Streaming services thread AUDIO

Aftrunner

So with Google Music finally launching in India and the price of 4G data in free fall (thanks Jio, *beep* you AVoId) I think this is a good time for people to start looking at streaming services for music.

FAQ?

1 How much data does streaming audio need?

Depends on your service. Most provide anywhere from 128 to 320KBPS. Some services also give you the option to force it to stream in lower quality (~128KBPS).

On an average though, 320KBPS will take up about 100MB of data every hour.

2 Advantages?

Well you dont need to shove all your music on to your phone. Great if you are using a phone that doesnt have expandable storage (iPhone lulz). You also have access to a higher selection of bands and music.

Plus playlists are fantastic for finding out new music and artists.

Post your impressions of what you have used so far.

So far I have used -

Google Muisc.

Trial 2 weeks.

Cost? 90 Rs per month after trial.

+Excellent playlist curation.

+Tons of playlists

+Pretty solid sound quality

+Cheap

- Only 2 week trial

Apple Music

Trial 3 MONTHS!

Cost? 120 Per month

+Good library

+Different bandwidth streaming options

-Playlist curation not as good as google

EDIT Found this, might be useful.

music_services_comparision.png

http://www.guidingtech.com/61070/streaming-services-india-compared/

Nice thread. Was doing some research on this few days back.

Anyways for me, Airtel Wynk is the best if you are an Airtel user. Best library and great client.

Gaana is decent, Saavn has better library than gaana. Saavn isn't free now in US so f**k them.

Hungama has the worst library of all but it's pro version is free for Xiaomi phones (or only mi5? I dunno) for a year.

Spotify is pretty good, great library.

I am not much into music, but if i am in the mood to listen, I expect the songs I want to be there. In that case, Wynk was perfect for me. Free for Airtel and had best library. Now in US nothing useful is free, and if I have to pay, I will go with Spotify. Google music is like 14.99 per month.

Oh and Jio music was pretty good too.

Was using Applie Music since the day it launched in India until when i switched to Android because the app was beyond crappy.

Subscribed to play music now, finding it pretty impressive.

Moreover plays well with Tasker, to automatically start music when the phone is connected to my car etc.

Another advantage is, the play music app allows me to browse all my downloaded songs and playlists on the car's HU. Apple music didn't do that.

Damn good thread. Didnt knew Google finally did it (launched music).

Even I was looking into music few months back. To add here-

Google music- almost 50k songs can be uploaded from your current library. However, unlike amazon music, it will play from ur uploaded versions. (Rs. 90....love you google... But no free version sadly)

Amazon music - can upload around 20k songs from your library. They wont be uploaded, rather matched from amazon's library. Then it will add the song to your library itself. Not yet launched in India i think

Spotify - Best i think, why? Two reasons. 1) its free :D. 2) has best playlists and new songs just like apple music. Not yet launched in India, but VPNs make it possible. Its has 3 free versions, mobile app, desktop app and one more (maybe browser version). Free version has limited freedom... But hey! Its free.

Been using Apple Music since it launched in India. I was pleasantly surprised with the pricing and have continued since. Even a family account with 5 or 6 users is only 180 a month! The collection is quite good but the service isn't without its hiccups.

The app has just become borderline usable after iOS 10, it used to be significantly worse before this.

A lot of times I get songs which aren't available in the Indian store though many times, if I check back after a few days, the song becomes available; I guess they're doing the amazon thing where they log the searches and pay attention to what isn't available.

Many times the app will just get stuck and won't be able to relay information. Happens if you skip a few songs in a row.

There's no "Download All" option. Ridiculous.

I can't make a choice to remove Indian regional songs from suggestions/top lists. I don't and won't listen to for eg. Tamil songs, but the stupid app will show me those songs anyway. In these ways I feel India should be treated a bit like the EU.

Positives:

I'm listening to a lot more, and a lot of varied music which I wouldn't even be able to discover earlier.

Shazam is very well integrated. Just one tap on Shazam and the song is added to my library.

While streaming from outside your library, you can use Siri to add that playing song or album or playlist to your library.

Saavn and Wynk just don't have the UI right but I'll give Google music a try. Unless it is dramatically better as compared to Apple Music, I don't see myself switching.

Doing things the old way, buying/downloading and copying to phone feels so archaic. Now, you just have to tap that "+". Glorious!

Don't know what I'm doing wrong with Google Music. All I can see are Bollywood, Kollywood etc and not a single Western artist. Wtf?. Went to change preferences and even after selecting Western, the select artists you like was populated by Indian artists. Believe me I tried and scrolled thru literally a hundred cards before I just said f**k it. Not the kind of music I listen to anyway so I just disabled the app again. At least Saavn and Apple don't try to box me in.

I mostly use YouTube (I know, not really audio streaming per se, but I like the extra options of different versions of songs), Amazon Music (to get high quality versions of the more popular stuff I like) and bandcamp (a lot of the stuff I listen to is not popular at all, they are small indie bands who often upload their entire albums on bandcamp for free).

I just bought a turntable and am building a record collection. Digital is OK for when you are outside but serious music fans still prefer their tangible collections.

I just bought a turntable and am building a record collection. Digital is OK for when you are outside but serious music fans still prefer their tangible collections.

Whoa nice.

Don't know what I'm doing wrong with Google Music. All I can see are Bollywood, Kollywood etc and not a single Western artist. Wtf?. Went to change preferences and even after selecting Western, the select artists you like was populated by Indian artists. Believe me I tried and scrolled thru literally a hundred cards before I just said f**k it. Not the kind of music I listen to anyway so I just disabled the app again. At least Saavn and Apple don't try to box me in.

Dont bother with the initial set up. Preferences stuff is pointless.

Just search for an artist/band you like. Then if (like me) you want to discover more stuff like that song/band then scroll down till you get to radio/playlists.

Curated playlists is where its at.

I started a mix on master of puppets and it played a raj kapoor song.

How the f**k can that happen

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

That's gotta be a problem at your end. Probably played a single song and then it went back to your library or something? Cause I have been using it daily for 2-3 hours and that hasnt happened once to me.

Yes it's very easy.You just have to use proxy once for logging in the first time.

How??

I use vpn to play it. If i dont use vpn, then it plays for 14days and after that it asks to confirm location. Spotify allows 14days travelling access if u r abroad, like u live in US but visiting india.... After tht it will stop playing unless u return to us... Tht means, i have to use vpn again

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Archived