a spin in Australia at Sunset in rainy conditions while driving in cockpit mode. It is a visual treat watching dirt/snow accumulate on the body in chase-cam. The damage modelling is quite comprehensive and definitely a step-up from Dirt Rally. The car interiors are well detailed this time. Dashboards & rollcages are well-detailed and include specular reflections such that you will notice the welded joints and the air-conditioner vents. Even the interior trimmings give off a sheen at night-time. But don't expect this level of detail consistently across all vehicles. I did notice that the interiors of some Rallycross vehicles included extremely low polygon parts that were observable only during replay (dashboard cam) but not while racing in cockpit mode. Car models reflections are on par with the latest racers. However, car models displayed during servicing in between stages feature extremely poor quality engine components. I even noticed that cars were missing hinges to hold a bonnet raised when exposing the engine. The fireworks display, at the end of an event, randomly introduces stuttering with the particles failing to reflect off the vehicle body. The menu is well-designed and the music is really good.

The PC port isn't entirely perfect. The port has potential considering i only had to drop Shadows, Ambient Occlusion & Crowd down a few notches and disable Advanced AO in order to maintain a framerate between 40 to 55 in Wales with 2x MSAA at 4K. Memory leaks haven't been fixed. Prior to the day-one patch, this lead to random stuttering, eventually crashing to the desktop. Following the day-one patch, the stuttering continues to occur randomly but it can be fixed by simply alt-tabbing. The motion blur setting in the Advanced Options under Graphics does nothing. Codemasters really should address at the earliest and possibly include another option for Depth-of-Field. My biggest complaint lies with the unlimited track generator. It can grow boring very quickly because the randomly generated stages don't feel that different, regardless of the length and complexity. As a result, the Michigan and Sweden Rally stages suffers deja-vu far too quickly. I don't own Dirt Rally but from what i've seen on YouTube, the sections comprising individual Rally stages offered greater variety. So far, i've clocked a day's worth of gameplay in Dirt 4. I will get back to this thread once i've properly explored the career mode and unlocked more cars.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dirt 4 looks miles better than WRC 7. Though most may have a hard time believing me, i personally feel that Codemasters have done a wonderful job with Dirt 4. The new art direction explores the use of rich colours in environments while keeping blur to an absolute minimum. Now, if only CM would create some handcrafted stages for Dirt 4.

• 3 months later...

Why is no one playing this game? I picked it up on a whim when it went for 1700 odd on PSN, and because I adored Dirt 3. Hot damn this game is "cool". I like just about every thing. Some 'stages' (game's name for tracks) are breathtaking. There's so much variety. The surfaces, weather,  visibility conditions, everything works. The driving is great, the music is so, so catchy, and there are customisations galore. 

You want to fiddle with the depths, get your own team, engineers, PR agent, facilities? Upgrade them? Your car? Your co driver? You can. Or, if you can't be bothered and just want to race? You can. I love it, and I haven't even touched online. 

Anyone who's playing this on PSN and wants to jam up with a racing noob, please add me. :cheers: 

Archived